• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
You are absolutely correct WaltonParent, accepting responsibilty for a mistake. That's not something a politician will do. Mrs Ragle has shown a lot of class with all of her post here, I really think she is the real deal.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Ms. Ragle, you mention "a large number of citizens want change." The last time I heard a Democrat wanted to make a change, our country ended up as it is now. Change is good when the product of the current establishment is inferior. However, as I have seen through my research, Walton School District is a High Performing School District. Only 5 out of 67 districts in the state have accomplished this 6 times! Why does it need change? What do you want to change to? Change to a low performing school district? I've heard enough about people wanting to feel good and wanted to be respected. We in the business world are glad to have good schools. It helps attract people and industry and our county needs more industry. Keep Anderson in office. She obviously knows how to make a school district work. And, quit whining about respect and common purpose and just do your job!

Okay, so most of us have already agreed that the idea of an "A" school has been skewed and is relatively meaningless in determining the quality of your child's education, right?

The poster boasts that Walton County is a High Performing School District. This is correct. Let's take a look at the state law as to how one gets designated as such.

 Earn a grade of “A” for two consecutive years, beginning with the 2004-05 academic year and have no district-operated school that earned a grade of “F.”
 Comply with the class size requirements.
 Have no material weaknesses or instances of material noncompliance noted in the school
district’s annual financial audit.

This comes directly from the Florida Department of Education. Nowhere in these standards are academic excellence or high school graduation rates measured. So what really matters to us? An arbitrary designation that allows leaders to pat themselves on the back, or an educated population?

Walton County's graduation rate is only 1.2% higher than the state average. The most recent numbers are around 82%. Okaloosa County is will over 90%. Santa Rosa is the same. More troubling is that Walton County is not even up to state averages on FCAT test scores while our neighboring counties exceed them. Only 57% of 10th graders at South Walton High School passed the reading portion of the test. Only 5 percent of the students scored in the top quintile (Highest 20% of scores) while 11 percent are in the lowest quintile -- and of course 43 percent failed. Tell me on what planet does that mean we are an A system educating our kids properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

hkem1

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
South Walton High School has only 14% of its students qualifying for reduced lunch. The state average is 46%. It also spends about $9,500 per student, $1,000 more than the state average. 55% of teachers have a masters degree, as opposed to the state average of 32%.
Despite these advantages, FCAT scores are not that much higher than average.

Forget all the made up ratings and statistics. Just think about the students you know. Many students who want to attend four year colleges right out of high school are forced to supplement their South Walton education with something else. Whether that be FLVS, Niceville, Choctaw, Dual Enrollment--the prevailing attitude is that you can't just go to SWHS, and be prepared for college. That is what needs to change.

mjohnson32459850

Beach Crab
Sep 24, 2012
I can say that I usually do not vote for Democrats but I will not vote for Anderson this time. Her administration grows each time she gets mad at an employee it seems and the latest news is that it is acceptable to just run off an employee when they do not agree with the way a school is ran whether they are right or not. Perhaps Andy could conduct some interviews to see if this information is correct. Maybe the local Principals won't lie or be ordered not to cooperate with the media.

Daydream Believer

Beach Comber
Aug 4, 2012
This was a former post that I made:
“I am a parent who is friends, neighbors, and church members with many teachers. From what I hear, Carlene’s campaign manager is intimidation. Teachers are too scared to speak out against her in public, and believe you me, they have LOTS to say. I am shocked and appalled at the vindictive, revengeful actions that Carlene takes. Because of these actions, teachers are too scared to campaign against her, put a sign for Ragle in their yard, tell their first hand stories, etc. This week, my daughter had to go to an anti-bullying assembly. Perhaps it would be beneficial for Carlene to do the same. This is America. “The Dictator” should be a funny movie that we rent from RedBox, not the daily reality with which teachers live their lives!!!!!
Well, I should have included substitute teachers in the list of those living in fear. Yesterday, I asked a friend of mine who substitutes to put a Ragle sign in her yard. She supports Ragle, but refused the sign because she is so afraid that if the sign is seen in her yard, she will not be asked to sub. Really!!! Please!!! Can we stop the reign of terror??
And yes, I am a Republican for Ragle.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I too am a Registered Republican although I prefer to think of myself as a semi-Libertarian. I'd be glad to put up a Ragle sign in my yard but I've been such an outspoken critic of the school district and have rubbed so many people the wrong way, it might not have the desired effect. Somebody might ride by and say "if that nut is for somebody, I'm voting for the other candidate".