• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Sorry to interrupt the bottled water tangent, but what is being done about the water quality issues? Denial and cover ups are not long term solutions!

Dogs drink out of toilets and puddles and lick their own assholes, giving them bottled water is a complete waste. If you must throw money away, try to aim for a homeless veteran.

Last edited:

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
The charcoal looking stuff is most likely peat that was dislodged during the recent storm. I've picked up some of it lately to verify, and it isn't tar balls from the oil spill. Alabama did have some more tar balls wash up, and according to the reports it was pretty much in the same condition as when fresh, which is more squishy and browner than the peat.
We have always had this peat here. It's harmless. But it's covered up a good bit of the time, so you have to be here a while to see it often enough to get familiar with the difference between it and tar balls.

I hope whatever kind of bottled water you are buying is not distilled, which has all the minerals removed. The minerals are essential for health. And also make sure it isn't crap like Dasani, which is tap water filtered and with some minerals added.

No it is not distilled. I order it and it is delivered. It is spring water. Thank you for the information on the peat

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
Well if I feel better giving them bottled water that is up to me and they are my children. I treat them as though they are and I drink bottled water so I give it to them as well. As I said, I was giving them tap water trying to cut back on expenses. Low and behold they got sick especially the dog. I had a cat throwing up water and my dog had diahrea and was throwing up. They have never done that before. I threw out the tap water and gave them bottled water because someone mentioned the bacteria in the water. My dog does not drink out of the toilet, he is to small. You are entitled to your opinion, but you could be a little more considerate about it.

I wasted $200 taking my dog to the vet and they could find nothing wrong with him. By that time his poop was back to normal and he was not throwing up anymore. Since I am giving them bottled spring water they are all better again. I do my share of donating to causes. Sorry if it is not the one you thiink I should be.

I am not throwing money away if it makes my children (3 cats and 1 dog) feel better.. Especially my dog who is everything to me. Talk about throwing money away. Because of the water I threw $200 away at the vet. I think people will agree that with the water issue going on giving bottled water to any living thing is not a waste. I also think people will agree that this is not a water tangent but a serious issue for all living things involved with water. I myself was shocked when I first heard of it. Something is very wrong there.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
People have some very strong opinions on here which is fine, but I think they could be a little less testy about how they reply. I have the right to do what feels in my animals best interest whether it helps or not. I was very upset about my dog so I really don't appreciate the negative and self rightious opinions. I am sure I am not the only one who gives there animals bottled water and I would love to cut back on expenses that come from ordering water, but if it keeps them healthy I will.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I kind of agree with the notion that we have a lot of "experts" on this forum that would rather play down an issue rather than face the hard facts. Attitude starts at the top and trickles down. In the past I have been a little dissappointed in the way some of our moderators set this tone. I love humor but at times it is not appropriate. Nobody is crying wolf here. We have reason to be concerned about our water quality and everyone should be entitled to state their experiences whether or not there may be a connection. Unless you are a bonafide expert in the fields of biology or civil engineering and have real knowledge about why, where and how digestive bacteria are getting into our water supply then ALL information is important. Are we going to keep making fun of this when tourist start avoiding our beaches because they are worried about getting sick or heaven forbid worse? Of all the things we could poke fun of and joke about this ain't one of them! I read and post on the sowal forum because I care about our community however "some" of us seem to be believe that humor will help this problem go away...

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I think the tourists will blame the local restaurants for food poisoning before they will realize it is the water they are swimming in making them sick.

Either way, bad water is bad for tourism.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I like that suggestion, but it needs some way to differentate it from the purple. Maybe a white cross to denote health?