• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
No, I am not. I'm assistant editor and a reporter for the DeFuniak Herald Beach Breeze. Attending meetings and writing them up is part of my job.:wave: And I got into this conversation because I made an innocent comment about it being the boards's discretion on setting the public speaking time:blush:.

But let me add, I am always open and receiving to parents, teachers, staff or just anyone that wants to talk to me on or off the record. I report the school board meetings to the best of my ability as they are just one of the boards and duties I cover. Hence my offer to share my recordings or cd's of meetings that I receive.

Last edited:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Just heard a snippet on NPR: "... Yes, we need better teachers. But more than that we need better parents.".

Makes sense, even though we already have outstanding teachers. The way they are apparently treated as a contractor, hired by the year, concerns me a great deal. You get what you pay for. Sounds like we are not making the necessary kind of investment that is needed to attract and keep the best of the best teachers.

As for parents, positive & supportive participation in their children's education is everything. Not sure if involvement is truly encouraged by schools these days but it is so important. At every grade level through high school. It is sometimes hard to do with busy lives and jobs. More often than not we get what we give. We have to contribute, participate, have high expectations for education and help achieve them.

Most of you here are involved and that is why you have concerns. And you certainly should. It seems that our education system is undergoing more and more change. But it is sometimes hard to determine whether these changes are for the good or not.

I couldn't imagine the stress that contract work brings to employees unless that is what they want. What would be necessary to change the position of superintendent from elected to hired? County charter? I'm not sure myself how well it would work, but I am always open to new lines of thought and ways of doing things if they don't work.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
Just heard a snippet on NPR: "... Yes, we need better teachers. But more than that we need better parents.".

Makes sense, even though we already have outstanding teachers. The way they are apparently treated as a contractor, hired by the year, concerns me a great deal. You get what you pay for. Sounds like we are not making the necessary kind of investment that is needed to attract and keep the best of the best teachers.

As for parents, positive & supportive participation in their children's education is everything. Not sure if involvement is truly encouraged by schools these days but it is so important. At every grade level through high school. It is sometimes hard to do with busy lives and jobs. More often than not we get what we give. We have to contribute, participate, have high expectations for education and help achieve them.

Most of you here are involved and that is why you have concerns. And you certainly should. It seems that our education system is undergoing more and more change. But it is sometimes hard to determine whether these changes are for the good or not.

Unfortunately, we can't give all children good parents. Most of my teaching career was in schools where children didn't have the advantages of an ideal home. They were children in low income and single parent households and it was my job not only to teach but encourage them to want to learn and better themselves. I always felt that the children in my classes were like my children. While I take pride in the successes of my own children, it was very rewarding to see my students succeed in life. A few years ago a young man stopped me in the supermarket and recognized me from first grade. He was in medical school. Little things like that make my years as an educator worthwhile. I only wish I had the opportunity to continue.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Ann, you were obviously a good teacher. At my very advanced age, I still remember the names of three teachers who affected my life. I have been grateful to them ever since high school. A word about Alicia. She is a fine reporter as is one of he compatriots, Dottie. They don't slant the news as so many do now days. They merely report it which is what good journalists are suppose to do. Too bad there are not more like them around.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Ann, you were obviously a good teacher. At my very advanced age, I still remember the names of three teachers who affected my life. I have been grateful to them ever since high school. A word about Alicia. She is a fine reporter as is one of he compatriots, Dottie. They don't slant the news as so many do now days. They merely report it which is what good journalists are suppose to do. Too bad there are not more like them around.
:love: Thank you, Andy. That means a lot to me. Very nice of you to say. :wave:

Ann, like Andy, I have had many teachers and mentors that have helped me along the way. I will forever be grateful for them as they helped me in ways that just a book or a test never could.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
This might be something that the press might follow up on. A unemployed teacher friend found an opening for a teacher at a Walton County elementary school and it seems that the principal intends to hire a substitute until an intern finishes school in December and then the intern can be hired under contract. Sounds like nepotism to me. But, knowing how the school district is run I'm sure it's legal.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I'm happy to report anything of substance, Meggiemom. And when I say substance, I mean anything that people are willing to "go on record" with. I need people who are willing to speak with me and be quoted on the record. Same for school board meetings. I can only quote those that speak during the meeting or during the public comments of the meeting, or parents that will speak on the record after the meeting. Anyone can email me at alicia@defuniakherald.com or call my office at 892-3232. I'd be happy to speak with your friend and if she feels comfortable going on the record, I'll ask the school their side, and I can submit that.

Parents, concerned citizens, residents, anyone that wants to have a say are always welcome to write a letter to the editor as well. That is the place for opinion ;-). All we ask is you to sign your name, town and leave contact info, like a cell or hm. number so we can verify the letter. We love letters! We do reserve the right to edit for space or content. But all we have had to do recently is edit for political endorsements. By this I mean we welcome all opinion and you can certainly say they are doing a good or bad job, but ask that writers stop short of endorsements. You can email it to dfsherald@gmail.com and mark it Att: Letter to the Editor. Only your name and town run in the print edition and my editor welcomes discussion.

If someone has a candidate they would like to endorse, we'd be happy to sell them ad space. Anyone can do this and we have great rates. We've printed some doozies in the past and sometimes not even during election season.

I just wanted to share all the ways everyone has in sharing their voice in the local press. Our web site is here: http://defuniakherald.com/ and our Fb site: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DeFuniak-Herald-Beach-Breeze/276530294617 and we welcome people reaching out to us with their concerns and opinions :wave:

Last edited: