• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachgirl

Beach Comber
Jun 15, 2005
Shopping around for homeowner's insurance for full-time residence along 30A. So far, choices are ASI/Citizens or Frontline. Has anyone ever heard of Frontline? Feedback appreciated. Thanks!

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
I also had Citizens/ASI after Allstate cancelled us and their policy went up significantly so I shopped - Got a quote from Frontline and also a company called Security First and I went with Security First due to lower rates. There are 4 companies that can legally write a policy in Walton County - Those 3 above and Federated and I hear good things about them! You can call Mike Hardiman at Allstate on 98 for details. Good Luck

Marla Burns

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2007
Hi Beachgirl - just found and signed on with an insurance broker we discovered at a real estate open house in Seagrove recently. Have been with Security First for years & thought their rates were reasonable till we just discovered Term Brokers in Ft. Walton Beach. We're in South Walton, about 300 yds. from the beach and they offered us a great deal with Federated, & saved us $700/yr. over Security First. Way lower deductible, & included sink hole coverage, that we didn't have with SF. Contact Michael McDonald w/Term Brokers @ 850-864-2000. Hope this is helpful info for you.

Last edited:

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Insurance companies avoid Florida like the plague. This is probably a huge factor in the glut of unsold housing units. Contrary to what shyster lawyers will tell you, insurance companies aren't making obscene profits. They do business in areas where there is a possibility of a profit and Florida ain't it.

sadie1

Beach Lover
May 31, 2009
hurricaine insurance co's should have there coffers stuffed full now. there hasn't been much activity in fla for 5 or more yrs. from what i hear many insurance co's seem to be dropping pre 2006 older homes as i believe they;re not hurricaine compliant

PalmBeach

Beach Lover
Feb 21, 2007
I have two properties and I use Frontline and Security First. Both cost less than Citizens.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I believe insurance companies are making unbelievable profit. There is a skyscraper in every major city that will attest to this. I believe that I read where insurance companies have more assets by far than any other industry. The problem with Florida is profit because we have more claims. Insurance has to be spread around and unless they are made to do this they won't. I admit it is a complex issue involving political idealogies but it is not unrelated to insurance companies and agents not making obscene profits and residual income.

Insurance companies avoid Florida like the plague. This is probably a huge factor in the glut of unsold housing units. Contrary to what shyster lawyers will tell you, insurance companies aren't making obscene profits. They do business in areas where there is a possibility of a profit and Florida ain't it.

groveral

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
birmingham
I am in the process of dumping citizens. Dealing with them on payments, and recently having my home inspected, was all I could stand.

I am going with Federated--saving a lot of money. I also heard that Citizens is likely to have a significant increase, 45%, and that the Governor is trying to minimize the customer load they have--a STATE agency.

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
groveral how old is your house?it must be older than 2003. i think thats when the new hurricaine building codes went into effec. I've had citizen/asi combo and i've been stunned how little they;ve gone up in price. i have500k in coverage and i pay $1210 for citizens and $950 for asi which i think is incredibly cheap. citizens has only gone up $200 in 3 yrs which i'm happy with. the combo was cheaper than frontilne or security first when i was looking 3 yrs ago. i hope they don't push everyone off now. i got a letter from citizens last week and they're no longer covering carports,gazabos and many non attached structures.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I live in DeFunn and had the joy of searching for a new homeowners policy this month. Ended up going with Citizens as it was actually almost 300 cheaper than my last policy with another agency that decided to not renew me. I added it up. I have paid out almost $32,000 in the last 15 years on my little 1940's home. I filed a claim over 10 years ago for $600 due to a leaking hot water heater. That is it as far as claims ever filed. It's ridiculous.