• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
If the Superintendent and the School Board members actually cared about parents input, the meetings would not be held in the mornings when most people are at work. I know it would be an inconvience for them, but the meetings should be held in the evening to allow working parents an opportunity to attend. What's convienent for them should not matter, they are elected officials that are supposed to serve the taxpayers. From what I see the Walton County School Board is a joke and a waste of tax dollars.

Last edited:

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
The meeting this morning lasted more than an hour. I guess the highlight was Rep. Coley presenting a certificate to the board for being an "A" district. (Good F-Cat scores). I couldn't help but wonder if any other districts received similar recognition. Anyway it was a good photo op for Mrs. Anderson. Also the district's "energy guru" spoke and touted her success in reducing kilowatts used by the district. Some of Mrs. Anderson's remarks were interesting. She mentioned some of the administrative staff's experience and qualifications and even used the doctor analogy in the discussion. Too bad she doesn't feel that experience and qualiifcations are important in employing instructional personnel. There was discussion about administrative evaluations also. My understanding is that boards in other counties are more involved and are more proactive in the operation of the school district. But in Walton County it's simply a rubber stamp committee. But the school board is required by statute. What's probably needed is that the school board be a volunteer job with no pay like it is in some areas of the country. It really is of no consequence who serves on the board under the present administration.

Daydream Believer

Beach Comber
Aug 4, 2012
Sadly, no one is going to comment or contact you, Alicia, because those who are “in the know” are living in fear. Too bad you will never know what goes on behind the scenes at WCSD. We could write a book, and it would sell!!!
On a side note, I put out signs for Ragle. One third of the signs I put out are gone. Stealing! Really! That’s a great example for our students.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Too bad no one, even prior employees or unhappy parents, are willing to speak due to this fear. Maybe someone should write a book. If it sells they don't have to work there. I really do wish more parents or residents, if employees are too frightened, would step-up and voice their dissatisfaction to the board during meetings. I can only write what others say and if only one side comments, that's all I can report. There has been discussion of moving the meetings back to the evenings. My hope is more people will speak up.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I love the comments of board members when they do have a comment. At the regular meeting Mr. Davis voiced an objection to the findings of an audit because to follow the recommendation of the audit would be "illegal". It's too bad Mr. Davis doesn't have the same concern about the board's breach of the collective bargaining agreement. But I suppose if one is a lawyer, one thinks inside the legal envelope and it's OK to push the edges of the envelope to the point of giving it a hernia.

Last edited:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I included that quote in my last board article, J.P. I don't know if he can top his "horse hockey" comment at another meeting, though. :clap:

I do believe the board is considering changing the meeting to another day or in the afternoon. If parents have a preference, now might be the time to let the board know if they want to participate more by attending or suggesting times or days.