• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
I dont think being concerned about water quality that has been bad most of the summer over reacting... Who wants to swim in sh*t??? Not me...

I do not either. I think there are people that do not want there to be a problem or who have never any repurcussions because of the water that do not want to admit there may be a problem. It sounds like there are more concerned people than not on here. If there is any possibility that there is a serious problem with the water than it should be handled by the appropriate agency, whoever that may be. I will say it again re the drinking water, my dog and cat were sick with very bad stomach problems. Someone that lives here as well asked if I was giving them tap water. I would have never thought water could be an issue. I started giving them bottled water and I kid you not, they both got better in no time. An expensive trip to the vet and it was just the water. We get warning now and then to boil the water and I do not believe they are telling us about all of the times there could be a problem. So I believe at times there is a problem with the drinking water. I'm not saying always, but it is not a coincidence my cat and dog got sick when I started giving them tap water (I used to give them bottled water and stopped to cut back on expenses) they got sick and well when I stopped. The vet found nothing wrong. They are fine now.

I do not want there to be anything wrong with any of the water sources, but I also don't want to get sick from drinking it or swimming in it. I would rather face the facts and find the source of the problem so that it can hopefully be remedied. Our beautiful water and beaches are being polluted (what a terrible word) by something and we need to find out what before it is too late to do anything about it.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
There have been no issues with tap water that I am aware of. Drinking water from the tap should not make anyone or anything sick.

The water quality I am concerned about is the Gulf. That is a well documented health issue.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
There have been no issues with tap water that I am aware of. Drinking water from the tap should not make anyone or anything sick.

The water quality I am concerned about is the Gulf. That is a well documented health issue.

Well, I have heard boil water warnings because of problems with the water on the news. I am not sure of the exact areas they were for, but I have heard them from time to time. Other than that, I did not know of any problems with the tap water either. All I know is someone asked me if I was giving the animals tap water and I looked surprised and asked why? She said that could be the problem so I changed and they got better immediately. I have no idea what that was about, just that my animals went from bottled to tap, got sick at some point after drinking tap water so I took them off of it and they got better. They were not sick the whole time drinking tap water, it was just at some point they got sick. I would never have related it to the tap water had someone not said something to me. How they knew or thought there was a problem I do not know. But it seemed to be the issue or it was a very big coincidence. I then remembered about hearing boil water issues from time to time from the news and other people. That is all I know about the tap water.

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Heartbren, when they give the boil notices it is because there is a current break in a line, they are aware of it, and working to fix it. They WANT to make people aware by giving those notices--I suspect otherwise they would be susceptible to getting sued. I think you can rest easy that they are not withholding information when they should be giving boil notices, as you have suggested.

Furthermore, if your animals have been accustomed to getting bottled water, perhaps they just got temporarily sick because of the switch to tap--tap water has a lot of minerals and trace elements that bottled water has had filtered out. That could upset an animals stomach if the switch was made all at once. I suspect that, had you given them a little time to adjust, they would have been fine with the tap, but it is certainly your right as a pet owner to give them bottled water. It's your wallet.

However, I feel sure that there is no constant, ongoing issue with the quality of the tap water (and certainly no ongoing attempt to hide it from the public, as you've suggested), simply occasional breaks in the system, which happen everywhere else in the US as well--it's not just here. There IS an ongoing problem with the Gulf water, and people do have a lot of opinions, but please stop bringing it back to the tap water.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Heartbren, when they give the boil notices it is because there is a current break in a line, they are aware of it, and working to fix it. They WANT to make people aware by giving those notices--I suspect otherwise they would be susceptible to getting sued. I think you can rest easy that they are not withholding information when they should be giving boil notices, as you have suggested.

Furthermore, if your animals have been accustomed to getting bottled water, perhaps they just got temporarily sick because of the switch to tap--tap water has a lot of minerals and trace elements that bottled water has had filtered out. That could upset an animals stomach if the switch was made all at once. I suspect that, had you given them a little time to adjust, they would have been fine with the tap, but it is certainly your right as a pet owner to give them bottled water. It's your wallet.

However, I feel sure that there is no constant, ongoing issue with the quality of the tap water (and certainly no ongoing attempt to hide it from the public, as you've suggested), simply occasional breaks in the system, which happen everywhere else in the US as well--it's not just here. There IS an ongoing problem with the Gulf water, and people do have a lot of opinions, but please stop bringing it back to the tap water.

Excellent post Kit! Not to pick on anyone but giving bottled water to an animal just blows my mind. It's amazing someone like that can even find the store.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
Excellent post Kit! Not to pick on anyone but giving bottled water to an animal just blows my mind. It's amazing someone like that can even find the store.

Excuse me, but there is a reason I give them bottled water. I stopped because of expenses and they did not get sick for a short period and need to adjust. It went for a while before I realized they needed to go to the vet which was a waste of money. You can have your opinoin about my giving bottled water to my animals. If you think it silly fine, but your post was pretty unsavory. I am sure if you have animals they are not as important to you as mine or you would understand. We are not from here and they may not be used to the tap water as Kit said. At least she was a little more diplomatic and tried not to be insulting which was nice of her. I did not know why they had the boil water notices, I just know I have heard them before. Now I know since she explained it to me. I think we can all have our own opinions without being blatantly insulting. It seems very easy to blow your mind. I am not the only person I know that gives there animals bottled water. I only started again because they got sick when given tap water. You do not have to agree and whatever made them sick at least they are not anymore since they are back on bottled water. It is cheaper than continuing to ttake them to the vet b/c they are throwing up and have diahrea and get dehydrated from it. Frankly, you are an idiot to make such a comment. Basically that is what you were calling me. I thank Kit for having more diplomacy than you. You probably don't know what that word means!!! Now, do you mind getting back to the issue at hand instead of having fun insulting people on here. That is not what this is all about but aparently you get a kick out of it. Oh and I am sure your mind was blown way before you wrote what you wrote or you would not have written it!!!!!! The kindness of people here never ceases to amaze me since I moved here. NOT

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
There is never a good reason for someone not to be kind to others. Everyone has there opinions and their own experiences which very well maybe different than someone elses. I really think there is an attitude on this forum to play down issues because it is a tourist read website therefore the unkindness or bullying attitude must come from the purpose of the website which is to promote tourism. Apparently, you can not have an open forum about the issues affecting those that live and work here and promote tourism at the same time. I think the moderators of this website need to just be honest and tell us not to post anything that would affect tourism unless it is positive otherwise it will lead to exactly what is happening regarding this topic- rude and condescending behavior toward those that may or may not be overreacting to this issue of water quality (both tap and gulf/bay/river). The City of Freeport has had issues with water quality in addition to the breaks in the mains as I get a report from them on a regular basis. The water quality for the beaches and bays are unacceptable IMO. Moderators, if you do not want us discussing this issue on this website just delete the thread otherwise do not set the tone that allows for this behavior.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Members decide which topics of discussion matter to them. Members also set the tone.

Many community issues have been greatly influenced by the thoughtful SoWal members who contribute ideas, listen to concerns and get involved.

The forum is a great community tool. It's up to members how it will be used (for sharing and helping or for whining and attacking?). Moderators may have to give a reminder now and then but mainly members moderate themselves.

This is a community of people. Some are residents. Some are visitors. All who come here to the forum to chat have the love of our SoWal area as a bond. So while tourism is a big part of our town, it does not drive our discussion here. Many members provide a great service by coming on the forum and answering questions, getting involved, posting about an important issue, providing facts, etc.

Kit is an excellent role model for us. Thanks for your input kit.

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Members and moderators set the topics. Moderators set the tone regarding tourist negative issues which is all I am talking about. I have never received a moderator private message for a tourist positive subject matter but many including myself have gotten a private message for a tourist negative subject matter (in my case BP, oil, corexit and the relationship with the TDC). When someone accuses someone else of not being able to "find the store" don't you think that person deserves a "private message" from a moderator to tone it down? Did it happen? If so I stand corrected.

This is a wonderful website, a wonderful community with really informed people and an envirnoment that is considered a "paradise" and all we want is to keep it that way. IMO over-reaction is much less of a problem than under-reaction as this community grows increasing demand for upgraded infrastructure. I do not want to be behind in this struggle for balance between nature and people but we have to start facing some facts and that is that we are behind! It is the nature of people to complain (sometimes justified sometimes not). I believe that good leaders and the moderators are leaders in this community will not accuse people of "whining" just to be whining. Poor water quality is a symptom of a problem that remains unresearched and needs the attention of all of us. I plan to be here for a long time so why would I not want to find out if there is any correlation between water quality and septic systems, sewer systems, fresh water runoff, old dumping sites, the dune lake system or something else yet even thought of?