• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
There was actually a proposal before the county commission for a temporary dog permit similar to what you are describing. Seems like it was a couple of years ago. It proved very controversial in the community, was dropped and has not been considered again since.

Tourists ARE welcome. If it weren't for tourism, our non-chain businesses that make 30A so unique couldn't survive. Many owners couldn't afford the mortgages on their second homes without tourism.

I'm not sure what I think about the rules regarding dogs on the beach. Many people with licensed dogs don't abide by the leash rule and don't pick up their dogs' poop. That's unforgiveable. But having sheriff's deputies patrolling enough to control every infraction regarding dogs would be cost-prohibitive.

I really don't have an answer, but I feel your pain. We sold our home in June, and our new home won't be completed until December. We have had trouble just finding a place to stay that is pet-friendly while we supervise our new home's construction. Our pet's license expired in August, and we can't get her a new license or take her to the beach until we close on the house.

As you can see from my signature photo, she was on a leash.

:welcome: tourists. Sorry that you had a bad experience. I accept the fact that rules are rules, and some don't make sense. For example, as a college professor, why can I wear jeans to class, yet the staff members are forbidden from wearing jeans to work except in special situations? :dunno:

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
What is the reason for the permit requirement?

A. Dogs running amok (off leash),

B. Droppings, and/or

C. Revenue enhancement?

SoWal was discovered and there are too many people with too many dogs. That was the biggest commission meeting I've ever seen when our dogs got banned. I hated it then but I understand it. Even though I have never seen a dog trash the beach like some people. The crabbies love poop. But no sea critter likes man made trash in their habitat.

Still, I always say you gotta know when and where to take your pup to the beach. There is always a way.

Remember Dogs are allowed in state parks but not on state park beaches at any time. Resident or not.

Last edited:

hippiechick

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
The permits required by Walton county to get a tag for your dog to be allowed on the beach are in place for very good reasons.
1. To protect all people, not just tourists, from unvaccinated dogs on the beach, that could pose a
health risk.
2. The permits come with strict policy for when your dog can be on the beach, for the animals protection for when it is too hot for them, and to keep them off the beach during the busiest time of day for beach goers.
3. The permit outlines exactly for Walton county residents what is expected if you want to bring your dog
to the beach.

do some break the rules, or ignore the rules that are in place and take their dogs to the beach without permits, yeah some do. Being able to take dogs to the beach for Walton county residents is a great perk of living here. So
to 4robbins, when you are in Walton county, you have to obey to the same rules as everyone else. Being a tourist does not entitle you to make up your own rules. You don't like the restrictions on your dogs being at the beach, then by all means find somewhere else to vacation.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Got kicked off the beach yesterday with my two dogs on leashes (after 4:00) in Grayton because I'm not a resident. Was not bothering anyone. Had to pack up and drag my kids and dogs off the beach. I come down here at least 4 times a year pumping $ into the economy and this is what I get in return? Looking like South Carolina for my next trip. Thanks Walton County.

I'm a local and have two beautiful labs. I follow the rules and get the permits BUT despise the County Ordinance.

Stating that, I understand your frustration and I always recommend to people who are dog lovers and want them to enjoy time on the beach NOT TO COME TO SOWAL and their anti-dog rules.

I would encourage you to look at St. George Island or Cape San Blas for an option. Very nice beaches, very friendly dog loving people and reminds me of old florida....

I live 1/4 mile off our SoWal beaches and go to those locations for an enjoyable time with our labs who have a great time....

Best of wishes on your search...

Attachments

• abbeyonbeach.jpg
    abbeyonbeach.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I'm a local and have two beautiful labs. I follow the rules and get the permits BUT despise the County Ordinance.

Stating that, I understand your frustration and I always recommend to people who are dog lovers and want them to enjoy time on the beach NOT TO COME TO SOWAL and their anti-dog rules.

I would encourage you to look at St. George Island or Cape San Blas for an option. Very nice beaches, very friendly dog loving people and reminds me of old florida....

I live 1/4 mile off our SoWal beaches and go to those locations for an enjoyable time with our labs who have a great time....

Best of wishes on your search...

We are lab lovers/owners too. And we plan our vacations around pet friendly places. Indian Pass is our favorite. Wide open beaches for our black lab to just fly. She doesn't even care about swimming - which is bizarre for a lab - but she loves playing out there.

I hated the ordinance too. But when I think about all the people with all their dogs, I definitely agree we don't need all that on the beach. Not because of dogs but because of people who may or may not be responsible dog owners. I guess I have to admit, I don't want to be threatened by someone's off leash, untrained, unpredictable dog.

The days of our beach being a place for dogs are long gone. Comes with change I suppose. But I fondly remember when local dogs in Grayton took themselves out on the beach to hang out with people any time during the day.

Last edited:

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
I am a dog lover and I love to see dogs enjoying the beach, but If you've ever had your child toppled of stepped in a fresh pile..... The permit ruled need to be reformed. I like your idea Kish. As is the rule though, one bad apple....

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
I am not a dog owner any more and never took our dog on vacations but here is a thought. Why not have the proper authorities issue a temporary dog permit to vacationers along with a pamphlet with all rules and charge $10.00 to $20.00 per week. Think of the revenue this would generate. The renter would have to be fully aware of all rules and if in violation, there would be a fine and the permit revoked. Just sayin!!!

The idea of issuing temporary permits to tourists to take their dogs on the beach came up again today at the county workshop on the beach activities ordinance. Apparently being able take their dogs on the beach is one of the number-one, if not the top request for tourists. It sounds like a proposal to start issuing these temporary permits may be brought before the commissioners once the workshops are concluded