• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Those are all good and relevant questions for community discussion. Accusations are not useful. Private messages are private. Any moderator intervention has to do with personal attacks or disregard for rules not tourism related topics.

After all these years, I know from experience that this forum is especially dedicated and supportive of important community issues - regardless of your stance - it is a platform for problem solving. The true picture is always the right picture. Especially in the aftermath of a storm or other incidents (BP) when members and staff are reporting all that they can, including photos (and web cams) to provide the information that is needed by everyone effected. Actually, these are the difficult times that have grown the membership and encouraged so much community participation in other ways.

My opinion on the above remarks is that James' comment was rude and unnecessary but heartbren responded and defended herself more than adequately. We are all adults here. I think.

Last edited:

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
I am appalled at what is going on with the Gulf waters and our supposedly pristine coastal dune lakes. No where else in the world are coastal dune lakes other than Australia. This is a disgusting situation which must be solved immediately!!!!!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I am appalled at what is going on with the Gulf waters and our supposedly pristine coastal dune lakes. No where else in the world are coastal dune lakes other than Australia. This is a disgusting situation which must be solved immediately!!!!!

The Dunes Lakes are a real treasure of South Walton.

See Elam Stoltzfus's site about South Walton Dune Lakes. Also see his short documentary.

http://www.coastaldunelakes.org/home.html

Only a few places in the world can lay claim to nature's rate Coastal Dune Lakes. New Zealand's Northland, Australia's Queensland, Madagascar, and Florida's Northwest Gulf Coast are home to these natural wonders. This alone qualifies them as an incredibly rare phenomenon, worthy of discovery and exploration.

The coastline of Northwest Florida is known as one of the "world's most beautiful beaches". The lakes are generally permanent water bodies, although water levels may fluctuate substantially due to rain, groundwater seepage through the surrounding coastal sands, and storms. Sand dunes ranging in height from a few feet to more than 30 feet separate the lakes from the Gulf of Mexico.

The Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance has quite a bit of research, reports and other information on their website regarding the dune lakes.
http://www.basinalliance.org/page.cfm?articleID=47

We really appreciate CBA's work. They are always seeking volunteers to help with projects. Just saw this on their site under October events. Anyone interested?

• All month--water monitoring occurring at over 140 sampling sites throughout the area. If you are interested in volunteering or you want to learn more about CBA's monitoring program--please contact us!

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Maybe I am asking you to be a little more connected to the community issues that are considered tourist negative. The only motive for me to do this is because I care about the community including tourist. You are providing a good community platform to launch tourist positive activities however I am challenging you to improve your game in these areas like water quality. You and I have no idea what the "true picture" is because we do not have enough information. I do not think you would allow "rude" behavior if it was unrelated to a tourist positive theme "come on down to our beautiful clean beaches where the beach waters are beautiful and clean". IMO you will allow the team to fight it out when the game is tourist positive but you will step in when it is tourist negative.

Water quality is a serious issue and we are going to need experts to tell us what the problem is. What if the problem was due to just more people being in the water? We are going to keep asking questions regardless of how ridiculous they may be until we have a "clear picture". If I am asking too much of you then just say that. You are part of what makes this community a better place and I appreciate it very much. Frustration generally clouds the picture and you see your job as one that improves the contrast but has nothing to do with light and texture but I am asking for you to add some light or at least be aware of the lack of it. Of course I am strictly speaking of tourist negative issues because this website nails anything and everything that is fun to do and fun to eat in our paradise. If I am "whining" because I want something then it is only because I want to avoid the crying if something is not done and we find out "oh, if we had only taken this seriously"!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
It's certainly not a new issue. There have been studies and workshops and all kinds of county level work on water quality and dune lakes over the years please see above info from CBA

This discussion is not new on SoWal. We don't have positive/negative tourist issues. We have community issues. They are issues that require work regardless of tourism or any other industry here.

Once again it is the participants of this site who decide which issues are covered here and to what extent. The forum categories have evolved over the years to reflect what the community has decided they like covering. That evolution is never ending.

The people who live here love living here. They are a very positive group. And very involved in their community.

Water quality is an issue in many places. We have other critical Environmental, infrastructure and service needs as well. And not all due to tourism. The rate of growth here has always been huge. Is our county system of govt adequate to meet these challenges? For me, this is the big question.

Last edited:
All anyone can effectively do when passionate about any issue is to do some work, get involved and connected, and be constructive when discussing issues in any forum or setting. It can often feel very frustrating in the process.
Can SoWal.com keep us (especially those of us who aren't residents) in the loop regarding what we can do to be involved? We spend a lot of time in South Walton and will spend more time here after our home is finished in December because it will not be a rental.

We have attended many Planning Commission and BCC meetings in the past due to an issue in Seagrove regarding which we were passionate. So we are willing to drive down from GA, send emails, write letters, etc.

Thanks.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
There is never a good reason for someone not to be kind to others. Everyone has there opinions and their own experiences which very well maybe different than someone elses. I really think there is an attitude on this forum to play down issues because it is a tourist read website therefore the unkindness or bullying attitude must come from the purpose of the website which is to promote tourism. Apparently, you can not have an open forum about the issues affecting those that live and work here and promote tourism at the same time. I think the moderators of this website need to just be honest and tell us not to post anything that would affect tourism unless it is positive otherwise it will lead to exactly what is happening regarding this topic- rude and condescending behavior toward those that may or may not be overreacting to this issue of water quality (both tap and gulf/bay/river). The City of Freeport has had issues with water quality in addition to the breaks in the mains as I get a report from them on a regular basis. The water quality for the beaches and bays are unacceptable IMO. Moderators, if you do not want us discussing this issue on this website just delete the thread otherwise do not set the tone that allows for this behavior.

Thank you! I don't think bullying of any sort for any reason is acceptable anymore. It is unkind and hurtful and I have never understood why people have to post mean words to anyone for any reason. Especially when an adult is doing it. We wonder why kids are so cruel! That is all I have to say about the issue and I never would have got off of the top at hand if James would not had been such a child. You can think what you want, but some things should never be put into words!

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
maybe i am asking you to be a little more connected to the community issues that are considered tourist negative. The only motive for me to do this is because i care about the community including tourist. You are providing a good community platform to launch tourist positive activities however i am challenging you to improve your game in these areas like water quality. You and i have no idea what the "true picture" is because we do not have enough information. I do not think you would allow "rude" behavior if it was unrelated to a tourist positive theme "come on down to our beautiful clean beaches where the beach waters are beautiful and clean". Imo you will allow the team to fight it out if the rude behavior supports a possible "over-reaction" to a tourist negative issue. Yes, i believe the moderators have some responsibility in setting this tone of playing down a tourist negative issue and poster's pick up on it.

Water quality is a serious issue and we are going to need experts to tell us what the problem is. What if the problem was due to just more people being in the water? We are going to keep asking questions regardless of how ridiculous they may be until we have a "clear picture". If i am asking too much of you then just say that. You are part of what makes this community a better place and i appreciate it very much. Frustration generally clouds the picture and you see your job as one that improves the contrast but has nothing to do with light and texture but i am asking for you to add some light and texture or at least be aware of the lack of it. Of course i am strictly speaking of tourist negative issues because this website nails anything and everything that is fun to do and fun to eat in our paradise. If i am "whining" because i want something then it is only because i want to avoid the crying if something is not done and we find out "oh, if we had only taken this seriously"!

Well Said!!

Last edited by a moderator: