• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Augie

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2012
A resident of Driftwood estates is claiming he/they are a victim of "good ole boy politics" because they have some flooding issues when it rains? Did I miss something or is that what the article is about?

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
The entire issue seems to be related to a flooding problem in the Driftwood subdivision and goes back several years. Apparently the HOA wanted the BCC to act to correct the flooding problem, it didn't and continued to issue building permits. The complaint charges that the sheriff failed to act on alleged criminal activity by the BCC. That's my understanding of the whole situation. I suspect the the complaint is designed to draw attention to the problem since the ethics commission does absolutely nothing and will find no wrongdoing as it always does.

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
Some people don't have enough to do. I'm surprised that any decent person will run for office here. There are so many people who thrive on tearing down our elected officials. Their energies would be better spent helping others instead of trying to do harm to others. Get a life people!

I guess if you feel like that, the mess Okaloosa county should still be going on. After all, the good old boy network stuck their heads in the sand and let people buy an expensive boat, an upscale house, a Porsche and who knows what else. Yea, as long as a politician has "R" by his or her name around here they're A OK! As far as decent people running for office goes, they don't stand a chance. The good old boys and girls get the big money from the rich and powerful. And as we all know money is very persuasive.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
This particular case is from a guy with an axe to grind. He is throwing feces long after he failed to get what he wanted. He hijacks meetings and totally wasting our time and tax dollars. If you say anything to him to settle down he starts railing about free speech and defending his country. This lates one he pulled from the far reaches of his rectum. Issuing permits constitutes mortgage fraud?

-Complaint Filed Against Sheriff, Complaint Denied-

A complaint has been filed against Walton County Sheriff Mike Adkinson with the Commission On Ethics.
This right before the Sheriff is up for reelection and about the time Assistant State Attorney Greg Anchors issued a letter denying another criminal complaint by Osborne.

In the October 18th complaint filed with the Commission On Ethics. Osborne says he made known to the sheriff apparent criminal corruption by Walton Commissioner Scott Brannon and what he claims are threats against him and his family. He claims the sheriff failed to take action and says this is favoring friends. Osborne also claims the sheriff sent an email to Brannon's private email address and says it appears he is coaching Brannon on a "dirty land deal gone bad" and covering up a close friend's misconduct. And Osborne talks about free speech and being taken off the commissioner’s agenda and says the sheriff should enforce the ordinances dealing with Driftwood Estate issues.

Kaye Starling, complaint coordinator with the Commission On Ethics, explains the process involves submission of a complaint. She says not all complaints are investigated. They review them to make sure the complaint is submitted properly and falls under their jurisdiction. If the Commission elects to proceed, there can be an investigation. The Commission deals with many complaints, but making a complaint does not mean it is valid. If the complaint is accepted to be investigated and the investigation finds validity, then action can be taken.

Osborne’s complaint was filed two days before a letter from the Assistant State Attorney was issued, denying criminal charges action against the Sheriff and Commissioners. Assistant State Attorney Greg Anchors says the fact the Osborne alleges the sheriff is not taking action on his complaint constitutes mortgage fraud is totally without merit. He says there has been no showing that the sheriff failed to carry out his duties or responsibilities.

Anchor says Osborne also alleges the commissioners, by allowing building permits to be issued on a project constitutes mortgage fraud on the lending institutes because the development plans were violated. He says Osborne has had several lawsuits against the County Commissioners on the allegation and the courts have ruled against him. He says Osborne’s attempts to prohibit the issue of building permits in the civil suit have also been rejected. Anchor says, regardless of the civil actions, the charges do not constitute mortgage fraud against the Sheriff or County Commissioners.

Talking about the Commission On Ethics complaint, Sheriff Adkinson says Osborne notified the media before he was notified and calls it, “Obviously frivolous in nature.” He says Osborne has his own personal failures and he has been advised by the Sheriff’s Office, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the State Attorney and all have agreed with the position taken by the Sheriff’s Office. Adkinson notes Osborne has filed a number of various kinds of complaints and they have been dismissed. Adkinson says when Osborne did not get what he wanted, he started filing frivolous complaints and many were posted on the internet almost as simultaneously as he filed them. Adkinson says it is pretty clear they do not arrest commissioners over building permit issues, saying that would be an abuse of power.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
For those of you so willing to blame a person who has been trying for over 6 years to receive justice regarding development in his HOA, I hope you NEVER are in a similar position.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I'll bet if there had been a flooding or other problem at Hammock Bay, the BCC would have attended to it immediately.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I'll bet if there had been a flooding or other problem at Hammock Bay, the BCC would have attended to it immediately.

Of course they would. When big developers and landowners (who also contribute to Walton County's elected officials) say frog, Walton County's elected officials jump through hoops.

happydays32

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2010
i just read this week's editon of the "walton Sun". The incumbent sheriff says he's a follower of a Japanese auto maker for his management style. Sounds sort of "Pinko" Communism to me.