• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beach Buggys

Beach Lover
Mar 13, 2012
Local
www.sowalbeachbuggys.com
I understand your point, and walking and biking are still a big part of 30A life, but from another aspect you would be amazed at how many of our customers are senior citizens with mobility problems, cancer patients, crippled men and women, the percentages are alot higher than you would think, but also, as the popularity of south walton grows its harder and much more expensive to get close to the beach. many of the vacation homes are a good ways from the beach, have you ever tried lugging a cooler and floats and all the beach supplies you need for a day at the beach a half mile or more, and then running back and forth throughout the day for restroom breaks and lunch and such. From a vacationers point of view I'm sure you can see the appeal in having access to an LSV. At Beach Buggys we do try to coach/educate all renters on local laws rules and general courtesies to try not to give LSV's a bad rap in the area, i wish other companies would go to the same lengths that we do in this area, but i have no control over other companies.

I agree with this statement and its one of the reasons that I'm disappointed to see the low speed vehicles. I had hoped we'd be a walking/biking community.

I think low speed vehicles have a place, but the community needs to be built for it -- with a special driving lanes/paths and parking.

I just don't see the need/ benefit. If its too far to walk or bike, don't go or if you HAVE too, take the car!

jager007

Beach Crab
Dec 31, 2014
Yesterday, I saw one of these "low speed vehicles" (golf cart) traveling very slowly on 30-A near Eastern Lake. A big old SUV tried to pass it, on a curve. The big old SUV couldn't accelerate very fast, and, to make a long story short, came within about three feet of hitting another big SUV head-on. It was as close a call as I have ever seen, and it was caused by a golf cart, that should never have been allowed on the highway.

I know this quote is old, but I'm sick & tired of people who gripe all the time. If people are under age or driving against the law, then police need to give them a ticket. But if LSV are obeying the traffic laws, then quit griping!!!

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
I know this quote is old, but I'm sick & tired of people who gripe all the time. If people are under age or driving against the law, then police need to give them a ticket. But if LSV are obeying the traffic laws, then quit griping!!!

This is a heck of a first post - griping about griping. Pretty bizarre that you made it 18 minutes before the new year.

LVtoo was relaying a close call which illustrates a serious problem. Golf carts don't belong on highways. Whether it is legal or not it's just a horrible idea.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
LVToo is right on point! While street legal LSVs are allowed, they shouldn't be, IMO. The SUV driver was also at fault in trying to pass inappropriately. No one should be in that big a hurry on 30A. If you're in a hurry, go up to 98. Happy New Year, all!

Last edited:

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I see no problem with the LSVs, and golf cars as long as they have tags and are legal for use on the street. I'm told they've been banned at Rosemary Beach already but they're no more dangerous than some of the people on bicycles who pull out in front of people who drive cars too fast on 30a. The key is driving safely and enforcing laws. You can't ban everything you don't like. Some people probably want to ban motorcycles and scooters.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
I see no problem with the LSVs, and golf cars as long as they have tags and are legal for use on the street. I'm told they've been banned at Rosemary Beach already but they're no more dangerous than some of the people on bicycles who pull out in front of people who drive cars too fast on 30a. The key is driving safely and enforcing laws. You can't ban everything you don't like. Some people probably want to ban motorcycles and scooters.

I think there should be a ban on stupidity. Yes, that sounds good, a ban on stupidity it is.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
The folks who keep whining about low speed vehicles are getting tiresome.
1. Nowhere in Florida are environmentally friendly LSV's so vociferously opposed as on bulletin boards in Walton County.
2. Opponents say they're dangerous, yet insurance companies continue to beg to differ. Opponents argue insurance companies must have screwed up the math, and also that evolution shouldn't be taught.
3. Opponents, to suit their need for speed around 30A, say that 30A is a regular ole commercial district and that 30A is not a unique primarily tourist area. [Except that regular commercial highways, allow proposals for Hampton Inn's without much fanfare] hmmmm. maybe 30A is more than just a commercial highway, seems like folks agree with me now on that idea more than ever - duh.
4. LSV opponents prefer the 5 tonne Nissan Armada, or alternatively the 4 tonne GMC Yukon clog all roads on 30A at all times.
5. If you disagree, it must be because you have an ownership stake in these thar new fangled vehicle outfits.

Last edited:

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
When I left Gulf Place today headed north on 393 there were about a dozen cars behind a golf cart, several blew by them on a hill and barely missed cars coming the other way. Golf carts don't belong on highways. Period.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
When I left Gulf Place today headed north on 393 there were about a dozen cars behind a golf cart, several blew by them on a hill and barely missed cars coming the other way. Golf carts don't belong on highways. Period.

So the drivers trying to pass the golf cart would have been responsible if an accident had occurred, assuming that the golf cart was properly licensed?