• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
I have been tasked with making a pumpkin pie from scratch for Thanksgiving.

I do a fair amount of baking. In fact, I make a pretty good pie crust. I also do a lot of sourdough bread and biscuits. I have made pies and cobblers but have never made an actual "from scratch" pumpkin pie before.

Have to emphasize, I was told it has to be from "scratch." A real pumpkin and all that. No canned mixes.

Anyone have any tips or recommendations? I already know to use a smaller, cooking-type pumpkin over a big, ol' jack-o-lantern type. Anything else I should know?

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
I always just use the canned, but I think if you hack the little pumpkin into smaller pieces and bake it til tender, then mash it up and use the rest of the recipe on the canned stuff, it would probably work. Have you googled? LOL.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Or, you could probably bake it whole, scrape out the inside and go from there. (I would remove seeds before baking...;)

30A Eats

Beach Lover
Dec 14, 2011
30A
www.30aeats.com
Hi Ken!
It is pretty easy to find baking pumpkins at Publix, and to cut them open, remove seeds and bake! I have even cooked them in the microwave. Here is a recipe that you might find helpful: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/suzannes_old_fashioned_pumpkin_pie/ It calls for a "sugar pumpkin", but a small-med baking pumpkin will do! The comments left are also helpful if you skim through prior to baking! Good Luck! Susan

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
I have done some Googling and thinking on it. Here's what I'm thinking right now. These are notes I made to myself, which is why they're written in first person.

Comments and opinions are welcome.

----------------------------------------------------------------
[h=5]Pumpkin Pie Notes[/h]
Maybe do something like a custard flavored with real pumpkin (see Alton Brown’s pumpkin puree recipe below).

[h=2]Ingredients[/h]
  • 1 (4 to 6-pound) baking pumpkin, rinsed and dried
  • Kosher salt
[h=2]Directions[/h]Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Slice a small piece of skin off the one side of the pumpkin so when laid on its side, the pumpkin will lay flat without rolling. Remove the stem and split the pumpkin in half from top to bottom, using a large cleaver and a mallet. Scoop out the seeds and fiber with a large metal spoon or ice cream scoop. Cut the fibers with kitchen shears if necessary. Reserve seeds for another use.
Sprinkle the flesh with kosher salt and lay the halves, flesh side down, on a parchment paper-lined half sheet pan. Roast until a paring knife can be easily inserted and removed from the pumpkin, 30 to 45 minutes. Test in several places to ensure doneness.
Remove the half sheet pan to a cooling rack and cool the pumpkin for 1 hour. Using a large spoon, remove the roasted flesh of the pumpkin from the skin to the bowl of a food processor. Process until the flesh is smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.

Paula Deen’s custard recipes seem to involve 2 egg yolks for each ½ cup of whole milk. The two recipes I saw used 1 cup milk (4 egg yolks) and 1-1/2 cups milk (6 egg yolks). Also some sugar (amts vary wildly from one recipe to another).

I think I would like to use a can of condensed milk as part of the milk amount, NOT in addition to. Then maybe half-and-half or cream for the rest. Would buttermilk work? Probably not, for the same reason it doesn’t work in potatoes au gratin—not much fat.

May try using Alton Brown’s gingersnap cookie recipe for the crust (see below).

1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. ginger powder
1/2 tsp. cardamom
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
10 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. dark brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. molasses
2 tsp. grated ginger
1/2 c. candied ginger
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cardamom, clove and salt.
Place the brown sugar and butter into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on low speed until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the molasses, egg and fresh ginger and beat on medium for 1 minute. Add the crystallized ginger and using a rubber spatula, stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until well combined.
With a 2-teaspoon sized scoop, drop the dough onto a parchment lined half sheet pan approximately 2-inches apart. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 12 minutes for slightly chewy cookies or 15 minutes for more crisp cookies. Rotate the pan halfway through cooking.