• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I want to write an article and maybe even an editorial on this issue next week. Seems all this time we've been losing funds from cameras that can't read the raised design. The contract, if approved, according to the article I have attached will go to a private company as well. Is it just me or does anyone else think that this might be a camera vendor design flaw and not something that tax payers should have to address? If it has been going on this long, should the state ask the camera vendors to replace their products or the tax payers to foot a bill? Scott maintains the tax payers won't have to pay, because the people who don't get the new tags will be fined and absorb the cost. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this and if you'd like to share that opinion with me for print, hit me up with an email to alicia@defuniakherald.com with your quote and thoughts. Thanks! http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/10/13/florida-may-get-new-license-plates

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
It's a waste of money and a completely unnecessary cost to taxpayer's, I don't care what Gov. Scott says. The cameras are an intrusion on our Constitutional rights, anyway, IMO. I really don't care if it is a camera flaw or a license plate flaw, it does not need to be done and I, for one, protest vehemently about being required to buy new license plates when mine are quite readible by anyone under normal circumstances.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I'm also concerned about our tax collectors office if I read this correctly, Andy. I need to do more research, and call Mrs. Skipper and see what she has to say, but, I've been happy with their service to me, personally, and right now with what little I know, this doesn't quite pass the sniff test if you know what I mean. ;)

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I know exactly what you mean and agree completely! The talk of changing who issues the plates and yearly tax collection is ludicrous on its face. Why do you mess with a system that is more than functional, everyone appears to be happy with and is convenient. Lets conscentrate on changing the things that are broken not the ones which are not.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
This is a camera problem, not a license plate problem.

Why should law abiding citizens have to pay more money and be inconvenienced so that a private company can profit with a flawed product?

Add this to the list of reasons why these cameras are a bad idea.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Despite what the politicians tell us the cameras do impede due process. If someone else drives a car registered to you and you refuse to rat them out you'll pay the fine. The law does not require you to implicate another person. The burden of proof is always on the accuser. If you are the car owner you'll pay the fine. You could win on appeal if you're innocent but the cost to appeal is $1 more than the fine. It isn't cost effective to appeal it and the judges in the the traffic courts (at least in Tallahassee) are two bit shysers.

Last edited:

lauralbardin

Beach Lover
May 23, 2012
I went through the mid bay bridge sunpass and my sunpass battery was low- it didn't read sunpass. The cameras worked just fine reading my tag as I got a violation in the mail bc I had the wrong tag on my acct! The picture I got in mail of my tag and car was pretty good!

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
We've been to most of the FSU home games this year. I've been driving my daughter's Expedition and I make it a point to get in the mud before the trip to Tallahassee making sure all the tag numbers aren't visible.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
We've been to most of the FSU home games this year. I've been driving my daughter's Expedition and I make it a point to get in the mud before the trip to Tallahassee making sure all the tag numbers aren't visible.

Sounds like someone must have run a red light in Tally before. :)

Good luck going through Gadsden County if you are even slightly above the speed limit, and especially if you are very over it...(roll eyes)

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Now wait a minute. When you have to replace your tag, isn't it the same price as if you were just having to renew it?

If LLL's car and tag were perfectly clear in the shot from the Mid-Bay, sounds like a camera issue to me. :doh:

Last edited: