• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pacoy53

Beach Comber
Feb 25, 2010
My fiancee and I are spending Christmas, doing the dramatically different, spending it where my heart was so happy...at one time! Emptly Nest Syndrome, longing to return to/share the wonders of your community! My last visit, 2001. Any major changes? More commercial? Just hoping for peace, joy and renewal. Rough few years, as for so many. And heads up for weather conditions during the week of Christmas? Making do with what we can. Can't wait to smell the ocean again. Heads ups welcome!

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
You will have a GRAYT time! Weather is unpredictable but mild compared to points north. Could be 70s or could be 50s. Compared to 2001 there are some new buildings at the intersection and east and north of 30A. But Grayton is still Grayton - very cool and laid back!

pacoy53

Beach Comber
Feb 25, 2010
So awesome to know that Grayton is still Grayton! I remember being there when very young also...Daddy was an officer, stationed at Ft. Rucker, and Grayton was a unique little place He loved.
We will be staying at the Duplex, East, and saw that the contract includes a release of liability for the "pool area"...when I was there in 2001, there was no pool. Just curious. Is the "general store" (as we called it then) still on the corner? And thanks for the weather headsup. We're prepared! Weather here in Southern Indiana is unpredictable, but unusually ugly this years! Ready to see the Ocean again, instead of the Dirty Ohio River.

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
I am sure you will have a wonderful time at the beach for Christmas! BTW, Grayton is much different than it was in 2001. No more Patrone's - I used to love to ride my bike thru there! No general store on the corner - it is now a restaurant. Larger grocery on the corner of 30-A with other shops. Make sure you check quality of water before even putting your feet in the Gulf or Western lake. High levels of e-coli have been detected in the Gulf waters. The Ohio River is probably cleaner than the Gulf waters in Grayton and surrounding areas! I would still rather be in Grayton for Christmas than in Atlanta. I will be spending Christmas in NOLA!!!!!!!

pacoy53

Beach Comber
Feb 25, 2010
...thanks for the heads-up. Still...getting away from the Mighty Ohio is worth any changes that may have taken place in Grayton! The Ocean doesn't lose it's draw! We can't wait. What type of restaurant is now on the corner, where the General once stood? We will be packing essentials.

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
It's called Shorty's. Casual. Actually have never eaten there. There are 2 Publix's now. One on 98 and another at Watercolor, which is the closest. Grayton doesn't look much different, just wanted to give ya'll a heads up. Have a wonderful time!!!!!

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
The ohio river is cleaner than the gulf at grayton and surrounding areas? Thats a bigger joke than gov christie of new jersey winning a body building contest. I've been going to grayton yearly since 1987 and yes a few things have changed such as names of shops are restuarants and yes its much much more crowded but it hasn't lost the charm people all over the nation love.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Grayton has a few monster houses now. Patrones is long gone. It has several restaurants and they are all wonderful. Yes it's changed a lot but still wonderful Grayton. The beach is the best in all the land (a tad crowded in July). You will love it.

Last edited:

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
The beach may be the best, but my family will NEVER get in that water again. People, open your eyes!!!!! I've owned property there for 10 years and have always planned on building and retiring there. Taking my grandchildren to the beach and playing in Western Lake the way my son did. It was a magical place. Unfortunately, greed has taken over. Check out the water quality! Grayton Beach's e-coli counts were TNC - too numerous to count just recently. We will be selling our property and moving on! It breaks my heart because I have been visiting the area since 1984!!!! It was always my dream to live there fulltime. I actually know nothing about the Ohio River, but I do know that the Gulf at Grayton and most of 30A including Miramar Beach are a cesspool!!!!!!! Wake up and get the facts!!!!!