• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Catering to a bad idea.

I'm not saying its not going to help golf carts, I'm just saying if the county planners are catering to anyone its the tourists and rightfully so.
If you are genuine in your desire to keep the tourists happy, let's try to make sure they all go home in one piece. Golfcarts are just not meant to be mixed with full size cars (not to mention large delivery trucks). Why would the same people that worry about airbags and child seats and seatbelts in their everyday vehicle, take leave of their senses on vacation?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Has anyone ever seen a golf cart go 25? Best I have clocked is 19 and they were kids trying to make it redline.

Just as my car will never use the far right portion of my speedometer, golf carts don't actually go 25.

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
Ever wonder why "growth" is assumed as good? Moar more moar? What's the end goal with growth exactly? More than yesterday means there will be less tomorrow, no? Numbers go all the way to the top but do resources?

Growth for growth's sake is a symptom of a disease. Currency induced cost-push inflation is trying to be outrun by individuals, companies, communities and finally economies trying to dilute their way out of purchasing power loss. It isn't that we need more of anything, we need less money printing. Actually we need to not use debt as money but that's another paradigm. It forces growth and speculative spending. It encourages greed.

It isn't one issue, it's every issue which is fueled by the need for perpetual motion. More input than output leads to wrongheaded decisions and false growth. Just change the numbers to reflect seasonal adjustment or sum-such and it'll be bridges o'er pair-o-dice.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I'm not saying its not going to help golf carts, I'm just saying if the county planners are catering to anyone its the tourists and rightfully so.

..but does it have to be done with total distain for the residents rights?

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Posted on county web site today:
Posted on: December 3, 2012[h=3]WALTON COUNTY PUBLIC WORKS MOVES TO INCREASE SAFETY ALONG SCENIC 30A[/h]WALTON COUNTY PUBLIC WORKS MOVES TO INCREASE SAFETY ALONG SCENIC 30A
DeFuniak Springs, FL… In an effort to increase safety along Walton County’s Scenic 30A, the County’s Public Works Department has made a few changes with additional work to be done.
The project and processes that are currently being instituted were initially generated by citizen concerns that the area needed some additional safety measures put in place. The Department of Public Works began the planning process in early November and is currently working to ensure the safety of this stretch of road.
"Safety is our number one priority. This is a temporary measure instituted by the previous board until we build the bridge over Western Lake,” said District 5 Commissioner Cindy Meadows. “I will be proposing to the BCC that we use bed tax revenues to build the bridge and maintain the paths based on the Florida Attorney General recent opinion that bed tax revenues may be used if deemed tourist related by the governing body."
The project will include the following improvements:
1. Extend the existing 25 mph speed zone that begins west of Watercolor to encompass the two Western Lake vehicular bridges. (Complete)
2. Install informational signage to heighten driver awareness of the close proximity of pedestrians and bicyclists on the two bridges. (Complete)
3. Re-stripe the entire area and install more reflectors to heighten driver awareness. (In Progress)
4. Install candlesticks (flexible vertical visual/physical barriers) between the eastbound lane and the multi-use path/paved shoulder. (Forthcoming)
If the public should have any questions or concerns, please contact the Walton County Department of Public Works at 850-892-8108.

www.co.walton.fl.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=559

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
Posted on: December 3, 2012WALTON COUNTY PUBLIC WORKS MOVES TO INCREASE SAFETY ALONG SCENIC 30A

WALTON COUNTY PUBLIC WORKS MOVES TO INCREASE SAFETY ALONG SCENIC 30A
DeFuniak Springs, FL… In an effort to increase safety along Walton County’s Scenic 30A, the County’s Public Works Department has made a few changes with additional work to be done.
The project and processes that are currently being instituted were initially generated by citizen concerns that the area needed some additional safety measures put in place. The Department of Public Works began the planning process in early November and is currently working to ensure the safety of this stretch of road.
"Safety is our number one priority. This is a temporary measure instituted by the previous board until we build the bridge over Western Lake,” said District 5 Commissioner Cindy Meadows. “I will be proposing to the BCC that we use bed tax revenues to build the bridge and maintain the paths based on the Florida Attorney General recent opinion that bed tax revenues may be used if deemed tourist related by the governing body."
1. Extend the existing 25 mph speed zone that begins west of Watercolor to encompass the two Western Lake vehicular bridges. (Complete)
2. Install informational signage to heighten driver awareness of the close proximity of pedestrians and bicyclists on the two bridges. (Complete)
3. Re-stripe the entire area and install more reflectors to heighten driver awareness. (In Progress)
4. Install candlesticks (flexible vertical visual/physical barriers) between the eastbound lane and the multi-use path/paved shoulder. (Forthcoming)
If the public should have any questions or concerns, please contact the Walton County Department of Public Works at 850-892-8108.

Thanks @miznotebok!

Then there is no reason speed limit should be 25 after the bridges. Done & Done. I can expect public works to be out there later this week to remove the signage that is 1/2 mile from the end of the last bridge?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Posted on: December 3, 2012[h=3]WALTON COUNTY PUBLIC WORKS MOVES TO INCREASE SAFETY ALONG SCENIC 30A[/h]WALTON COUNTY PUBLIC WORKS MOVES TO INCREASE SAFETY ALONG SCENIC 30A

I'm glad Cindy Meadows is aware of this-I feel like she is more trustorthy than the rest of them. Interesting that she states that the plan was initiated by the previous board. Hmmm. Funny that nobody who pays attention to this stuff remembers anything being discussed about it. I have no problem with any of it other than the absurd notion that any special signage or speed changes need to be enacted west of the toe of the Western Lake bridge while heading west on 30-A.

And I love the fact that she will be advocating the usage of bed taxes for improvements instead of relentless marketing. That will prove to be an interesting squabble to watch.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
TDC workshop going on now- maybe funding the bridge and bike path improvements will come up!

TDC workshop going on now- maybe funding the bridge and bike path improvements will come up!
I wish I could be there, but I'm giving final exams this week. My administrative assistant is in the hospital, so I have to be in GA.

Thanks for representin' those of us who agree with your intelligent and well-thought-out point of view.

Last edited:

30aconcerned

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2012
Finally some sanity!!

Where the TDC could actually come into play is using some of the TDC funds to build the 2 pedestrian bridges over Western Lake. To get this road back to a sane speed limit and make it safer for bikes and pedestrians, we have to get those bridges built ASAP, and it shouldn't be just citizens paying for it. This is one of the busiest stretches of the bike path, and we needed these bridges 10 or more years ago. Other lakes got bridges, and I always wondered why the busiest stretch didn't get them.

This is an example of one of the issues that needs discussion at these TDC workshops- more TDC sharing of the maintenance and improvements to our infrastructure that is used and burdened by seasonal tourists. They should share the cost.

As for the golf carts, hopefully they will soon go out of fashion along with clothing that has words written on the booty, SoWal as a free-for-all spring break destination, and the private beaches concept of people with too much money and self-importance (golf carts are their perfect accessories :doh:).

To the disappointment to all of the Golf Cart Conspiratorists' ( and yes the idea to build a cart path for them is idiocy!) this is about safety and if it calls for slower speed limits across those dangerous bridges ( for Tourons and Locarons alike) until the pedestrian bridges can be built with the begrudged use of TDC funds then so be it. If the "vettes" pass in this area they deserve a ticket. This time hive the BCC credit gor thinking of everyone's safety over getting to wherever two minutes sooner.