• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Well, it's been quite some time since I did one of these mph problems, so if you get a different answer let me know. I did drive there this morning and it is .6 mile from the west end of the western bridge until you get to the 35 mph sign, which is near Wilderness Way. According to my calculation it takes 48 seconds to go .6 mile at 45 mph, and 86.4 seconds to go the same distance at 25mph. The difference is 38.4 seconds. This is what we are all debating here, 38.4 seconds. Is this really going to make someone late for something? (I know, it seems a lot longer, sort of like a watched pot.)
35 mph (or 36) might be a nice compromise - then the difference between that and 45 mph for the same .6 miles is only 13.71 seconds.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
If that were the only "slow" spot! Try waiting through the 395 intersection, only to run the gauntlet of Seaside, then Watercolor and now on to Grayton. Add that up and see why I go the long way around in season. A waste of gasoline at best. Just build the bridge already.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
Well, it's been quite some time since I did one of these mph problems, so if you get a different answer let me know. I did drive there this morning and it is .6 mile from the west end of the western bridge until you get to the 35 mph sign, which is near Wilderness Way. According to my calculation it takes 48 seconds to go .6 mile at 45 mph, and 86.4 seconds to go the same distance at 25mph. The difference is 38.4 seconds. This is what we are all debating here, 38.4 seconds. Is this really going to make someone late for something? (I know, it seems a lot longer, sort of like a watched pot.)
35 mph (or 36) might be a nice compromise - then the difference between that and 45 mph for the same .6 miles is only 13.71 seconds.

well_actually_small.jpg

Wish it was that cut and dry. There is a lot of "If X, then Y" going on.

If limit < or = 35 mph, then golf carts. If golf carts, then de facto rate of travel is no faster than 25mph.

If limit > or = 36 mph, then no golf carts.

I would assume an enforcement tolerance limit of no more than 9 mph.

Limit | Rate of travel:

25 mph | 25 mph
35 mph | 25 mph
36 mph | 45 mph
45 mph | 54 mph

Factor in acceleration... A golf cart gets to 25 as fast as a six cylinder sedan gets to 60... those are seconds.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I respectfully disagree with the idea that the westbound lane needs to be 35MPH. I again travelled the road today and know this is rural road disecting wetland on the southside and state forest on the northside of 30-A between the toe of the bridge and Lake Place. No crossroads or business driveways-the only exception is the driveway that I think the park rangers use to go back to a supply area and the state park entrance. Other than that, nothing in terms of across the HWY traffic. The limit already is 35MPH where there are drives intersecting 30-A. The amazing thing is that when one travels west down 30-A past Grayton Corner and the speed limit goes back to 45MPH, the road looks exactly like it does between the lake bridge and Lake Place-same shoulders, same placement of the bike path, same lack of intersections...so why do we need to make the change that just got jammed down our throat? Simple-follow the $$$!

We are on the same wavelength, Skunkape. The roadway from WaterColor to Grayton is identical to the roadway from Grayton to Redfish village. It is a rural highway surrounded by state forest, with very few intersecting roads. By all means, we should reduce speed nearing the Grayton intersection, but the rest of it is scenic rural highway. There is no traffic problem, that warrants 25mph . Again, a simple metal guard rail between vehicular traffic and bicyclular traffic at the two bridges would make everyone feel comfortable. I know: way too simple...it could never happen.:bang:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove

Here is some math I did. Assuming a delay, one way, of 40 seconds five days a week which is pretty much what I would experience) this boondoggle of a project costs me 173.3 minutes, aka damn near three hours extra drive time yearly. Screw that! And it isn't the time, it is the PRINCIPLE that solutions that cost extra money and time do NOT need to be enacted to remedy problems that DO NOT EXIST!!!

Last edited:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Here is some math I did. Assuming a delay, one way, of 40 seconds five days a week which is pretty much what I would experience) this boondoggle of a project costs me 173.3 minutes, aka damn near three hours extra drive time yearly. Screw that! And it isn't the time, it is the PRINCIPLE that solutions that cost extra money and time do NOT need to be enacted to remedy problems that DO NOT EXIST!!!

You could get some cd's and learn a foreign language. You would become fluent sooner. :dunno:

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I have a solution that will make everyone but the golf cart pimps happy:

Change the speed limit to 37 mph and expedite construction of a separate
pedestrian and bike bridge.

This makes us safer and is consistent with standard traffic practices. It also makes the tourists happy.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm not sure we need the math... it would be great to have pedestrian bridges (however ugly and controversial they will probably be) but, in all reality, all we need is steel guard rails. There are exactly two places in all the highway/bicycle path from WaterColor to Redfish Village where there is a congestion problem. A little movement of paint, and a @#$%^& guard rail. End of problem. This is a no-brainer...

30aconcerned

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2012
Simple is as simple does......

I'm not sure we need the math... it would be great to have pedestrian bridges (however ugly and controversial they will probably be) but, in all reality, all we need is steel guard rails. There are exactly two places in all the highway/bicycle path from WaterColor to Redfish Village where there is a congestion problem. A little movement of paint, and a @#$%^& guard rail. End of problem. This is a no-brainer...

After those two posts you better quickly go find your mind that has obviously wandered off. Also, way too
much math!!!!