• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jill Tanner

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2007
www.alaquaanimalrefuge.org
Sharing recipes is a great way to try something different. You all probably have your staple dishes that you cook every year, but would maybe like to try something new. Post your favorites below so we can all eat well this holiday season. I'll start with my grandmother, Gagie's, famous mac and cheese.

Preheat oven to 350°

You will need:
1 pound of sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can mushroom pieces (optional)
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
1 small jar of pimentos, chopped
1 8oz package of elbow macaroni
1 sleeve of butter cracker, crushed

Cook macaroni according to package; drain
Place macaroni in large mixing bowl
Add all other ingredients while pasta is hot; stir
Spread mixture in 13x9 casserole dish
Sprinkle with cracker crumbs

Bake at 350° for 25 minutes until bubbly

I grew up eating this delicious dish and still make it all the time. It is quick and easy. I hope others will share some grayt recipes. Thanks!

For other recipes visit SoWal Recipe forum:
http://sowal.com/bb/forumdisplay.php/44-SoWal-Recipes

30A Eats

Beach Lover
Dec 14, 2011
30A
www.30aeats.com
30A EATS Holiday Recipe's

That sounds delicious Jill! Will have to give that one a try!
I will be posting several Holiday Recipes over the next 12 Days of Christmas on 30AEATS.com, and last night posted a Festive Champagne Mojito to kick off the season. It can be found here:http://30aeats.com/recipes/festive-champagne-mojitos/. I have also included a link to VIE People + Places that shared my entire Holiday Menu online.
Thank you for sharing! Susan Benton

Sharing recipes is a great way to try something different. You all probably have your staple dishes that you cook every year, but would maybe like to try something new. Post your favorites below so we can all eat well this holiday season. I'll start with my grandmother, Gagie's, famous mac and cheese.

Preheat oven to 350°

You will need:
1 pound of sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can mushroom pieces (optional)
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
1 small jar of pimentos, chopped
1 8oz package of elbow macaroni
1 sleeve of butter cracker, crushed

Cook macaroni according to package; drain
Place macaroni in large mixing bowl
Add all other ingredients while pasta is hot; stir
Spread mixture in 13x9 casserole dish
Sprinkle with cracker crumbs

Bake at 350° for 25 minutes until bubbly

I grew up eating this delicious dish and still make it all the time. It is quick and easy. I hope others will share some grayt recipes. Thanks!

For other recipes visit SoWal Recipe forum:
http://sowal.com/bb/forumdisplay.php/44-SoWal-Recipes

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
That sounds delicious Jill! Will have to give that one a try!
I will be posting several Holiday Recipes over the next 12 Days of Christmas on 30AEATS.com, and last night posted a Festive Champagne Mojito to kick off the season. It can be found here:http://30aeats.com/recipes/festive-champagne-mojitos/. I have also included a link to VIE People + Places that shared my entire Holiday Menu online.
Thank you for sharing! Susan Benton

Susan - I want to see some of your recipes here! Especially the crab dip...

This tastes so good! If there are leftovers (which is unusual), our daughter calls the slices "meat cookies."

Beef Arista (Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Rosemary)

This is a Tuscan dish normally done with pork. However, we prefer beef on Christmas Day.

4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper, or to taste
1 beef tenderloin
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil

Combine the first 4 ingredients and mix well to form a paste. Make slits ½ inch deep all over the tenderloin and insert some of the mixture into each slit. Rub the tenderloin with the remaining mixture, then rub with olive oil. Preheat the oven to 400, then roast at 325 until done (about 45 minutes, depending on how rare you want it). Carve the roast, garnish with rosemary sprigs.
Serves 8.

30A Eats

Beach Lover
Dec 14, 2011
30A
www.30aeats.com
APPETIZERS AND TAPAS, RECIPES, SEAFOOD
Holiday Hot Crab Dip

Posted by Susan on Nov 19, 2012
A New Orleans Holiday Crab Dip
When I think of food during the holiday’s I think of crab dip. Growing up in New Orleans, fresh Gulf Coast crab dip was a traditional appetizer served in most homes, especially on Christmas Eve. This dip is terrific with toasted french bread slices or melba toast rounds. It is quick, easy, and a crowd pleaser.
Holiday Hot Crab Dip
Recipe from Arnaud’s-New Orleans
Ingredients:
Serves 8

• ¼ cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • ½ cup finely chopped celery
  • ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 small clove garlic, very finely chopped
  • 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over and all bits of shell and cartilage removed
  • 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
  • 2 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
  • ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
  • ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
  • Parsley sprigs, for garnish
Arnaud’s French Quater New Orleans
Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. To make the toasted bread, slice the french baguette into ¼-inch rounds. Arrange the slices on a baking sheet and toast just until pale golden. Turn and brush the other side lightly with olive oil, toast again until golden and set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add and sauté the onion, celery and bell pepper until translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two, until tender but not browned. Add the cream cheese and sour cream and stir constantly until the cream cheese melts and the mixture comes to a simmer. Gently stir in the crabmeat, reduce the heat to very low and simmer for 3 minutes.
Add the Creole seasoning, green onions, parsley, Parmesan and Swiss cheese. Stir together to blend and bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
Divide the mixture among individual ramekins or shallow serving dish and place on plate with several croutons alongside each one, for scooping. Garnish with the parsley sprigs and serve hot.

Stop by 30AEATS.com for more family, local, and holiday recipes!

Last edited:

30A Eats

Beach Lover
Dec 14, 2011
30A
www.30aeats.com
COCKTAILS, HOLIDAY, LOCAL, RECIPES
[h=1]Festive Champagne Mojito’s[/h]Posted by Susan on Dec 12, 2012
Champagne Mojito-Vie People + Places
Recently, I was approached by Jordan Staggs of VIE People + Places magazine about my Holiday menu traditions, and if I would share a few recipes with readers for their upcoming issue. Of course I said yes, and was thrilled to see several in the magazine, and my entire menu online. If you did not get a chance to view the menu in its entirety, click here.
As Christmas Day draws closer, I wanted to include a few recipes on 30AEATS, beginning with my Festive Champagne Mojito. It is the perfect way to celebrate with family and friends and toast the magical season. I am so thankful to Lisa Burwell and her staff for including me as a contributing writer on numerous occasions, as it is an honor to work with such a wonderful and talented group of people.
Jordan Staggs writes, “Susan Benton, traveler, writer, and culinary extraordinaire behind the blog 30AEATS.com was one of the contributors to VIE’s 2012 Holiday Issue recipes article. We couldn’t fit all the delicious recipes into the magazine, so we are featuring her entire exclusive holiday menu here for all our readers at home to try! Bon appetit!”
Thank you Jordan!

[h=3]Festive Champagne Mojito’s[/h]By: Susan Benton
This cocktail is the perfect way to celebrate dinner with family and friends and toast the holiday season.
Recipe:
1/2-cup sugar
1/2-cup water
1 1/2 cups packed mint leaves, plus 12 mint sprigs, for garnish
6 limes cut into wedges
2 cups light rum
Cracked ice
3 cups Champagne or sparkling wine
Preparation:
In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and cook over high heat just until the sugar has dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.
In a large pitcher, combine the sugar syrup with the mint leaves and lime wedges and muddle well with a wooden spoon. Add the rum and stir well. Strain the drink into another pitcher.
Fill tall glasses with cracked ice and pour in the drink, filling them about two-thirds full. Top with Champagne, garnish with the mint sprigs and serve.
Note:The mojitos can be prepared through Step 2. Refrigerate the mojitos in the pitcher overnight.