• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Sheriff Mike Adkinson told South Walton County residents Tuesday that he will crack down on underage drinking and excessive noise during this year’s spring break.

Adkinson spoke at a town hall meeting hosted by County Commissioner Cindy Meadows on the challenges presented by thousands of visiting college students. About 80 residents, business owners and local officials attended.

He warned residents to expect another record year for spring break along the county’s 26 miles of beach. Since 2011, the numbers have soared, with much of the college-aged crowd gathering around the Whale’s Tail in Miramar Beach and stretching east.

“To be honest with you, when you have those numbers of people coming here, you’re going to have these problems,” Adkinson said.

He said he plans to increase the number of deputies he deploys by maximizing “the use of overtime” to deal with the influx of visitors.

“At two points last year we had two crowds in excess of 10,000 on the same day,” Adkinson said. “And crowds can get out of control.”

He also appealed to the public for help.

“When you identify a chronic problem, make us aware of it,” he said.

After the first major crush of college students last spring break, Adkinson took a random sampling of arrests and found that most of them had been visiting South Walton since they were children.

Dawn Moliterno, director of the county’s Tourist Development Council, said the area is beginning to see the children of its loyal tourists returning as spring breakers.

“They are coming back to their beaches and they’re in college,” she said. “They have disposable income and they’re not always well behaved.”

Moliterno reminded the audience that the TDC markets to families, not the spring break crowd. But college students who are familiar with the area are likely to choose it as a destination.

The key to a more orderly spring break is making sure the students know the ordinances that govern behavior on the beach, Adkinson said.

Last year, the Sheriff’s Office made 50 arrests, most for underage drinking, on the first day of spring break.

Adkinson said he plans to have the same level of enforcement this year.

“We’re trying to set the tone on the first day,” he said.

Adkinson said beach safety — and adherence to the warning flags — is a top priority.

“These waters can be extremely treacherous when people don’t follow the flag system,” he said. “We are going to strictly enforce that.”

Some residents along County Road 30A told Adkinson their communities are having problems with even younger spring break visitors.

Robert Davis, founder of Seaside, told Adkinson the town was having major problems with out-of-town middle school children “drinking, doing drugs and having sex on the beach.”

Most the children are visiting from the Atlanta suburbs and are left largely unattended by their parents because Seaside has created such a safe environment, Davis said.

This year, town members plan to promote more family activities such as campfires, sing-alongs and hot dog roasts to drive the troublemakers off the beach, he said.

“We’re going to occupy the beach, especially when those Atlantan hordes descend upon us,” Davis said.

Adkinson agreed that the younger teenagers are a problem. He said this year deputies will try to saturate the beach communities at night and hold problem juveniles in custody until a parent can pick them up.

Other concerns raised at the meeting included excessive noise and parking problems.

Adkinson said major improvement in those areas won’t come until county commissioners approve tougher noise and nuisance abatement regulations.

StepfordWife

Beach Comber
Sep 14, 2012
I was in Rosemary Beach last year at spring break and one of the employees at the Cowgirl Kitchen mentioned Seaside was overrun with unsupervised tweens and teens which was negatively affecting businesses there. When we drove through Seaside later that week I saw what she meant--there were hordes and hordes of them. There were some in Rosemary too but nowhere near the same number. I wonder if that's because Rosemary's beach access is locked and Seaside's is open? The employee told me people would drop their kids off for they day in Seaside, so I'm thinking that has something to do with it. I don't like having locked beach access frankly but perhaps this is the result of not doing it. I love Seaside dearly, but will stay in Rosemary if I'm there for spring break for this reason.

Last edited:

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Rosemary is not the solution. Mobs of misbehaving teens were there last spring break.

NunYa

Beach Comber
Jun 3, 2010
Well, I will probably upset some people by saying this, however Sea Side, during spring break is a festering cesspool of heathens. Not to say that all the kids there are bad, they aren't. I had the ms-fortune of happening down to the beach with some friends during spring break last year for a walk on the beach....... Oh my the things we saw.......I am by no manes a prude, but what some of those kids were doing was down right wrong!! It was so horrible I was laughing, AND blushing...... and that's a great feat..... And the thing is it wasn't collage kids. Not that we could tell. I felt like Petey the perv!!! I got the heck outta there!!! For some unknown reason Sea Side just attracts that element..... Thank you but Ill stay home this year.

StepfordWife

Beach Comber
Sep 14, 2012
LOL cesspool, definitely not the squeaky clean Mayberry image I have of Seaside. I was in Rosemary the last week of March last year and while there were lots of teens, none were misbehaving. On the beach they were respectful and relatively quiet, and often with their parents. It's my understanding that Atlanta schools have their break at a different time than when I was there, so perhaps that has an effect. I would not heasitate to go back to Rosemary at the same time this year, but I would avoid Seaside. I stay in Seaside in the offseason.

Zac

Beach Lover
Oct 15, 2012
30A
As a resident of over 20 years on the gulf coast I have seen my fair share of not just spring breakers but also locals and people of all ages acting inappropriately. You'd be surprised some of the things seniors will say and do

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
sure, some years are definitely crazier than others, but every year when March hits, its a shock to the system after a relatively peaceful winter. You know its coming but you have completely forgotten what it is like. And then we have a great April and May (peace again). Then mayhem again for a few months.

I just kind of stay up in the woods for a while.

DestinDeb

Beach Lover
Sep 28, 2012
Hi. This is my first year living here during spring break. I'm getting kind of nervous. :cool: Can someone tell me 1. when does the mayhem start? 2. When is it over, and 3. any tips on the best routes to take to get around?

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
Figure on the torture staring about March 9 and ending after Easter - As far as getting around, do all your grocery shopping early Saturday morning during the switchover period. I live over by Eastern lake and in January it took about 8 minutes to drive to the gym at Watercolors during mid day. When the tourists came, I took me 40 minutes just to get the the stop sign before Seaside! I stay inside and stock on on groceries and liquor!!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
before living in SoWal, I lived in two college towns - first Tuscaloosa, then Gainesville. While they weren't tourist towns, they had their seasons of high traffic and crazy people during the school year. Down times in summer and holiday breaks were such a relief. It is kind of that way here as well... but more families than college kids. But a mix of all will be here.

Grocery shopping on Saturday or Sunday not a good idea!!!