• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zac

Beach Lover
Oct 15, 2012
30A
Was wondering if anyone has had any luck catching Sand Fleas? And IF SO How? I was catching as many as I could carry in the summer but since it got cold have had almost no luck finding them!

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Pompano Jim has been surf fishing with them in Grayton for years. Maybe you can track him down...

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
They tend to come out when the weather warms. What exactly they do this time of year, I don't know, but they tend to be easiest to catch when water temps get around 68 or 70 (which is about when the pompano get active as well...probably not a coincidence).

I usually just catch them with my hands. It takes a little practice, but not all that hard.

Lately, I've become somewhat lazy and have started buying the "GULP!" brand artificial versions. They last on a hook a lot longer and you don't have to cut into your beer drinking time to catch the live ones.

robvanepps

Beach Lover
Aug 7, 2008
Santa Rosa Bch
Lately, I've become somewhat lazy and have started buying the "GULP!" brand artificial versions. They last on a hook a lot longer and you don't have to cut into your beer drinking time to catch the live ones.

@Ken Sloan. Do you mind me asking if you have success with the Gulp SandFleas? I've been using Shrimp with limited success this time of year...Water temps between 55-65.

Thanks and hope to see you out there.
Rob

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
True story: I watched three guys fish all morning with live sand fleas. They had no nibbles. HC rolls up and is talking about these Gulp brand sand fleas that John at Yellowfin Ocean Sports sold him. He thought he'd try them. I said, "good luck. These guys have been here all morning using the real ones and they haven't touched them.

HC throws his line in and sets down his rod in a holder, then without interruption proceeds to walk I've to talk to the three men. One of the men saw HC's rod go down and grabbed it before it went out to sea. HC pulled in the biggest pompano I've ever seen caught. The men left and came back with the Gulp Sand Fleas.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
@Ken Sloan. Do you mind me asking if you have success with the Gulp SandFleas? I've been using Shrimp with limited success this time of year...Water temps between 55-65.

Thanks and hope to see you out there.
Rob

My personal opinion is that the water temps are too cold. Most of the locals I talked to when we moved here told me the magic number is 68 or above for pompano. If they're not active, I doubt any bait will make much difference.

robvanepps

Beach Lover
Aug 7, 2008
Santa Rosa Bch
Thanks Ken! We will hopefully be seeing those water temps in the near future.

Great story Murray! I wil be adding a bag of Gulp Sand flea's to my bag of tricks!