• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Perdido Key, AL/FL (preferrably the FL side).
We almost bought a home in Perdido Key, FL but didn't like the fact that we'd have to cross a busy highway (not like 30A) to get to the beach. Plus too many chain restaurants. The big plus was that each house has a marina slip and we could take a boat to the restaurants in the area. That's pretty darned cool.

And then there's Flora-Bama. :)

Akarin

Beach Lover
Mar 5, 2012
Eastern Lake
akarin.com
I love Sanibel Island though I don't know Captiva that well. Rates for lodging there go down quite a bit after April.

It's well worth the visit! The restaurant and entertainment options are very limited, but that adds to the uniqueness of the island as a true beach getaway in our backyard.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
ok so I'm leaning towards Anna Maria Island now. It's a non-stop from Dallas, continental US so I should be able to cash in credit card points or AA points for a flight or maybe both, darling cottages, been interested in the area for a while-it looks lovely. Anyone been?

We spent a wonderful quiet week at Anna Maria Island a few years ago - would definitely recommend it for a serious getaway! Very lovely, relaxed... not much to do unless you go into Bradenton, but who wants much to do?

Our other favorite Florida places to getaway are: Fernandina Beach (wonderful town and wonderful food of all kinds including seafood). Fernandina is an old town which is fun to visit! The beaches are great - we sometimes stay on or near the beach, but other times we stay in the little downtown. Lots to explore!

We go to Indian Pass more than any other place so that we can really relax, and also visit Apalachicola. We LOVE the solitude of the beaches over there! No, not like SoWal - but they have their own unique, wild beauty.

Sea Island has a horrible beach.

We also used to go to Amelia Island Plantation and/or the Ritz there twice a year. Once for the Florida/Georgia game and again for some random vacation. I like it there, but the Atlantic beaches don't compare to South Walton beaches. So we only go there when hubby has a meeting there with all expenses paid and a private jet to get us there and back.

Hey everyone, this is Cil who used to live at Port St Joe.

Now I live on Amelia Island (but in Fernandina Beach rather than the fancypants south end of the island. ;)

Just adding to this thread for future reference:

I've been to most of the other places mentioned in this thread because I adore the beach and my husband especially loves the Caribbean. Faves: I loved the Big Island (but yeah, the time change.) Captiva was lovely.
St John's was beautiful but the British Virgin Islands had a little less touristy atmosphere and the locals seemed friendlier.

I agree with Beach Runner about Sea Island, but one Atlantic barrier island that has a GORGEOUS beach is Cumberland Island, Georgia, about 20 minutes north of Amelia Island by boat. You can only get there by boat or ferry, and you have to either camp or stay at the Greyfield Inn. We go there as much as we can. There are romantic ruins, a cemetery and restored buildings. I've seen many wild horses and other critters there, and sometimes you can walk and walk and not see another soul. (Oh, and yes, this is where JFK Jr and Carolyn Bessette were married.)

May would be a nice time to go. May is a nice time here as well, but *not* the first weekend, which is Shrimp Festival, when everyone converges to wear pirate outfits and eat fried shrimp.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

Now I live on Amelia Island (but in Fernandina Beach rather than the fancypants south end of the island. ;)

I've been to most of the other places mentioned in this thread because I adore the beach and my husband especially loves the Caribbean. Faves: I loved the Big Island (but yeah, the time change.) Captiva was lovely.
St John's was beautiful but the British Virgin Islands had a little less touristy atmosphere and the locals seemed friendlier.

I agree with Beach Runner about Sea Island, but one Atlantic barrier island that has a GORGEOUS beach is Cumberland Island, Georgia, about 20 minutes north of Amelia Island by boat. You can only get there by boat or ferry, and you have to either camp or stay at the Greyfield Inn. We go there as much as we can. There are romantic ruins, a cemetery and restored buildings. I've seen many wild horses and other critters there, and sometimes you can walk and walk and not see another soul. (Oh, and yes, this is where JFK Jr and Carolyn Bessette were married.)

May would be a nice time to go. May is a nice time here as well, but *not* the first weekend, which is Shrimp Festival, when everyone converges to wear pirate outfits and eat fried shrimp.

Hi Cil! How the heck are you?

We still love Fernandina Beach and thinking of coming that way soon!!!

Someone donated property on Cumberland Island to the institution where I'm a prof. The biology people take students there to study marine biology and ecology. They always need chaperones. Maybe I should tag along sometime.