• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
In my 25+ years in the resort rental business, we never advertised, nor did the TDC, for the young spring break crowd. We screened potential rentals for age, and asked specifics about adults and children. When a renter called under the age of 25, we suggested Panama City or Destin/Ft. Walton because there would be more for them to do.

Who is advertsing for spring breakers under the age of 25? The TDC? Watercolor? It doesn't make sense, especially because most property owners do not want groups of youngsters staying in their property for obvious reasons, nor do the rental agencies want this crowd, or at least they didn't a few years ago.

I am dissappointed the direction advertsing is going and hopefully after this years spring break, the issue will be addressed.

There are more properties available in the area for rent than ever, but I understand there is not a problem booking them with families. So what gives?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I suspect that few spring breakers (as is the case with our 'regular' visitors) actually come here because they saw advertising. They are probably the adolescent children of families that have always come here. They are not stupid-they understand it is less dense and nicer than Destin and way less seedier than Panama City.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Spring breakers have always slipped in under the pretense they were a family, or booked by an adult and the adult leaves. That has always happened, but not to the degree we have seen the last 2 years. With all the press with the Sheriff Dept., it is more visible, but I noticed it last year as well. Something is different and I would like to pin point it and see a change.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I think Skunky has a point- they came here with their families as children, now they are bringing their friends to "their" beach. I spoke with two different parents who own second homes here and came down to open up their houses a few days before their college-aged children arrived for their spring break- then the parents were leaving when the kids arrived. Hope they have a house left!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Even college kids love it here. I know some from my own family and close friends who grew up visiting SoWal beaches and they have a strong attachment and always will. Heck, I grew up visiting these beaches, honeymooned here and eventually moved right in. But when I was in college we went to PCB because there was not much here for kids. Now we got it all and kids can go into PCB from sowal for clubs and jet skis. We've watched the spring break season grow slowly but surely over the years... I have family coming in over the next few weeks and they are mostly teens... I just try to ignore the crazy stuff.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
Lucky me - I have my son and five of his friends here in Seagrove for the week - Good news is I've known these kids since 3rd grade and I'm proud to say they are respectful and enjoying the area - I will confess they will leave on Saturday with less brain cells then they brought but the bottom line is - they are respectful, they like the area and they know the wrath of god will beat them down if I get a call!! and BTW, I'm supervising them!!

librarian

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2009
I'll be down in a few weeks with mine- but he's 7 turning 8. I hope he and his friends can also be respectful-supervised spring breakers as they grow up.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Family situation/supervised breakers is ok, it's the ones that stay on their own and go crazy, it happens. Just hoping the TDC is not advertising for spring breakers that is not in the family sense.

Sowal has been a family destination and I hope it always will be. Our Sheriff Department is doing a fantastic job defusing as much as they can and calling out to the media spreading the word. My hope is word of mouth gets out and it will be calmer next year.

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
My family is in the habit of spending spring break in South Walton and until last year everything seemed so peaceful. The rental we were in last year was next door to a very large rental. At one time I counted seventeen teenagers onthe patio and in the pool, we had been kept awake the night before by them, Icalled the rental agency and it didn't take long before they cleared the bunch of them. Having said that, one experience of tha kind will not stop me from enjoying my vacation.Maybe letting the rough housers know it is family oriented area may turn them back to PCB.