• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mello Yolo

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
I get this frequent craving for good Thai--at least once a week.

The closest I can find is Royal Orchid on 98, near Silver Sands.

Anyone up for a good Thai restaurant on 30A? There's strength in numbers.....

Maybe Royal Orchid needs a second location--Grayton Beach would be great. So would Gulf Place (the closer to me, the better!)

Tom-yum is "yum-yum".......

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I crave Thai all the time. We talked our friend Donna (who used to own Royal Orchid) into taking over the space in Grayton where the little Chinese place was, which only lasted for about a year or so. The Royal Orchid satellite lasted about 2 years and life was nearly perfect. Imagine enjoying an amazing sunset on Grayton Beach, make a quick call and pick up Thai food on your way home.

They were spread too thin and sold it to a Thai couple from Ft Walton Beach, Sam and Rose. They also had other jobs and had to drive 45 minutes one way (on an easy traffic day). After awhile they had frequent shutdowns for weeks at a time and lasted a little over a year before Pickle Factory remodeled and moved in.

Bottom line is all the Thai cooks live at least 45 minutes away - it's just too difficult for them to drive.

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
Put me down for Thai, too....!!

Kurt: I wasn't aware of the history involving Royal Orchid in Grayton Beach. How long ago was that? Thanks for sharing. Pity. I could really go for some chicken in yellow curry and coconut milk, about now.

How did the Royal Orchid "satellite" in Grayton do, business-wise? Was there a sufficient customer demand, to make it a profitable venture?

Is my hope for a near-future Thai restaurant on the west end of 30A only a dream, then? (Any one we can "enlist" to start such a restaurant? LOL.........)

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I would love a real Thai place on 30a! Go to Thai Elephant or Royal Orchid whenever I am over that way.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Oishi is the best thing to happen to PCB - their new place on Front Beach Road is larger and brighter, and the food is always excellent. Royal Orchid's price got a little high for the portion size- we are Oishi fans now, or Jasmine if we are in Destin.

Ditto was Kurt said-- I miss eating Thai at the beach. If I ever win the lottery, I am going to open a killer Thai restaurant here!

If you are in Ft. Walton, there is a wonderful Thai place right on 98, almost to Mary Esther, called Daddy's BBQ- Sam and Rose's place, right Kurt? Huge portions, good prices- always enough to eat, and lots of leftovers, which are the best part of Thai food IMO! If you are passing through, it is worth a stop in to at least get food to go.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Oishi is the best thing to happen to PCB - their new place on Front Beach Road is larger and brighter, and the food is always excellent. Royal Orchid's price got a little high for the portion size- we are Oishi fans now, or Jasmine if we are in Destin.

Ditto was Kurt said-- I miss eating Thai at the beach. If I ever win the lottery, I am going to open a killer Thai restaurant here!

If you are in Ft. Walton, there is a wonderful Thai place right on 98, almost to Mary Esther, called Daddy's BBQ- Sam and Rose's place, right Kurt? Huge portions, good prices- always enough to eat, and lots of leftovers, which are the best part of Thai food IMO! If you are passing through, it is worth a stop in to at least get food to go.

Oishi is excellent.

Daddy's is owned by Donna, the former owner of Royal Orchid. Sam and Rose work for her.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Oishi is excellent.

Daddy's is owned by Donna, the former owner of Royal Orchid. Sam and Rose work for her.

Gotcha. I knew it was good for a reason, but couldn't remember the connection.

The real bummer is I am absolutely not braving that drive until after spring break season!

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Just drove to Royal Orchid and back. Traffic was no worse than any other time of the year.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Yep, Oishi on front beach road in PCB is the best closest Thai around. My other favorite is Daddy's BBQ in FWB - too far to go often though...

Be sure to rate/comment at SoWal.com Dining Guide | Oishi Thai Restaurant.

We like to include favorite dining spots along the coast within 30 minutes driving distance on SoWal Dining Guide for your reference/info. If you have a favorite spot NOT on the guide, let us know - http://sowal.com/contact

Last edited by a moderator: