• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
My family is in the habit of spending spring break in South Walton and until last year everything seemed so peaceful. The rental we were in last year was next door to a very large rental. At one time I counted seventeen teenagers onthe patio and in the pool, we had been kept awake the night before by them, Icalled the rental agency and it didn't take long before they cleared the bunch of them. Having said that, one experience of tha kind will not stop me from enjoying my vacation.Maybe letting the rough housers

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Family situation/supervised breakers is ok, it's the ones that stay on their own and go crazy, it happens. Just hoping the TDC is not advertising for spring breakers that is not in the family sense.

Sowal has been a family destination and I hope it always will be. Our Sheriff Department is doing a fantastic job defusing as much as they can and calling out to the media spreading the word. My hope is word of mouth gets out and it will be calmer next year.

The TDC is not advertising for spring breakers. I asked about this at one of the town hall meetings. It was explained that, in spite of that, the area has been getting more and more spring breakers the last few years because children of families that regularly visit Walton County have started making it their spring break spot. The kids have been coming here all their lives. A lot of the properties do not rent to guests under the age of 25, but the sheriff said many times parents are booking accommodations for their children.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Yes the TDC does general ads. When I was a kid I went to spring break in a relatively quiet area. We couldn't get into clubs anyway so house parties were the way to go. Beach booze and bikinis are all you need. And the fewer cops the better.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Maybe we need to specifically advertise that we are a well regulated family destination.... with many examples of arrests of both spring breakers and unsupervised younger kids!

RosemaryBeach

Beach Crab
Mar 17, 2013
Not sure where you are getting your facts, but you seem to be inaccurate on both items. All indicators are that occupancy rates continue to be up (based on bed tax collection trends) and the TDCs partner site has no marketing directed to spring break. Might want to double-check your facts.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
If your post is referring to me, then read my post again. I am asking who is advertising for spring breakers, if anyone is. Since you have the facts, please speak up. According to the response on this thread, it seems word of mouth and kids coming back without the family in tow may be the answer. Feel free to correct "both items" please.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't know about advertising, but this is the first spring break in a decade where I had to complain to nearby rentals and clean plastic shot glasses, full trays of uneaten sushi, and a pukey towel off my front walk.

Beer cans, beer bottles, trash, and noise are normal. This year is weird and amped up.