• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
Having family in the service industry, I know those winter months are lean for them.I say if you can't afford to leave a decent tip, go eat at fast food or eat at home. Don't mean to be ugly about it but seems sometimes people who can well afford the 20% are the cheapest tippers.

lifeatthebeach

Beach Crab
Mar 28, 2013
Jill is spot on..alot of times the reason most servers arent quite on it is because the last 3 tables have stiffed them or the kitchen is training and just cant get it quite right. Please remember that you could be the that one table that sees they are really trying and make the attitude change for that server and possibly every person they come in contact with for the rest of the night. In the eyes (and pocketbook) of a server ..20% is average (in a resort area)...but anything above that means they better bring their "A" game and pay it forward. And PLEASE remember that most servers in this area make ALOT less minimum wage and only have the "100 days of summer" to make MORE than minimum wage. Imagine if you only earned your full paycheck for 3 months out of the year....

So let me get this straight. Jill Tanner gives a 20% tip no matter what. So Jill is rewarding and promoting incompetence. Will Jill ever get the service she deserves for leaving a 20% tip if she promotes this type of service just because someone has had a bad day? Most likely not. Everyone has a bad day but when you are at work you give the service that the customer deserves to have because they are spending their money in promoting that establsihment. Jill, your logic is irresponsible in itself. Rewarding poor service will only make that person think he/she does not have to provide the service that a customer deserves. They will eventually expect good tips for doing nothing. Sound familiar with the way society is going?

Now JodiFl agrees with Jill (Right on!) and just because the last three tables have "stiffed" the server ( or maybe they deserved a lesser tip because of the service they provided, maybe huh?) the server is now going to take it out on the next customer!!! What are you thinking??!! That next customer deserves the right to expect excellent service because guess what... they are the customer!! How about having the server "make" my day...as the customer? And now a 20% tip is "Average"??!! My gosh has this work force become so entitled that they expect everything for nothing? DON'T DEFEND BAD SERVICE!!

What school of work ethic did Jill & Jodi come from? What happened to if you work hard and smart you will be rewarded. If not, you will get what you deserve.

Good grief.

And excuse me, but can't these people work more than three months out of the year? What do they do the other nine months? So you expect me to reward a lousy work ethic because someone is having a bad day ( boo hoo!) when they only have to have a positive attitude for three months out of the year. Is this person giving the bad service that you are so generously rewarding the same person that Maries Bistro stated would jump ship for another dollar? If they're mad because they are making less than minimum wage have them take that up with the owner; not take it out on a paying customer!

Wake up and take a dose of reality.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
@lifeatthebeach....if you have that much anger and narcissism built up..do us all a favor ... stay home and cook and clean up after yourself.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Pretty strong, if fallacious, first post, lifeatthebeach. You will be a welcome addition to the SoWal group. BTW, I can't remember the last time I had really bad service in SoWal and even mediocre is extremely rare. Where are you eating out, anyway?

Kayak Fish

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
So let me get this straight. Jill Tanner gives a 20% tip no matter what. So Jill is rewarding and promoting incompetence. Will Jill ever get the service she deserves for leaving a 20% tip if she promotes this type of service just because someone has had a bad day? Most likely not. Everyone has a bad day but when you are at work you give the service that the customer deserves to have because they are spending their money in promoting that establsihment. Jill, your logic is irresponsible in itself. Rewarding poor service will only make that person think he/she does not have to provide the service that a customer deserves. They will eventually expect good tips for doing nothing. Sound familiar with the way society is going?

Now JodiFl agrees with Jill (Right on!) and just because the last three tables have "stiffed" the server ( or maybe they deserved a lesser tip because of the service they provided, maybe huh?) the server is now going to take it out on the next customer!!! What are you thinking??!! That next customer deserves the right to expect excellent service because guess what... they are the customer!! How about having the server "make" my day...as the customer? And now a 20% tip is "Average"??!! My gosh has this work force become so entitled that they expect everything for nothing? DON'T DEFEND BAD SERVICE!!

What school of work ethic did Jill & Jodi come from? What happened to if you work hard and smart you will be rewarded. If not, you will get what you deserve.

Good grief.

And excuse me, but can't these people work more than three months out of the year? What do they do the other nine months? So you expect me to reward a lousy work ethic because someone is having a bad day ( boo hoo!) when they only have to have a positive attitude for three months out of the year. Is this person giving the bad service that you are so generously rewarding the same person that Maries Bistro stated would jump ship for another dollar? If they're mad because they are making less than minimum wage have them take that up with the owner; not take it out on a paying customer!

Wake up and take a dose of reality.

Being a server in the busy season is the time when you make the most money, and then the rest of the year your hours are cut or you are let go. Even if you stay, business is going to be much slower and the money will be far less. Sure you can maybe still find other work (but now there are many people in the same boat as you looking for the same job). Most of the restaurant type jobs in this area do the vast majority of their business in about 4-5 months (it isn't really 3). During that time restaurants get extremely busy, often all at once. I am not a server but I was many years ago. When you are "slammed" it is extremely hectic. People like you dismiss service industry workers as flawed human beings who get what they deserve, but waiting tables during a busy time is highly stressful and most people (including rich successful people) can't handle it.

Most customers in this area seem great. But some, and I suspect this might be you, have taken this "the customer is always right" thing too far. And yes, there are bad servers, and everyone makes mistakes. If a server has a bad attitude and makes no effort I will tip less than 20%. But if you try (even if you make mistakes) you are definitely getting 20% minimum. Let me clue you in to how some people live. You say "jump ship for another dollar" as if it is unfathomable to you that someone would leave for such an insignificant amount. Well, one buck an hour is 40 bucks a week which is 160 bucks+ per month. When you are trying to make a living as a line cook or a server 160 dollars matters. It might push your income up so that now you can afford health insurance, or buy your kid new clothes etc.

From reading your post it's quite obvious the idea that 160 dollars a month could have any meaning to anyone is completely foreign. Just be happy that is the case and tip decent service with that in mind.