• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
Beyond the fact that tipping is archaic and economically inefficient, there is often a principal-agent problem (i.e. bartenders overpouring/comping drinks in exchange for higher tips). It would be nice to see a local restaurant experiment with paying their employees a decent wage (pricing their product accordingly) and remove the tip line on the check. At the very least it would be nice to see a few experiment with a European model. Aside from addressing the above, it would also improve front/back of the house relations and establish a more professional relationship between the customer and the server.

Beyond the fact that tipping is archaic and economically inefficient, there is often a principal-agent problem (i.e. bartenders overpouring/comping drinks in exchange for higher tips). It would be nice to see a local restaurant experiment with paying their employees a decent wage (pricing their product accordingly) and remove the tip line on the check. At the very least it would be nice to see a few experiment with a European model. Aside from addressing the above, it would also improve front/back of the house relations and establish a more professional relationship between the customer and the server.
My husband works in Australia. You don't tip there -- not in restaurants, not in taxi cabs, etc. They are offended by this (although taxi drivers happily take cash tips for short drives). They are paid proper wages to do their jobs.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Pretty strong, if fallacious, first post, lifeatthebeach. You will be a welcome addition to the SoWal group. BTW, I can't remember the last time I had really bad service in SoWal and even mediocre is extremely rare. Where are you eating out, anyway?

Andhy A - no, this poster will need a big attitude adjustment and perhaps a lesson in how to participate and share opinions in an open public forum, before being welcome, imo. Different opinions = good & interesting. Bad manners = not cool.

Last edited:

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I typically tip over 20%, unless service is really bad, as it is a rough job and many customers are rude. Servers more than earn their money IMO.

But I am frustrated by the increase in people wanting tips or special recognition simply for doing their job. Tip jars keep appearing in new locations that should be hourly wage jobs that pay decently.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I typically tip over 20%, unless service is really bad, as it is a rough job and many customers are rude. Servers more than earn their money IMO.

But I am frustrated by the increase in people wanting tips or special recognition simply for doing their job. Tip jars keep appearing in new locations that should be hourly wage jobs that pay decently.

I am curious what type of businesses you are talking about that places "tip jars" or are "seeking special recognition" and who decides whether the pay is decent?

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
At the very least it would be nice to see a few experiment with a European model. Aside from addressing the above, it would also improve front/back of the house relations and establish a more professional relationship between the customer and the server.

What? You want to move to the European model? The service from wait staff there is very laid back and drives most Americans crazy! In my experience, it can take 30 minutes to find the waiter to ask for the check!

lifeatthebeach

Beach Crab
Mar 28, 2013
Teresa, so different opinions are good & interesting...

Andhy A - no, this poster will need a big attitude adjustment and perhaps a lesson in how to participate and share opinions in an open public forum, before being welcome, imo. Different opinions = good & interesting. Bad manners = not cool.

...as long as they agree with your opinion. There is nothing here about "bad manners". The point of discussion was Jill/jodiFl defending unacceptable behavior in the workplace by accepting poor service and rewarding bad behavior. Nothing "fallacious" about not accepting poor service and there was nothing in the original post that stated I had experienced poor service. You really need to stay focused on the original point of discussion. But calling names is a "cheap" shot and that is "bad manners = not cool" but I guess that is ok because it agrees with your point. And Fishhead I am not the one who made the original comment about "jumping ship for a dollar". I believe that was an owner. And why shouldn't that owner expect some loyallty? And Teresa is proposing that the solution is to "just leave if the service is bad". That goes right back to accepting poor behavior and at the same time penalizes the restaurant. Not going to do that.

Sorry guys your retorts are not worthy of further discussion if you are not going to stay focused on the original premise. Weak responses! And Teresa you are supposed to be a journalist?

Green Knight

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2009
The "ya owe me a tip attitude" by the servers posting in this thread reeks of entitlement and is an obnoxious attitude..and i am one who tips generously and also can only recall a few bad experiences in The 30A Area ever..as for the poster who was complaining about Tip Jars popping up elsewhere i just totally agree..real pet peeve of mine when you ses them at Starbucks..Sandwich Shops..Ice Cream Stands..etc

RTR

Beach Comber
Aug 10, 2011
blue mtn.
what are folks opinions on tipping at places like the seagrove market and cowgirl kitchen where you order and pay at a register, you get your own drink....they bring you the food? i usually leave something because i like the people there, but i'm never sure what they expect, or is customary in this situation.