• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Thanks, RTR! I don't know about Cowgirl Kitchen but, as I work at the Market, I don't mind addressing that question. Lunchtime service IS a little different, in that you don't have just ONE server but a whole team of servers who are working very hard to give you the best possible experience. It is an extremely fast-paced lunch crowd, and it does get very hectic. In addition to taking your order, and bringing your food out to the table, the servers (and, for the record, I DON'T work lunch shift) are working very hard to ensure that everyone is supplied with condiments (because of the high volume of traffic, the condiment bottles are refilled several times throughout the day) making sure that you have any extras you require--salad dressings, crackers, extra plates/baskets, etc. and bussing the tables after you leave. They often have to hunt people down to get food to them, as people tend to wander around the shop/outside while they wait, and it is difficult to walk from one end of the restaurant to the other without having someone grab your arm and need additional service. Kindly remember that just because YOU are an "easy customer" whose food is dropped off, you eat, and you're out the door; not ALL customers are so quickly helped. It can be a tricky thing to manuever through families with small children and large parties who end up seated at different corners of the restaurant.

That being said, the serving team at lunch IS paid a "server's wage" which is far less than typical minimum wage and is subsidized with tips. When you tip them, the money is placed in a central tip jar and divided at the end of the day between all team members, because all of the members are working together to make it happen. Your tips are very much appreciated, even if it's only a dollar or two. Obviously, it is not typical "full-service" dining, but please do not underestimate that the team works very, very hard in a very fast-paced setting. Those of us who work there LOVE the job, and we love our customers! It is an awesome thing to work in such a fantastic establishment where we get the same customers year after year, and get to enjoy serving you, and seeing families and children grow and change. We are always grateful for our regulars and happy to see new customers, and appreciate the continued business!

Last edited:

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
If you eat out, accept the system as it is and don't be a buzz kill. Experiments are for laboratories. A standard has developed in this country, and changing it would be like trying to get us to speak a different language. Are there not more pressing issues? Eating and drinking out is a game with rules both written and unwritten. There are no 100% absolutes. Anyway, what's not to like about the fact that you get stronger drinks if you tip well?

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
I actually do prefer the European model. Not as much feigned sincerity, upselling (that is thankfully not really a problem here), etc. However, an owner would influence how attentive his servers were to diners, since they would be more financially accountable to the owner than the customer. The restaurant does well and the servers do well.

As for the buzzkill, I responded to a Tipping thread in the dining section of our community message board. I didn't go in with a big party and demand to speak to the owner to tell them they are doing it all wrong. I think most of the pushback is from the aforementioned tip jars popping up everywhere and the standard increasing from 15 to 18 to 20 percent. Besides, "this is how we've always done it in America" isn't the most sound argument for continuing to do something.

All that said, I've played the hand the system dealt since before I could legally drink. And thankfully few restaurant owners have a background in economics or we would have far fewer restaurants from which to choose.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I was differentiating between businesses where the workers are paid below minimum wage because they are tipped and jobs where the hourly wage is well above minimum wage because they are not expected to earn tips.

I get annoyed when I am supposed to tip for them simply doing their job in the latter scenario. I am happy to tip in the former scenario.

Last edited:

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I actually do prefer the European model. Not as much feigned sincerity, upselling (that is thankfully not really a problem here), etc. However, an owner would influence how attentive his servers were to diners, since they would be more financially accountable to the owner than the customer. The restaurant does well and the servers do well.

As for the buzzkill, I responded to a Tipping thread in the dining section of our community message board. I didn't go in with a big party and demand to speak to the owner to tell them they are doing it all wrong. I think most of the pushback is from the aforementioned tip jars popping up everywhere and the standard increasing from 15 to 18 to 20 percent. Besides, "this is how we've always done it in America" isn't the most sound argument for continuing to do something.

All that said, I've played the hand the system dealt since before I could legally drink. And thankfully few restaurant owners have a background in economics or we would have far fewer restaurants from which to choose.

I'm not trying to paint a positive or flattering picture of eating or drinking out. At the same time, I really like it for all it's shall I say weirdness (from both customers and employees). I absolutely agree with you that the "this is how we've always done it" argument is not a good one. I realize that's how it might have come across, so I apologize about that. I really was directing that at people who won't accept that at this moment, that's how the system is set up. I can't believe I know people who still think tipping is optional. They tend to look down on the servers too.

I think the reason for our current system is simply because a lot of people, both customers and servers like it that way. It's also ingrained in our performance oriented competitive culture for one thing. Our culture would have to change before anything. Like I said, it's kind of a game or a sport. I'm sure that the good bartenders and servers who get big tips like it that way. The big tipping customer gets special attention, especially if he's a regular. Some people just enjoy spending lots of money in order to look like a big shot. The system is not fair, and all men/women costumers are not equal. I don't know if it's the best system, but I think there is much to like about it.

I think Americans are too high strung adrenaline junkies to adopt the European model. This is just one picture of it. Maybe it's kind of a stereotype, but I think there's a lot of truth to it. I think overall, the tip system has the potential to get you better more gracious service. Is it insincere? Maybe, but it's a game that many are willing to play and pay for.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I think tripping is only for the people who can handle it, and have done plenty of recreational drugs beforehand...oh wait, I may have misread the thread title...:blink:

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
I'm not trying to paint a positive or flattering picture of eating or drinking out. At the same time, I really like it for all it's shall I say weirdness (from both customers and employees). I absolutely agree with you that the "this is how we've always done it" argument is not a good one. I realize that's how it might have come across, so I apologize about that. I really was directing that at people who won't accept that at this moment, that's how the system is set up. I can't believe I know people who still think tipping is optional. They tend to look down on the servers too.

I think the reason for our current system is simply because a lot of people, both customers and servers like it that way. It's also ingrained in our performance oriented competitive culture for one thing. Our culture would have to change before anything. Like I said, it's kind of a game or a sport. I'm sure that the good bartenders and servers who get big tips like it that way. The big tipping customer gets special attention, especially if he's a regular. Some people just enjoy spending lots of money in order to look like a big shot. The system is not fair, and all men/women costumers are not equal. I don't know if it's the best system, but I think there is much to like about it.

I think Americans are too high strung adrenaline junkies to adopt the European model. This is just one picture of it. Maybe it's kind of a stereotype, but I think there's a lot of truth to it. I think overall, the tip system has the potential to get you better more gracious service. Is it insincere? Maybe, but it's a game that many are willing to play and pay for.

I actually agree with pretty much all of that. While I've never worked in a restaurant, the entitlement and contempt that diners sometimes display towards staff really annoys me. They treat servers that way because they are the ones paying them, and feel the right to play employer. The guy who lays out cash on the table and removes it as he feels his service is inferior sounds like a nouveau riche, pretentious ass. He emphasizes his higher station in life and dangles money over his server's head to have them dance.

I think if owners removed the tip line and paid the servers a normalized wage, they would have fewer patrons treating their staff like the help. Aligning incentives between owners and staff is just an added bonus.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I actually agree with pretty much all of that. While I've never worked in a restaurant, the entitlement and contempt that diners sometimes display towards staff really annoys me. They treat servers that way because they are the ones paying them, and feel the right to play employer. The guy who lays out cash on the table and removes it as he feels his service is inferior sounds like a nouveau riche, pretentious ass. He emphasizes his higher station in life and dangles money over his server's head to have them dance.

I think if owners removed the tip line and paid the servers a normalized wage, they would have fewer patrons treating their staff like the help. Aligning incentives between owners and staff is just an added bonus.

I've only worked in a restaurant (kitchen) for about six months. I've done another two years of kitchen work at an establishment. I don't think it's because they feel like the employer. Some people are just arrogant bossy, mean cruel SOBs by nature and may not even know it. The thing is, the really good server can tear apart these a-holes and make really good wage.

Mello Yolo

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
I actually do prefer the European model.

I can't agree with you. Wasn't it the European model that caused all the problems with national debt and bank closures in Cyprus?

Oh. No.... Wait. That was an entirely different kabuki..... :drool:

Mello Yolo

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
I have several friends in the waitservice industry. Candidly, they have confided they believe in the 20-40-60% rule.

20%, they consider an average tip. 40%, they consider a good tip. 60% of their tips is what they report as their tax earnings. That is between them, and the IRS. I'm not going there.....!