• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sonjawave

Beach Comber
Apr 1, 2013
Hi you fortunate SoWalton beach residents!

We're coming back to 30-A next month for a weeks vacation. I would like to find some good seashells, etc while on vacation. Where is the best beach for shelling near the beaches of SoWalton? Do we need to travel to St George Island? If so, I guess we should go early morning?

Thanks.

Sonjawave

Beach Comber
Apr 1, 2013
Try Shell Island -- St. Andrews State Park -- Panama City.

I checked it out on tripadvisor, many said they didn't find many good unbroken shells. I guess if wanting nice seashells, I might have to buy some. :sosad:. Oh well, SoWal provides it ALL except seashells, I'll take that. ;)

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
The beach is alot nicer without shells. Broken shell parts can be very uncomfortable when enjoying a sunset walk.

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
I agree with Teresa. The only time there are significant shells on the beach are after storms and they are usually all broken up from wave action.

I'm not sure if they are here yet because the water temperature is still low, but later this year you can dive for sandollars and bleach them in the sun.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Where do you dive for sandollars? Anyplace in/near Seacrest? Do you have to go past the sandbar or are they pretty close to shore.

When we were there in March, one morning we walked along the beach and saw about 100 sea urchins (most dead from what we could tell). I've never seen that before along a Seacrest Beach.

After Hurricane Ivan, there were a LOT of seashells. So, that's a good reason to come down after a hurricane. It's amazing to see what Mother Nature can do. Seems like the sandbars have to be taken out by storms for the shells to come to shore. I can't figure out how the Sea Urchins ended up on the beach because I don't remember a storm and there weren't other kinds of shells around - just Sea Urchins.

Sonjawave

Beach Comber
Apr 1, 2013
I agree with Teresa. The only time there are significant shells on the beach are after storms and they are usually all broken up from wave action.

I'm not sure if they are here yet because the water temperature is still low, but later this year you can dive for sandollars and bleach them in the sun.

Are the as dollars more prevalent in warmer waters? How about Mid-May? Thanks

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
When the water temperature gets up, you can find sandollars between the sandbars and on the green bar. Water temperature is usually getting warm by Memorial Day.