• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Does Seaside School make an effort or have any responsibility to have any racial or ethnic diversity within the student population? If so, what and how is it implemented?

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't know, but it's my understanding they have a waiting list to enroll there. Do you think they should be required to "recruit" students to have racial and ethnic diversity ? From all I've heard Seaside is a really good school and serves our area well. "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it".

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
It is an excellent school from all that I hear. Not suggesting anything is broke or that they should "recruit". Saw on great schools website that the enrollment is 94 % white, just wondered if charter schools with lottery systems for entry face any requirements to attempt to create diversity. Not every question is an accusation.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
About the only diversity you will find in South Walton is everyone's southern hometown- for example-you are in the majority say if you are from Atlanta or Birmingham. You get minority status if you hail from a place outside the deep south. You provide real diversity if you are from, say Montana or New Hampshire. And that my friends, is diversity in South Walton. ;)
(I hope people understand I am trying to provide a little humor to the fact that South Walton is just not a real diverse place to begin with, so it's kind of funny that the schools would be expected to try to become more diverse! There are so many wonderful things about this community, but the lack of diversity is definitely NOT one of them!)

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
I'm not sure how an affirmative plan to have more racially/culturally/religiously diverse student body would jibe with the lottery system for admission. As has been pointed out, the population from which the school draws its students is largely white. I think any attempt to tinker with the random nature of the lottery would invite charges of reverse discrimination.

I do not believe they keep any records of the racial/ethnic characteristics of those who enter the lottery. I am sure it would have to reflect the profiles of the current students.

I believe the only proper way to address this issue (if it is an issue) is to raise the awareness of culturally diverse populations to the existence of the school, the nature of the admissions procedure and dates of the lottery.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
It is an excellent school from all that I hear. Not suggesting anything is broke or that they should "recruit". Saw on great schools website that the enrollment is 94 % white, just wondered if charter schools with lottery systems for entry face any requirements to attempt to create diversity. Not every question is an accusation.

I think the percentage of legals in SoWal is about 94% white. As for ethnic diversity couldn't say. Is redneck or atlantan transplant a ethnic group?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Just because you go to an excellent and expensive school does not make you a snob. I, on the other hand, went to a fully integrated school when it was an unheard of occurrence here and the South. And look how I turned out!