• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
I have lived here full time sine January. I love it here. The natural beauty is breathtaking . Happily I live in a very quiet, serene part of this area. I moved here from Key West. KW had to put in place a rate of growth law because it had become over built which brought on numerous problems, ie, stress to infrastructure , air, water and noise pollution , crowding and impossible parking , and filth that can not be managed. The City also recognized that hurricane evacuation had been compromised. City leaders and residents wish the ROGO had been in place 20 years ago. Anyone who has tried to navigate the island in a car knows that it is daunting experience. Anyone living there can attest to the noise, dirt and the challenge of getting to a grocery store or restaurant, even on a bike or on foot. KW has also put into place a comprehensive recycling and compost program. The City makes money from these programs.
When I drive along 30A and witness the crowding of houses, traffic , and lack of parking at many places , when I see garbage cans loaded with items that could be recycled, spilled trash that blows everywhere I wonder if I am witnessing again the slow erosion of another paradise.
We live in a crowded world and managing the impact of our numbers is challenging . At my age I am not sure whether I have become cynical or realistic or both. Obviously there is lot's of money to be made off people who also want to visit this lovely area , and there is nothing wrong about that. The majority of elected officials will always bow to the wishes of money. I just wish that some foresight now might preserve this area for years to come . Sadly I don't expect that to happen.

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
I think everyone living along 30a needs to be proactive about preserving any quaintness and charm it has left. I understand that people buy condos and homes to rent and make income. I understand people buy land to build on for personal use or for investment. But if we do not manage the growth, this area will ultimately decline and lose its visitors. I remember when the real estate collapse happened, I read an article about a particular city that did not experience the huge downturn we did because it has managed growth for years. there are those who do not like any type of regulation but there are times that it is for the good of the community. we all have a vested interest in keeping this scenic highway "scenic". To just close our eyes and hope for the best is irresponsible.

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
You are absolutely right shellak, but as long as extremest right wing Walton county Republicans are in control, The charm of 30A is probably doomed. They claim to be conservative, yet they have little regard for conservation and the environment. Just my opinion based on my observations, I'm sure my comment will be offensive to several people, but hypocricy is offensive to me.

chip hagler

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
I think it's more about greed. If you throw politics in it, then can we say the left wing Democrats are the cause of Detroits demise? California's debt problem, is that the liberals fault? It all boils down to money. I want it all and I want it now or get it while you can attitude. Just my two cents worth.

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
I agree it is about greed, as far as politics, I'm specifically talking about Walton County politics. These backwoods Republican rednecks that have been running this county for the past two decades. They act as the sneaky "good ole boy crew that appear to have no ethics and continue to have no regard for what South Walton full time residents think. If you don't think politics is in play here, just look at all the lawsuits and ethics complaints against the BCC and county entities. I've lived in lots of places and the local government here is the worst I've seen anywhere. It's a crying shame because this is such a beautiful unique area.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I agree it is about greed, as far as politics, I'm specifically talking about Walton County politics. These backwoods Republican rednecks that have been running this county for the past two decades. They act as the sneaky "good ole boy crew that appear to have no ethics and continue to have no regard for what South Walton full time residents think. If you don't think politics is in play here, just look at all the lawsuits and ethics complaints against the BCC and county entities. I've lived in lots of places and the local government here is the worst I've seen anywhere. It's a crying shame because this is such a beautiful unique area.
Usually, if one party holds all the power, the party in power is corrupt. In Walton County Republicans hold almost all offices. Developers and others who have their own self interests buy the politicians by financing the campaigns of these people. Around here if you aren't running as a Republican you may as well not run. In places like Chicago the Democrats are the crooks. It's too bad we don't have some way control political campaign financing.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Greed will trump nature everytime. That is why human traffic has significantly increased on 30A and will only get worse. It's "all good" as long as the greedy are making big bucks.

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
Is there a rate of growth law for 30a? Seems like there is a lot of new construction here. Almost too much for a two lane highway to handle . Are evacuation concerns considered?

You are very observant. I have repeatedly asked the same question. These roads can never be widened but it seems like our county commissioners are not concerned. If we overbuild, it will come back to bite us. I remember reading an article when the real estate crash happened about a city (can't remember which one) that kept tight controls on growth and were not affected by the downturn. What we need is a balance between those of us who are residents and those that trying to attract tourists/make money off of rentals.