• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
only a couple of weeks til we are at rosemary! ahhhhh

saw there were a couple of advisories in april for water quality around grayton and holly st. i hope that if we need to stay out of the water(small kids), then someone will tell us. :)

Sonjawave

Beach Comber
Apr 1, 2013
only a couple of weeks til we are at rosemary! ahhhhh

saw there were a couple of advisories in april for water quality around grayton and holly st. i hope that if we need to stay out of the water(small kids), then someone will tell us. :)

We're currently vacationing, and we're wondering about the quality of the water. We were at Seagrove Beach Access across from Hidden Beach Villas..we usually love the beach there. we were very disheartened by the foul odor coming from the water, it was not the pristine, clean smelling water of two years ago at this time. the beach was noticeably dirty looking as well. Another thing we noticed was the absence of hundreds of ghost crabs roaming...we did not see one, and we were definitely looking!

Here's the site:
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/chdwalton/Env_Health/Healthy_Beaches.htm
The closest place to Hidden Dunes that is tested is Holly Street. Unfortunately Holly Street frequently tests bad yet it's not close enough to Hidden Dunes to really tell you anything.

There's no place near our walkover where they test. I think I'm going to buy a test kit and test the water myself. I recently got over a MRSA after being broken out for months. The doc said that it would be good for me to go into the Gulf to heal my dry skin (a result of the treatment for staph) as long as the water is clean.

spaglioni

Beach Lover
Dec 31, 2012
Here's the site:
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/chdwalton/Env_Health/Healthy_Beaches.htm
The closest place to Hidden Dunes that is tested is Holly Street. Unfortunately Holly Street frequently tests bad yet it's not close enough to Hidden Dunes to really tell you anything.

There's no place near our walkover where they test. I think I'm going to buy a test kit and test the water myself. I recently got over a MRSA after being broken out for months. The doc said that it would be good for me to go into the Gulf to heal my dry skin (a result of the treatment for staph) as long as the water is clean.

Beach Runner, Thanks for the Water Quality updates. We are, like you, part-timers (for the time being). If there is anything we can do to assist in the effort to keep our slice of paradise clean, let me know. We own in Santa Rosa (do not rent) and want to do all we can to keep SoWal clean and green.

Beach Runner, Thanks for the Water Quality updates. We are, like you, part-timers (for the time being). If there is anything we can do to assist in the effort to keep our slice of paradise clean, let me know. We own in Santa Rosa (do not rent) and want to do all we can to keep SoWal clean and green.
You are welcome.

Do any of you reading this thread know what type of water testing kit I'd need to test the Gulf water at our closest beach access? Oh, and how much it would cost? Right now I have no clue about this. I know how to test a swimming pool and "shock" it if it is really dirty, but I can't exactly "shock" the Gulf.

spaglioni

Beach Lover
Dec 31, 2012
You are welcome.

Do any of you reading this thread know what type of water testing kit I'd need to test the Gulf water at our closest beach access? Oh, and how much it would cost? Right now I have no clue about this. I know how to test a swimming pool and "shock" it if it is really dirty, but I can't exactly "shock" the Gulf.

I'll check with a few scientists I happen to know and let you know what I find out.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
http://www.co.walton.fl.us/civicalerts.aspx?AID=659

WALTON COUNTY WEEKLY BEACH SAMPLING RESULTS - ONE ADVISORY

WALTON COUNTY WEEKLY BEACH SAMPLING RESULTS
~ One Advisory Issued for This Sampling Period ~

WALTON COUNTY - The Florida Department of Health in Walton County conducts regularly scheduled saltwater beach water quality monitoring at seven sites through the Healthy Beaches Monitoring Program. Samples are collected from March through the end of October. The water samples are analyzed for enteric bacteria (enterococci) that normally inhabit the intestinal tract of humans and animals, which may cause human disease, infections, or rashes. The presence of enteric bacteria is an indication of fecal pollution, which may come from stormwater runoff, pets and wildlife, and human sewage. The purpose of the Healthy Beaches Monitoring Program is to determine whether Florida has significant coastal beach water quality problems and whether future beach monitoring efforts are necessary.

Site Name Enterococci Water Quality
SP-1 Miramar Beach 96 Moderate
SP-3 Dune Allen Beach 4 Good
SP-4 Blue Mountain Beach 1460 Poor
SP-5 Grayton Beach 32 Good
SP-7 Holly Street Beach 4 Good
SP-8 Eastern Lake Beach 16 Good
SP-9 Inlet Beach Access 4 Good

Water quality classifications are based upon United States Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) recommended criteria and Florida Healthy Beaches Program Categories:
Good = 0 - 35 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine
Moderate = 36 - 104 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine water
Poor = greater than 105 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine water

A Health Advisory has been issued for the Blue Mountain Beach Access based on the enterococci standard recommended by the EPA. This should be considered a potential health risk to the bathing public.

If you should have any questions, please contact the FDOH in Walton County at (850) 892-8021, or visit the Department of Health’s Beach Water Quality website www.doh.state.fl.us and click on “Floridians and Visitors” under “Food, Water, Air, Land,” then choose “Beach Water Quality.”

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Posted on: May 30, 2013

~ No Advisories Issued for This Sampling Period ~

Site Name Enterococci Water Quality
SP-1 Miramar Beach 24 Good
SP-3 Dune Allen Beach 12 Good
SP-4 Blue Mountain Beach 8 Good
SP-5 Grayton Beach 52 Moderate
SP-7 Holly Street Beach 20 Good
SP-8 Eastern Lake Beach 12 Good
SP-9 Inlet Beach Access 4 Good

Water quality classifications are based upon United States Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) recommended criteria and Florida Healthy Beaches Program Categories:
Good = 0 - 35 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine
Moderate = 36 - 104 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine water
Poor = greater than 105 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine water

The Health Advisory for the Blue Mountain Beach Access has been lifted.