• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Chain-link doesn't keep snakes out. My son went to retrieve a pop fly in baseball back in the day and encountered a pygmy rattler. After yelling "hey guys come look at this," they just got a new ball.

Of course, our kids watch for snakes as they are prevalent here and they know which are poisonous and which aren't. No way you can shelter them completely.
How true!! How true!!

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I have lived here since 1994, my children played little league at Helen McCall when there was only 2 baseball fields, and a football field. Most of the maintenance was performed by volunteers of the leagues during that time and when the county stepped up they made vast improvements to the complex for for which I am grateful for. All these improvements occurred after my kids outgrew the league out there. Improvement cost money and I am not saying there isn't money there but I would venture to guess there are priorities and right now that may not be at the top of the list. Might I suggest you contact Brad Alford 850-892-8108 or email him at alfbrad@co.walton.fl.us , according to the county website his office hours are Monday- Thursday 06:00-16:30. Hope this helps.
Bold print,

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Some children in our county don't have medical care, food, warm clothes, or clean water.

That makes it difficult for me to be overly concerned that your kids have to occasionally chase a ball into nature while frolicking in the great park our tax dollars built for them.

Obviously we don't want a kid to get snakebit, which is why we offered several solutions.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
You are correct. We should bee concerned about all children. I resent the implication that raising an issue about safety fences implies that I think children without food, shelter or clothing are not also an issue that needs to be addressed.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
WaltonParent, some cannot focus on the forest, they only can see one particular tree.