• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Here's a picture I picked up off Facebook of a beach in one of the Carolina's. Notice the pier. Ruins what would be a beautiful sunset celebrating Nature with a man-made monstrosity. Doesn't it seem out of place? Don't do this to 30a.
534529_441602372553777_908971359_n.jpg

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Not sure about the tubes, but I would agree with beach nourishment. The Walton County Hurricane and Storm Damage Reduction federal feasibility study (Federal Project Step 2) will be done later this year and we hope to start the Preliminary Engineering and Design phase (Federal Step 3) later this month. Step four would be construction, but it will take a little while to get there FY 2014-15 is the current goal. I would expect a workshop later this year once we get a little more information. We held one last year at a BCC meeting.

To date, all activities related to these studies and beach nourishment projects (since 1998) are funded through the 1% bed tax collected for beach nourishment by the TDC. Beach Nourishment is also listed on the County's priority list.

http://www.tencate.com/TenCate/Geosynthetics/documents/Geosystems/BRO_Containment0207.pdf

Here is something similar to what I thought I had seen. I especially like the part about the breakwater and the possibilities. Just didn't want you to think I was crazy.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006

http://www.tencate.com/TenCate/Geosynthetics/documents/Geosystems/BRO_Containment0207.pdf

Here is something similar to what I thought I had seen. I especially like the part about the breakwater and the possibilities. Just didn't want you to think I was crazy.

Oh no, I don't think you're crazy, I just am not a fan of structures in the water when you have a coastline that is fairly stable. Our problem is storm damage from hurricanes and tropical systems that make landfall and take huge chunks of dunes. These geotube-type strategies are typically employed where you have constant, ongoing erosion in multiple feet per year and you are trying to slow it. Solutions for storm-driven impacts are typically sand.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Would artificial reefs be considered structures in the water, and would they have any impact on sand accretion or erosion on the beach?

This site http://www.reefmaker.com/ provides a wealth of information about artificial reefs... the different types of structures, combinations of those structures coupled with location & placement based on seabed characteristics offering unique and different habitat benefits... including possible wave attenuation during storms that can help mitigate beach erosion.

I believe more data on wave attenuation / coastal erosion studies exist for estuarine waters than gulf waters. Also, South Walton's coastline is completely unique in that it is the highest elevation (at Blue Mountain) anywhere along the Gulf of Mexico. Walton County's 4 existing reefs are old and located 3-7 miles offshore.

Last edited:

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Here's a picture I picked up off Facebook of a beach in one of the Carolina's. Notice the pier. Ruins what would be a beautiful sunset celebrating Nature with a man-made monstrosity. Doesn't it seem out of place? Don't do this to 30a.

Personally I think the pier looks gorgeous in that photo. It makes the photo look more interesting. I'm all for a wooden pier. A concrete one on the other hand, no way.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Personally I think the pier looks gorgeous in that photo. It makes the photo look more interesting. I'm all for a wooden pier. A concrete one on the other hand, no way.

So a large amount of money is spent on the design and construction of a wooden pier, and we watch it go away in a big storm. Bye bye money. Not to mention it's proximity to a coastal dune lake.

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I really, really, really do not want a pier, no matter what it would be made of. Repeat this mantra: we love the natural beauty of this area...we love the natural beauty of this area...we love the natural beauty of this area... don't ya feel better now, and have wiped out all notions of construction into the Gulf...

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
So a large amount of money is spent on the design and construction of a wooden pier, and we watch it go away in a big storm. Bye bye money. Not to mention it's proximity to a coastal dune lake.

I'm simply commenting on the appearance. For me, the natural beauty argument doesn't carry much weight. The money issue, yeah maybe. I think structures can enhance the natural beauty if done correctly. They are what make this area so distinctive. I like the walkovers as much as I like the dunes. I like docks and piers as much as I like bodies of water. If done correctly.