• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Grayton Girl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
Sowal
On Tuesday, May 14, 2013, the Walton County Commission will consider a list of projects that they will be recommending to receive BP funding. The current #1 on the list is a two-story parking garage and a 1,500 foot concrete fishing pier to be constructed in the Gulf at Grayton Beach State Park - a $10.8 million project. For many residents, this project seems to have appeared “out of nowhere,” and little public input has been received on the ideas proposed. There has been some recent discussion on sowal forums about the pier idea, but unfortunately, comments on the forum will not reach the decision makers. If you want your voice to be heard, here is some background information and a suggestion about what you can do….

Background: Grayton Beach is a special place, and Grayton Beach State Park sits as one of the crown jewels of South Walton. For decades, concerned citizens have fought for its protection. Walton County is not like the rest of the panhandle of Florida – people come to our area because of the beautiful beaches, natural areas and the small communities that are nestled along County Road 30A.

A large concrete structure would be environmentally inconsistent with the vision of Grayton Beach State Park, which was land specifically set aside so that future generations could forever experience the wild and pristine splendor of protected dunes and an undeveloped beach. A pier will forever disrupt the iconic view from 30A looking south over Western Lake - instead of the beautiful stand of long leaf pines, we will now be treated to a view of a man-made concrete monument that looks like an interstate flyover. The increased use and activities in the Park would no doubt bring additional issues with trash and would surely disrupt the natural plant and animal communities.

What other county projects should be considered instead of the Pier? By definition the BP monies should be used for projects that restore and enhance coastal and marine resources. Such projects might include creating aquaculture opportunities, funding water quality, stormwater, and wastewater infrastructure projects (such as helping to reduce the number of septic tanks on properties abutting coastal dune lakes and the gulf), creating fishing reefs offshore, purchasing additional beach accesses, enhancing beach renourishment efforts, etc. Communities will be judged on how well they invest these precious dollars. Those counties that have long-term goals rather than short-term gratification will be the ones that will be judged favorably.

Walton County can certainly find the right projects, but the Grayton Beach Pier Project does not fit in our future.

Below are the addresses of the five Walton County Commissioners. Please voice your opinion and send them an email expressing your views that the pier project should be removed from the Walton County list submitted to the State. Remember what makes Walton County unique, and please voice your concerns in writing or in person by speaking at the meeting!

Walton County Commissioners

Bill Chapman
Commissioner. District 1
9446 Rock Hill Road
Ponce de Leon, FL 32455
chabill@co.walton.fl.us

Kenneth Pridgen
Commissioner. District 2
17400 State Highway 83 North
DeFuniak Springs, FL 32433
prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us

Bill Imfeld
Commissioner, District 3
6570 US Hwy 90 West
imfbill@co.walton.fl.us

Sara Comander
Commissioner, District 4
263 Chaffin Avenue
comsara@co.walton.fl.us

Cindy Meadows
Commissioner, District 5
70 Logan Lane
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459
meacindy@co.walton.fl.us

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks Graytongirl. When Bdarg told me that this project was actually discussed as a wonderful thing at the May 7th meeting, I thought he was joking. How it got to this level of consideration, I have no idea.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
This is typical of our "government"'s attitude about everything it does. No consideration whatsoever for what people really want or don't want. A total disconnect.

Grayton Girl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
Sowal
Jdarg and Lake View Too! I know! It is depressing when the County Commission hears from a few of folks who are in favor of a fishing pier at Grayton Beach, but don't hear from the many hundreds who oppose it! If you don't like the idea, you need to let our "decision makers" know. It is not too late! Even a short email in opposition will make a difference and will be part of the official file if we need it down the road. Please let your voice be heard if you don't want a giant concrete structure jutting out into the Gulf at Grayton Beach State Park. I can think of a million better ways to spend close to $11 million!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
If I were a betting gal, I would say that list was created by folks with a dog or two in the hunt- those who will benefit by being the ones who are consulting, designing, and constructing. I can't find where the is information on who put together the list- it certainly didn't seem to have any community input.

Bdarg said most of the people in attendance on May 7th were people who were either in favor of the project or could benefit from it- almost like the crowd had been stacked in their favor. I doubt the next meeting will be s sparsely attended by the segment of the community that understands the ridiculousness and devastation of this project.

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013, the Walton County Commission will consider a list of projects that they will be recommending to receive BP funding. The current #1 on the list is a two-story parking garage and a 1,500 foot concrete fishing pier to be constructed in the Gulf at Grayton Beach State Park - a $10.8 million project. For many residents, this project seems to have appeared “out of nowhere,” and little public input has been received on the ideas proposed. There has been some recent discussion on sowal forums about the pier idea, but unfortunately, comments on the forum will not reach the decision makers. If you want your voice to be heard, here is some background information and a suggestion about what you can do….

Background: Grayton Beach is a special place, and Grayton Beach State Park sits as one of the crown jewels of South Walton. For decades, concerned citizens have fought for its protection. Walton County is not like the rest of the panhandle of Florida – people come to our area because of the beautiful beaches, natural areas and the small communities that are nestled along County Road 30A.

A large concrete structure would be environmentally inconsistent with the vision of Grayton Beach State Park, which was land specifically set aside so that future generations could forever experience the wild and pristine splendor of protected dunes and an undeveloped beach. A pier will forever disrupt the iconic view from 30A looking south over Western Lake - instead of the beautiful stand of long leaf pines, we will now be treated to a view of a man-made concrete monument that looks like an interstate flyover. The increased use and activities in the Park would no doubt bring additional issues with trash and would surely disrupt the natural plant and animal communities.

What other county projects should be considered instead of the Pier? By definition the BP monies should be used for projects that restore and enhance coastal and marine resources. Such projects might include creating aquaculture opportunities, funding water quality, stormwater, and wastewater infrastructure projects (such as helping to reduce the number of septic tanks on properties abutting coastal dune lakes and the gulf), creating fishing reefs offshore, purchasing additional beach accesses, enhancing beach renourishment efforts, etc. Communities will be judged on how well they invest these precious dollars. Those counties that have long-term goals rather than short-term gratification will be the ones that will be judged favorably.

Walton County can certainly find the right projects, but the Grayton Beach Pier Project does not fit in our future.

Below are the addresses of the five Walton County Commissioners. Please voice your opinion and send them an email expressing your views that the pier project should be removed from the Walton County list submitted to the State. Remember what makes Walton County unique, and please voice your concerns in writing or in person by speaking at the meeting!

Walton County Commissioners

Bill Chapman
Commissioner. District 1
9446 Rock Hill Road
Ponce de Leon, FL 32455
chabill@co.walton.fl.us

Kenneth Pridgen
Commissioner. District 2
17400 State Highway 83 North
prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us

Bill Imfeld
Commissioner, District 3
6570 US Hwy 90 West
imfbill@co.walton.fl.us

Sara Comander
Commissioner, District 4
263 Chaffin Avenue
comsara@co.walton.fl.us

Cindy Meadows
Commissioner, District 5
70 Logan Lane
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459
meacindy@co.walton.fl.us
Thanks for this informative email. We can't be in Florida on the 14th because I'm giving a final exam early the next AM. I will email the commissioners.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
If I were a betting gal, I would say that list was created by folks with a dog or two in the hunt- those who will benefit by being the ones who are consulting, designing, and constructing. I can't find where the is information on who put together the list- it certainly didn't seem to have any community input.

Bdarg said most of the people in attendance on May 7th were people who were either in favor of the project or could benefit from it- almost like the crowd had been stacked in their favor. I doubt the next meeting will be s sparsely attended by the segment of the community that understands the ridiculousness and devastation of this project.

If memory serves me correctly Cliff Knauer withe Prebble Rich stated that he had done the work on the fishing pier "at no cost to the county".

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Bob, that is correct. I attended the meeting and certainly do not believe the audience was "stacked" with supporters of the fishing pier. While I have no opinion one way or the other regarding the pier, I can certainly see the fishermen's point of view. There appears to be a definite lack of balance here in SoWal between the environmentalists and those who have moved here interested in additional aspects of our quality of life. There is more required in this area than just protected forests. Protecting the environment is a noble and needed undertaking but it can be overdone just like anything else.