• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Independent Thinker, you are not alone! I live here and throughly enjoy Hurricane Oyster Bar. The oysters I had on Friday were completely tasteless...but the dollar Rolling Rock was delicious. I also asked the waitress where the oysters came from and was told they were from Texas. No one is knocking Hurricane Bar, IMO, and I am certainly not doing so. In defense of Independent Thinker, if we can't express an opinion regarding a bad experience at a favorite restaurant, what good is the "Dining and Food" thread?

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
Thank you Andy, if this section of Sowal is just for positive reviews, then it's pretty much useless as an objective review of dining experiences. I stand by what I said, staff were informed of my dislike of what I received, then I was handed my bill, and I paid it. I won't bother posting or reading anything else in this section, sorry to those who are offended by me expressing an honest opinion.

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
Had some raw oysters in New Orleans in March at my favorite dive and they were delicious. Was back in May, same place, and found them to be tasteless. Just had some in Apalachicola last week and found them to also be tasteless. Don't know what's going on. Can't blame the restaurants!

Independent Thinker, don't feel badly. I've been in your shoes MANY times.

During the process of making 14000 posts, I have learned many things. I think that most of us who are regulars on this message board have the best interests of South Walton in mind. One of the things that many of us treasure about the 30A corridor are the independent businesses and restaurants here. In the past, I would make negative comments on sowal.com/bb about bad restaurant experiences. Other posters would explain to me why this is not helpful to the community. Now when I have a problem with a restaurant, I speak to the management and give them a chance to fix it. If it happens again, I try to make a diplomatic post. Note: Sometimes I am a failboat at this if I'm tired, in a bad mood, or whatever. No one is perfect. :wave:

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thank you Andy, if this section of Sowal is just for positive reviews, then it's pretty much useless as an objective review of dining experiences. I stand by what I said, staff were informed of my dislike of what I received, then I was handed my bill, and I paid it. I won't bother posting or reading anything else in this section, sorry to those who are offended by me expressing an honest opinion.

You are free to write whatever you want. Not everything has to be positive. Although personally I prefer to write about stuff I like.

When you post something negative about a local business, you can do serious long term damage to that business. I doubt you wanted to do that. The restaurant responded to you and you have ignored the response. More to the story?

Last edited:

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
I fully expected different opinions Kurt, everybody has one. I have no problem "taking heat" on something I say or do. I said what I meant, and I meant what I said. But I'll admit I misinterpreted what this board is all about, and for that I apologize. It appears that it's just for the restaurants to post info, and for "warm and fuzzy" comments from readers, My Bad. It's definitely not for dining reviews, if you've ever read one, you should know they call names and can be pretty harsh at times. But don't worry, I promise, this will be my last look at this section of Sowal, and I will not post anything else on this board, good or bad ! Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I like honest reviews, but yours seemed overly harsh and the issue poorly handled by you at the restaurant.

If food is horrible you send it back (before you eat most of it), and let the management know. A passing comment to waitstaff as they clear your plate and then reaming out the business here just makes you look rude and petty.

Find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have properly addressed the issue if you had handled it better. Most places quickly remove items, discount the bill, or give freebies to make up for a bad item or experience.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I like honest reviews, but yours seemed overly harsh and the issue poorly handled by you at the restaurant.

If food is horrible you send it back (before you eat most of it), and let the management know. A passing comment to waitstaff as they clear your plate and then reaming out the business here just makes you look rude and petty.

Find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have properly addressed the issue if you had handled it better. Most places quickly remove items, discount the bill, or give freebies to make up for a bad item or experience.

Sounds reasonable - Hurricane has been in biz for a long time for a reason. They are good people and have a good product. Everyone makes mistakes in life and in business, It's how you recover that defines who you are. Tiger Woods hits them into the trees. He knows how to get it back on the green fast.

Overall I think we have a really great group of eateries in our community that want repeat customers.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I fully expected different opinions Kurt, everybody has one. I have no problem "taking heat" on something I say or do. I said what I meant, and I meant what I said. But I'll admit I misinterpreted what this board is all about, and for that I apologize. It appears that it's just for the restaurants to post info, and for "warm and fuzzy" comments from readers, My Bad. It's definitely not for dining reviews, if you've ever read one, you should know they call names and can be pretty harsh at times. But don't worry, I promise, this will be my last look at this section of Sowal, and I will not post anything else on this board, good or bad ! Have a great day everyone.

OK - sorry if you got your feelings hurt. Please don''t take your ball and go home. I challenge you to post something warm and fuzzy.
:lol:

southof30A

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2004
Sounds reasonable - Hurricane has been in biz for a long time for a reason. They are good people and have a good product. Everyone makes mistakes in life and in business, It's how you recover that defines who you are. Tiger Woods hits them into the trees. He knows how to get it back on the green fast.

Overall I think we have a really great group of eateries in our community that want repeat customers.

Tiger Woods hits into the bush... Hahaha!!!