• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachberbs

Beach Lover
May 24, 2008
I have now gotten two yellow fly bites in the last week. I must be allergic to these bugs. First I was bit on my ankle and my whole foot was swollen for several days and just when that bite cleared up I was bitten yesterday on my calf. These bites are itchy and my leg is swollen and it's real tight to the point it's very uncomfortable when I walk. Anyone have any remedies, or ways to avoid these bites. Ahhhhhh!

sharkstooth

Beach Lover
May 24, 2011
They love me too! But...I recover the next day. I hear that dryer sheets, like bounce, will fend them off. Rub the sheet on exposed body and tuck a fresh one, um, somewhere. Good Luck! They are vicious!

AlexG

Beach Lover
Oct 13, 2011
Keep your leg elevated if you can, ice it, also rub lemon, it helps a bit. I just had three bites and I am very allergic.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Ice the bite, then put on hand sanitizer or ammonia.

If you react very strongly, an antihistamine is also a good idea.

And killing the yellow fly also improves your recovery!

destindonna

Beach Lover
Sep 22, 2010
Purchase a repellent called Cactus Juice. Is a great deterrent. Seacrest Sundries and Modica's Market carry it.

Beachberbs

Beach Lover
May 24, 2008
Thanks for all the advice. These guys are brutal. I don't know if they are worse this year, but this is the first time in the three years we have lived here full time that this has happened.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
I have now gotten two yellow fly bites in the last week. I must be allergic to these bugs. First I was bit on my ankle and my whole foot was swollen for several days and just when that bite cleared up I was bitten yesterday on my calf. These bites are itchy and my leg is swollen and it's real tight to the point it's very uncomfortable when I walk. Anyone have any remedies, or ways to avoid these bites. Ahhhhhh!

We carry the Cactus Juice at Yellowfin. It's a natural spray made from Prickly Pear cactus juice, and contains no DEET. It works well for many people as a repellant. We have it at all three locations. $9.99
Grayton 9-4 every day
WaterColor 9-6 every day
Seagrove 9-6 every day

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
Avoid being out at dawn/dusk if possible - don't wear dark colors - it attracts thems. I think you do build up a tolerance over time or maybe I've just gotten better at avoiding them!!!