• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sully

Beach Comber
Mar 25, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
A small miracle, but a miracle by all means. Yesterday I was coming back from the bank and my phone rang, the caller hung up before I could answer, another call from the same number minutes later, same result. Minutes later another call from a different number. I answered and the voice on the other end tells me his name is Dallas and asks me if I have had a kayak stolen, I reply yes. His response, 'dude I think I have your kayak'. He asked me several questions about the kayak and after confirming several things he said 'this is your kayak man'. Come to find out that Dallas deals in used kayaks, buying, refurbishing and reselling. He recently bought my kayak off craigslist. But before he did by it he actually did a stolen kayak search through the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Dept using the hull numbers from the kayak. Since the kayak was not stolen in Okaloosa County they had no record of it being stolen and since I never registered the kayak with the hull number it did not show up in any other searches. So he buys the kayak to refurbish and resell. While searching the internet to determine a value and looking for a replacement handle he happens up on my original post on SoWal - 'Stolen Kayak' and proceeds to call me (thank you SoWal!!). Dallas lives in Mary Esther so the kayak made it from Santa Rosa Beach to there and has probably changed hands at least twice if not more. I told Dallas I would come over on Saturday and identify the kayak and pick it up but he insisted that he would bring the kayak to me, he was for sure it was mine, and so he did. When he arrived there was no doubt that it was my kayak, a few new scratches and dings but it was mine. I hugged Dallas and thanked him. I am reimbursing Dallas the money he paid for the kayak and have followed up with the Walton County Sheriff's Dept because there is definitely a trail. Hope they find the low life that stole it.

Sorry for the long post but I felt that this story needed to be told as it is simply amazing that the sequence of events lead to the recovery of my beloved kayak. But the most important thing I realized is that there are good honest people out there and Dallas is one of them. Thank you again Dallas and may you receive many blessings forward for your honesty and good nature!!

By the way Dallas works Crab Island selling koozie poles for you drinks, if you see him go up and shake his hand and if you can buy a koozie pole.

Also, thanks to all of SoWal for the support and helping find my kayak. I think I will go for a kayak ride this weekend and contemplate on what has occurred!

A small miracle, but a miracle by all means.

Attachments

• Kayak Found.jpg
    Kayak Found.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 380

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Craig's List, Pawn Shops, etc. - a new way of making a living for too many people.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Cool story - glad we could help!

I've seen posts on our site show up on Google in about 90 seconds - wild! Hard to believe we're getting close to 850,000 posts and most of them are indexed by Google and the other search engines.

Grayton Girl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
Sowal
So happy that you were able to recover your kayak! And what a great guy Dallas is! He went above and beyond, did the right thing, and I'm sure he will be "thanked" 10-fold. Great story and thanks for sharing it!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Thanks for sharing your story! Does anyone know if there is a way to register kayaks, SUPs etc with Walton County? I fear my stuff will be stolen one day, the best I have figured is to etch driver license # and name on them, but I guess that can be buffed out.

Sully

Beach Comber
Mar 25, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
My kayak actually has a hull number etched into it from the manufacturer (little did I know at the time). I called Walton County Sheriff Dept and they directed me to the DMV. I looked online and it looks like they will register boats (motorized), did not see anywhere to register kayaks but I have not called them yet. Check your kayaks for a hull number. Most people don't know about it and according to Dallas anybody dealing in second hand kayaks will check the hull number and if it is buffed or sanded down will not buy the kayak.

Last edited: