• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Kudos to the Donut Hole. Can someone get an article in the paper about having businesses use clever techniques to keep our visitors safe such as the paper bags, giving out the Seymore pamphlets and other ideas to get the word out about the flag system? SoWal could be a role model for other beach communities while saving a few lives. I realize that ultimately the decision is that of the person who decides to go into or stay out of the ocean (or let their children go into or stay out of the ocean), but some people just miss the message. I go to Sanibel Island every now and then and there's no safety information about the beaches. Either they don't have any risks of rip tides or anything else, or they just don't let tourists know. After seeing SoWal's efforts to use the flag system (even though they're imperfect), they're better than some areas and could definitely be best-in-class.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
This was posted about 4 hours ago, before the change to double red:

There have been 10 water rescues so far today. Please be reminded that our Walton County beaches are under a red and purple flag warning, and entering the Gulf past your knees is very hazardous. Most that enter are not familiar with the strength of the surf and exceed their capabilities. There has also been reports of jellyfish in the area. PLEASE USE CAUTION AND ADHERE TO THE FLAGS AND REMEMBER KNEE DEEP IS TOO DEEP.
[...]

Yesterday you could see multiple rip currents pretty clearly on the Seagrove skycam. You can still see 3 or 4 of them in the same cam this morning (darker bands running perpendicular to shore), though the incoming waves are smaller so the rip current force would be lighter. If they were that prevalent yesterday it's not surprising swimmers were getting into trouble.

I think if you keep the alert at a high level too frequently, people get desensitized. There's not always a one-to-one correlation between red flags and actual rip currents. By the time they change red to double red because of rescues, they must have realized they've got actual rip currents in the area instead of potential ones.

I wonder if there's some way to have better monitoring so when they put up a red flag, it's more believable. More beach cameras like the skycam on One Seagrove Place might help. How about a beach cam on every beach flag pole?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Here is my take on this situation: You can devise any flag scheme, scare tactics, advanced monitoring system or media campaign you want to dissuade red flag swimmers, but it will never work. Why? Because, as Kit pointed out above, people anticipate coming here for weeks to months in advance and spend big money to do so, and they are gonna get in that Gulf come Hell, high water or red flags! That anticipation, frustration and poor judgement is what leads to these drowning deaths.

So what would I do if given a blank check to actually impact the number of drownings and let people percieve that they are salvaging a vacation? I would scrap the whole idea of the softball park and instead build a huge wave park. As kids we used to go to one at Buccaneer State Park in Mississippi (not sure if Katrina demolished it or not), but maybe you have been to one;essentially, they are humongous pools that generate waves, simulating the ocean quite well. That park could be open all swimming season and on a daily basis generate revenue from admission, concessions, locker rentals, etc. Then, when we have red flag days, the admission could be free for anyone staying in a SOWAL rental, and half price for anyone, perhaps even bribing with cokes or whatever. You have to give people options besides plain old swimming pools, and this would be one. I'm not naive to think this would stop all knuckleheads from entering the gulf on double red days, but I bet it would help cut down on the problem tremendously. And it would generate money even on green flag days and be an honest to goodness swim/play park for locals and visitors alike. Crazy idea? Sure, but the very definition of insanity is trying the same failed techniques and expecting a different outcome. So no more crazy than cartoon crabs begging attention be paid to flags admonishing people to stay out of the water that they came down here to swim in!

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Yes, people come here for the beach and the ocean. It's understandably their focus. But like Kit said, some will listen so I don't think it's pointless putting time into education, warning, or monitoring. As many drownings as are attributed to rip currents, they are still a hard to see therefore an abstract threat.

I'm not into scare tactics and I don't believe people should be banned from swimming on red flags or denigrated for having the misfortune to drown. But I do believe the more accurate information there is, the more accurate and specific the warnings are, the more people can use that to make their own choices.

Something I find that makes rip currents more concrete are actual stories of near drownings:

http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/real_life.shtml

and

http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/real_life-intl.shtml

If I had a magic wand, I'd take each and every person that wanted to go in on red flags and show them how it feels to suddenly realize you're in chest deep water or deeper and you can NOT get to shore. I'd show people how to spot rip currents and I would show them how it feels when you are in one. I'd teach them how to float with it rather than fight it and panic. And if they can't float by themselves in choppy water for at least an hour I'd strap one of those fanny pack inflatable life vests on them or strap something that floats to them before they go in even knee deep.

With respect to publishing the drowning statistics, I found this chart interesting:

unintentional drownings walton county.png

Source is: http://www.floridacharts.com/charts/DataViewer/DeathViewer/DeathViewer.aspx?indNumber=0105

I'm not sure if this includes pool and other water sources, but if it does I'd still guess the majority are beach drownings.

Last edited:

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
It seems to me we are doing all we can. People are simply going to risk it. Smoking is known to cause cancer and yet people still smoke. As a surfer I get very nervous when people mention banning people from the water. I wait all year for red and double red flags to get into the water. But... I also have something attached to my leg (surfboard). Maybe, we keep educating and also tell people that they really should not ever get in the water without something attached to their body. Its a big body of water and things can get weird quickly. We simply are not going to keep people out of the waves. They are fun. Maybe we also should educate how to be safe in the water?

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I've said it before and I'll say it again..."STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES". When people go right back into the water after the beach patrol leaves, after being warned as to what the double red flag means ( I've seen this first hand )I think there is nothing that will impress these people. Maybe they ought to be forced to leave the beach with all their belongings if caught ignoring the flags - no exceptions.

I see what Bobby J is saying. He is a surfer, and Red Flag time is the best for surfing unless there are washing machine waves. He is attached to his surfboard and is experienced with waves. I don't know how to sort out that exception. You can't compare an experienced surfer on a surfboard with vacationers with no protection in my opinion.

Mello Yolo

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
Seems as though most of the drowndings are vacationers. Perhaps we need to try some "straightforward" diplomacy and more direct reminders. In all seriousness, how about promoting a new bumper/window sticker??

Attachments

• Swim on Red3.jpg
    Swim on Red3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 540

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think the planes flying banners advertising for happy hours should be used to tell people to get out of the water. I also think posting statistics of rescues and drownings should be known to tourist. I know when I used to vacation down here, I never heard about drownings. That would have gotten my attention. I love the way doughnut hole puts the flag system on their bags and wish more places would do that.

Yes! I thought the flag system on Donut Hole bags was great!

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Or we could try a bit of sensitivity and and compassion rather than insulting the dearly departed and their families. One of whom died as a hero trying to save a life of a stranger. Your scoreboard idea is one of the most callous and insensitive things I've seen in a long time.

Several lakes in Missouri and Illinois have "shocker signs" at their beaches/swim areas. They state the number of persons who have drowned at that lake along with a safety message. The intent is to reach boaters and swimmers with a "reality check" to get them to realize that drownings can become a reality for those who choose to ignore the warnings