• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JoBu

Beach Comber
Jun 4, 2008
We're headed down in a couple weeks (please hurry up!!) to spend a week in Seaside for the week of July 4th. Although we've visited Seaside for many years, we've never been down on the 4th. Can ya'll provide some insight about things we need to make sure we see\attend while down that are holiday related? Seems like i read somewhere about a parade that ends in Seaside (?) and fireworks that night. Besides this, what are some other things we should know about? I'm guessing the week of the 4th is more crowded than most other weeks during the summer???

Also, during all our years of coming down, we always find ourselves eating at the same places: Goatfeathers, Spicy Noodle, Red Bar, Great American Cafe, variety of places in Seaside. This year we would like to venture out to a few 'new' places. Any suggestions? We have 2 small children and the family coming with us also has 2 small children, so any place we go needs to be somewhat kid friendly and casual.

(Just found out today that we may be headed back to Seaside at the end of July for a short stay with brother\sister-in-law. One trip a summer to Seaside is a blessing. Two trips to Seaside is like winning the vacation lottery!!!)

Marla Burns

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2007
SoWal.com is your insider’s guide to events, live music, dining, shopping and everything local! See SoWal.com Events Calendar for complete listings of all the events in and around South Walton coming up July 4th and throughout the summer. It's there that you'll find details about the July 4th parade and fireworks. Click on individual events for details. Check the SoWal.com Dining Forum and SoWal.com Restaurant Guide for everything you want to know about local eateries.

It's definitely more crowded here on holidays and Seaside's parking situation has changed to help make things easier for visitors. Read about it HERE. Hope this information helps you and we wish you safe travels and a great vacation.

Last edited:

beasmiester

Beach Lover
Sep 1, 2009
Don't limit yourself to Seaside. Seaside is a wonderful place but there are many more areas east and west of the 395 intersection that are wonderful and have personalities totally different. Both ends of 30A have beautiful beaches, great places to eat and slower pace living and relaxing. Speaking for the east end, we're more laid back, less crowded and live life with reserved grace in Paradise!

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
One quick note is that July 4th is the busiest holiday of the year and Sowal has well over a million visitors in Summer with July being the big month. If you come prepared for it to be busy and things will take a little longer then you should be ok. Regarding dining, go EARLY and if there is somewhere you "have to eat"- call soon and see if you can make a reservation. Finally, if you are making a Saturday checkout and plan on driving up Hwy 331, realize that you can't leave too early as it becomes a parking lot. Ok enough of the warnings.

The fireworks are pretty amazing, the parade is a great family event, and the area really shines in the summer. Enjoy as a busy day at the beach is likely still better than a quiet day at home.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The parade is kind of hokey but loads of fun. It has become a family tradition for my wife and I to attend and sit across the street close to the judge stand. I am wondering if this year I'll be able to use our parking place. Since we go early, in the past, it has never been a problem.

JoBu

Beach Comber
Jun 4, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. While we spend much of our time in Seaside, i would like to take the family to one of the coastal lakes. Is there one that is better suited for visiting with small kids (5&7) and are there any canoe or other type of water vehicles that can be rented to explore the lakes? Thanks...

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The parade is kind of hokey but loads of fun. It has become a family tradition for my wife and I to attend and sit across the street close to the judge stand. I am wondering if this year I'll be able to use our parking place. Since we go early, in the past, it has never been a problem.

If you want to see a hokey parade go to Grayton Beach 4th of July Parade! It happens at the same time as Seaside's. It is totally "unplanned". Roll out of bed, drive to Grayton Beach, and get in line at Red Bar in your truck, jeep, car, bike, skateboard, whatever... decorate (either the day before or when you arrive)... bring your water guns (they say its not allowed but...)... the parade goes around town a few times honking and waving at people out on the porches or in their yards. By then its so hot you just go straight to the beach and jump in.

I'm amazed at how huge the Seaside parade has become. Many of the participants do a great job with their decor and costumes and all! The Seaside Repertory Theatre always has a fun float along with many other individuals and local businesses! Quite a celebration in Seaside!

Last edited: