• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Andy, I agree with you. Overall the service industry is very good in Sowal and it can be a very expensive place to live, especially if you are trying to be a full-time resident. I had the pleasure of spending most of my twenties in the area and saw first hand how important that extra dollar of a tip was for my friends. I am happy to be able to give a little more so that those who are busting their tails can get a little.

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
The minimum wage for restaurant servers is $2.13 per hour and has been the same since 1991. Very little of that actually ends up with the server after taxes, etc.

Servers pay a portion of their tips to the food runners and to the service bar. It gets split a lot of ways.

I have worked as a counter girl / line cook; food runner and waitress and can assure you first hand that a good tip is most appreciated and needed. If you have never performed any of these jobs, I challenge you to do it for one day, and you will probably be a great tipper after that!

Please note what sunshine just said. Please remember that many servers make minimum wage. I didn't realize how low minimum wages are for restaurant workers until she posted that.

If you order an $8 entrée and a $1.75 Coke, when you tip 15%, the waiter only gets $1.58.

The waiters at more expensive restaurants do better. If they have a $30 entrée, $20 in drinks, they make $8.07 at 15%. But that wouldn't pay for a burger and a Coke at a cheaper restaurant.

So please remember to tip generously, especially at less expensive restaurants. The amount is really more important than the percentage. I mean, 15% of a small amount of money is virtually nothing. So crank it up to about $3 a person or about 25%. Yet 15% of a large amount of money is more, yet wouldn't pay for a burger and a Coke for the waiter. My rule is 20% and more if the service is great.

If the service is bad, is it the kitchen's fault or the waiter's fault? If you are unhappy, talk to the manager. Don't leave and just stiff the waiter. The manager should appreciate constructive criticism.

I like how George's does what Houston's does. They print 15%, 18%, 20% tips on the ticket so that you don't have to do math in your head after having a couple of drinks (or even worse, get out a calculator to compute a tip).

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Stiffing the staff is unacceptable. If the food/service/drinks are horrible tell someone, don't be passive aggressive/cheap and leave a bad tip.

T-Boy

Beach Comber
Jun 4, 2013
I tip at least 20% for good service and I can count the times when I really poor service. Most people in the food service industry understand the service part of the equation and deliver it. I can call one particular bad experience where I left this "tip" scribbled on the bill: Plant your corn early next year.