• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

egbmomma

Beach Crab
Jun 18, 2013
My family has come to Florida every year for as long as I can remember, but never stayed in 30A. This year we are! Unfortunately, my dad has been diagnosed with ALS and his mobility is greatly slowing by the week. We are staying in High Pointe, which has lots of stairs and I have been told no assisted access to the beach. We decided to stay here so we could walk to eat and such, but that has all changed since we booked. I was wondering if the golf carts can be rented to buzz around the towns, and if there is any way to get to the beach if he cannot navigate the stairs. I want this to be a good visit for so many reasons. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Seagrovestateofmind

Beach Lover
Mar 9, 2012
Hoover AL and Seagrove Fl
The Bramble Grove Beach Access in Seagrove is disability friendly. There is a long multi-level ramp available. The life guards there also have a sand wheel chair available. This is a short drive from High Pointe, but it is the only one I know avaialable. If you can get a parking place at Walton Dunes, it is very flat there.

Just some thoughts. Others will probably know more.

sadie1

Beach Lover
May 31, 2009
egb momma yes you can rent golf carts and several vendors advertise on here.Unfortunately much of 30-a has step drops to the beach. i would recommend driving next to the dunes at seagrove were the beach next to the complex is the flatiest around were the beach sand actually gets on the road. its about 5-6 miles from high point

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Check out the public beach at Inlet Beach. There is a long ramp (I don't believe there are stairs), the beach is wide but not deep which means your dad won't have to go too far to get to the water. Or, he may want to stay near the ramp and he'll still get a good view of the water. The life guard station is near the ramp. If High Point is in the Seacrest Beach area, Inlet beach is closer than Seagrove. Just go to the end of 30A, turn right onto 98, go about 1/4-1/2 mile and turn right. That will take you right to the beach with parking and bathrooms. I don't know if a beach wheelchair is available, though. If you're in the Rosemary Beach, Villages of South Walton, and Alys Beach area, it will be relatively easy to get around those communities. There's a walking trail at Alys beach that may be wheelchair friendly and is about 1/2 mile long through the native environment. I believe it is or mostly paved/level.

By the way, we have a friend who was diagnosed with ALS in his 40s and his friends created a foundation to raise money for research. He's doing pretty well under the circumstances, and is married with two young children. Here's the Facebook link and on it are two videos about 5 of his friends, (women, mostly moms with jobs and kids at home) who decided to swim the English Channel to try to break the world record to raise money for ALS. Non professional swimmers, they did it! Great, heartwarming, inspiring, sometimes funny videos, professional done. One of the swimmers was diagnosed with breast cancer part way through the training for the swim, and continued even more devotedly with the swim. One of the other swimmers said her young daughter now things that when you get cancer, you swim the English Channel! Here's the link in case you're curious about these inspiring videos: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Channel-for-ALS/217346511634247 .

Enjoy the beach and the area!

seacrestgirl

Beach Fanatic
Nov 25, 2006
Griffin, GA and Seacrest
The public access at Inlet Beach is definitely easy. Only a ramp, no stairs. I have not seen a beach wheelchair, but wonder if you could gain access to one. You may want to check with the lifeguard there. When you exit from 30A onto 98, turn right. Turn right again onto the 3rd street on the right, which is Orange St.

Otherwise, you can get around your area pretty easily with a golf cart/vehicle.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
If you do decide to rent a "golf cart" to get around be advised that to drive on the public roads this must be an LSV (Low Speed Vehicle - titled and licensed for road use). Golf carts can only be used within communities.
I concur with using the Inlet Beach access as it has facilities and is flat from parking lot to beach. Rosemary Beach has wheelchair compliant beach access but you have to be staying there to use it. Enjoy your stay on 30a (good bumper sticker).

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Here is information from the South Walton Fire District web site (www.swfd.org) on beach wheelchairs:

1. Where can I find a beach wheelchair?The South Walton Fire District (SWFD) in partnership with the Walton County Tourist Development Council (TDC), continually explore strategies to enhance the beach going experience. Through the Beach Safety and Education Program, our beaches are safer, but many visitors face hurdles to enjoy the emerald green waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

The beach wheelchairs are located at the following beach accesses: Pompano Joe's (Miramar Beach), Ed Walline Park (Santa Rosa Beach) and Bramble Grove (Seagrove Beach) from 10 a.m. until 5.30 p.m. daily, through the lifeguard season which is from the first Saturday in March until the last Sunday in September.

Each chair must operated by an on-duty lifeguard. A beach wheelchair waiver must be signed by the beach wheelchair patron or their caregiver. It is requested that the beach patron limit the usage of the beach wheelchair to the beach area in the immediate area of the public beach access. In order to facilitate the possible need for multiple patrons, it is recommended that the beach patron's personal chair be used once the patron has reached their beach location.

egbmomma

Beach Crab
Jun 18, 2013
Thank you to each of you who took time to respond. This is all new to us, and right now he can walk, but walking in the sand is tiring and he is not that good at telling us when something is too much. I just wanted to be as prepared as I can so we can just roll with it, and my dad wont feel like a burden. I will definitely check out the videos. ALS is a monster and needs to be tamed! Thanks again!