• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Any possible correlation between removing the easily readable flag signs at beach accesses and the increase in rescues?

I know you can't fix stupid and some people will ignore any signage or warnings, but those signs were quite easy to see and comprehend. Walking around to the back side of a sign to see something half the size just doesn't seem very effective.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Any possible correlation between removing the easily readable flag signs at beach accesses and the increase in rescues?

I know you can't fix stupid and some people will ignore any signage or warnings, but those signs were quite easy to see and comprehend. Walking around to the back side of a sign to see something half the size just doesn't seem very effective.

I am not sure what you mean. Was there a recent change in the signage?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
There was at my beach access. There used to be a large sign about the flags as you headed down the boardwalk and another sign you saw when coming up from the beach. Now the only flag info is much smaller and hard to see as part of the blue sign down on the beach.

Wave safely billboards also give zero info as to what flags mean and you can barely see the flags on them.

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
I think we should bring Seymour the Crab back. The bill board with the waves and the colored dots (I mean flags) is a waste of money.
I put the magnets I got from Goatfeathers in my rental.

Florida Fever

Beach Comber
Jun 7, 2012
It may sound cheesy, but at age 37 I had never been to the beach. Before we visited I did my research on beach conditions. Came across SOWAL fire department website which clearly explained the beach flag system and hazards as well as offered free text messages each day. We taught our kids and other family members what the flags meant. To this day I still get text messages when its a double red flag day. Guess they wany EVERYONE to know and be aware. Great service.