• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

hightide82

Beach Comber
May 25, 2013
Can anyone recommend a reliable contractor to remove the popcorn ceiling from a circa 1984 condo?

TreyD

Beach Comber
Apr 25, 2012
It is a very messy process. Depending on how it was originally applied it may be faster and cheaper to cut out the existing sheetrock and replace. If the popcorn can be scraped you will still have to float out any "waves" in your structural framing. any texture in drywall can hide a lot of imperfections. In any instance you'll also need to prime, paint, and possibly put a light knockdown/orangepeel texture. Not as easy as one may seem. It will be well worth it. Always cleans up the space and seems to make it more inviting! Hope this helps!

Trey

southof30A

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2004
Do they make any kind of vacuum attachment that sucks up the popcorn as it is scraped off? Once off, I would think a simple light knockdown spackle would be the way to go.

Also looking for a contractor to replace some suspended acoustic tile ceiling with drywall. Could be all part of the same project.

TreyD

Beach Comber
Apr 25, 2012
You can try but you won't get it all! You have to cover everything, move furniture around each area and clean. It sounds like a good project! I would suggest a light knockdown it will save time from floating everything out. Like I said before it is a messy project from start to end but money well spent. If you opt for removing the drywall you can also add lighting/move lighting, etc. When it is all out. This will keep cost of installation for these things down little.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Trey is telling it like it is. Most drywall contractors would rather just tear out the old and run new. It costs about the same. I have had clients who agonized over this issue and just elected to cover over existing Sheetrock with wood.

TreyD

Beach Comber
Apr 25, 2012
@southof30A- if there is any kind of frame to work off of then you could definitely sheetrock the area. If not then you would need to frame beforehand.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I wouldn't spend a penny on something like this personally.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Maybe you're right. It looks good with gold medallions and polyester suits.

I never saw what the big deal was. To me it's a very neutral, insignificant, feature. Couldn't care less one way or another. Some people hate them, oh well.