• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'll play devils advocate here - I have been to county meetings and watched our elected officials in action. I've communicated with our officials both at social events and even recently sent a letter to a current county commisioner who still has not responded (Whole other issue but if an elected official can update their personal Facebook page why can't they respond to a constituents e-mail?). I want our Sheriff to ENFORCE THE LAW WHATEVER AND WHEREVER it is needed. I agree about minor offenses but I've seen 1st hand the lack of attention and enforcement when it comes to our police. It will take someone having a tragic accident in a golf cart, LSV or whatever you want to call them before our officials will wake the heck up!!

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
I'll play devils advocate here - I have been to county meetings and watched our elected officials in action. I've communicated with our officials both at social events and even recently sent a letter to a current county commisioner who still has not responded (Whole other issue but if an elected official can update their personal Facebook page why can't they respond to a constituents e-mail?). I want our Sheriff to ENFORCE THE LAW WHATEVER AND WHEREVER it is needed. I agree about minor offenses but I've seen 1st hand the lack of attention and enforcement when it comes to our police. It will take someone having a tragic accident in a golf cart, LSV or whatever you want to call them before our officials will wake the heck up!!

Fair enough and I understand the argument but with millions of tourists here there is going to be some unwanted behavior. Overall I think we are extremely lucky to have relatively good behavior and low crime.

Golf carts can be a pain in the arse but aren't we all glad we don't have bigger problems?

Seaside and Rosemary Beach can probably get away with banning them but if the county tries it they'll get sued by cart rental companies.

ktape

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2007
This will BECOME a much bigger problem if not dealt with. For example I just drove from Whiskey Bravo to Watercolor, I witnessed 5 golf carts driving and not a single occupant was wearing a seat belt. In addition occupants in 2 of the carts were drinking beer. I think the best way to deal with problems is to deal with them when they are small not wait until they become big.

Whoever said that lowering the speed limit on thirty-a would increase the problem is right on. Allowing the largely self- important group, that insist that it is their right to operate LSVs, to expand their reach, is idiocy. I sympathize with the guy who operates his LSV in a lawful manner, but the truth is, he is in the minority. I sincerely hope the BCC has the wisdom not to decrease the speed limit, whereby they will increase the problem by significantly increasing the opportunity for violations and safety issues that are already not being enforced or addressed.

The cart rental companies are interested in one thing, renting carts. They weren't here 3 years ago, we don't need them. They need to be outlawed on 30a. Keep them in the neighborhoods where they belong.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
I understand people wanting their own LSVs on 30A. I'm sure they are fun. Many of those people will say it's not them causing the problem, only the rule breakers, so let them be punished and leave me alone.

But just imagine, what if EVERYONE that came to 30A had their own LSV? And everyone of them still has their own SUV or gas guzzler. Even if they all obey the rules, how does that affect parking, traffic, congestion? How would that affect your experience on 30A?

Golf carts or LSVs are fine for self-contained, enclosed communities. They do not belong on a 20 mile highway meant to connect separate communities.

I think if you stop bashing tourists as the cause of this problem, you'd find most of them feel the same way. There's obviously a market for LSVs, but that doesn't mean the majority of tourists either like them or want them.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I understand people wanting their own LSVs on 30A. I'm sure they are fun. Many of those people will say it's not them causing the problem, only the rule breakers, so let them be punished and leave me alone.

But just imagine, what if EVERYONE that came to 30A had their own LSV? And everyone of them still has their own SUV or gas guzzler. Even if they all obey the rules, how does that affect parking, traffic, congestion? How would that affect your experience on 30A?

Golf carts or LSVs are fine for self-contained, enclosed communities. They do not belong on a 20 mile highway meant to connect separate communities.

I think if you stop bashing tourists as the cause of this problem, you'd find most of them feel the same way. There's obviously a market for LSVs, but that doesn't mean the majority of tourists either like them or want them.

To call 30 a highway is quite a misnomer. It is a rural road never intended for the current level of traffic and has failed traffic density studies done in the past. If not the tourist who would you blame for the current situation? If they feel the same way as you say then why don't they just stop renting these things and the problem would go away. Of course they won't but lament other people who do, kind of like NIMB numbnuts.

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
Imo, the ones who suffer most from THE GOLF CARTS,LSVs are people who work in Seaside and the other communities on that end of30A.I'm a tourist,try to get there at least twice a year,I can see many problems with these vehicles; just wait until some one gets a serious injury or worse,who will get sued over that one?Seems to me the venders of the toys should pack up and take their business elsewhere.They are not needed on30A.

catmoney

Beach Comber
May 23, 2009
To call 30 a highway is quite a misnomer. It is a rural road never intended for the current level of traffic and has failed traffic density studies done in the past. If not the tourist who would you blame for the current situation? If they feel the same way as you say then why don't they just stop renting these things and the problem would go away. Of course they won't but lament other people who do, kind of like NIMB numbnuts.

I am a long time member of the Sowal website. I read every day and rarely post. I own property in Walton County and all my family is from Walton County. However, I do not live there. I do visit the area two to three times a month throughout the year. I am totally against golf carts on 30A. I believe they are great in a large community like Sandestin, but not on 30A. I have been coming to the Beaches of 30A all my life, so more than 40 years. Since I don't live there, I guess I am a tourist. However, I don't consider myself to be a “touron”, “NINB” or a numbnut or any other derogatory term you care to use. I care very much about the area and wouldn't do anything to harm the area. In fact, I do my very best to blend in with the locals and have found most locals that I know or meet to be great people. I believe you love the area also, but you must be the most negative person I have encountered on this website. You spout nothing but negativity. If I lived at the beach, I think I would be a little happier. I really feel sorry for you. That’s just my two cents.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
I am a long time member of the Sowal website. I read every day and rarely post. I own property in Walton County and all my family is from Walton County. However, I do not live there. I do visit the area two to three times a month throughout the year. I am totally against golf carts on 30A. I believe they are great in a large community like Sandestin, but not on 30A. I have been coming to the Beaches of 30A all my life, so more than 40 years. Since I don't live there, I guess I am a tourist. However, I don't consider myself to be a “touron”, “NINB” or a numbnut or any other derogatory term you care to use. I care very much about the area and wouldn't do anything to harm the area. In fact, I do my very best to blend in with the locals and have found most locals that I know or meet to be great people. I believe you love the area also, but you must be the most negative person I have encountered on this website. You spout nothing but negativity. If I lived at the beach, I think I would be a little happier. I really feel sorry for you. That’s just my two cents.

Great post! The negative nellies post too much. I guess the rest of us just don't have enough to complain about. lol

You should post more.

second wind

Beach Lover
Feb 18, 2013
Watercolor is debating the endless LSV issue Thursday with a Board vote on Friday.
Homeowners voted and are against rental LSV's with all the numerous problems witnessed and documented .
People with financial interests in these LSV " golf cart " rental companies are really pushing 30a HOA's and their Boards to pass use of LSV's in their communities. Rosemary has tabled their decision but homeowners have voiced they are not welcomed there and will fight it. And Seaside is still debating all their traffic issues including LSV's .
Any other association along 30a debating this? Nature Walk? Alys? Seacrest?