• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
Heading home after a gorgeous two weeks in SOWAL . Thought I'd provide some info as so many others have aided in my research.
Bud & Alley's--- one of our first stops. A friend and I shared the crab cakes and the grouper. I have to say I had three or so different crab cakes over the two weeks and these were my favorite. The lemon buerre blanc sauce and light breading not overly fried were the reasons why. Service and view were top notch . No wait as well for our party of 9--good timing.

The Great Southern Cafe-
The wait for this restaurant wax 1:45 minutes. This seemed okay to us because we had a pager and were able to shop while we waited. We knew what we were coming for and the food was as good as we remember. The grits a ya ya is one of our favorite dishes. And the men enjoyed the beef dish, three meats I think it's called was served in an iron pot and was delicious. The key lime pie is superb. I wish I knew how they make the meringue so sweet, light and fluffy. Our party of t nine usually meant that a 20% gratuity was automatically added. This was extremely frustrating at great southern. The service was horrible. We actually could see our waitress sitting on a stool as we were all waiting for drink refills. We should have asked for a manager and complained.

Borago's

My friend and I had the chocolate creme brûlée after dinner elsewhere. The server was polite, witty even though we were just there for dessert. Delicious!

Shrimp shack-
Over priced- I had the peel and eat shrimp. I prefer goat feathers but the dining with a view is great. My friends lobster roll was bland and overpriced.

Fat daddy's pizza-
Thick. Yummy and they deliver . I ordered from them twice. Second time for the kids as hubs and I were headed out alone. Kids cinnamon stocks delivered with garlic sauce not typical icing.

Louis Louis
Again, perfect timing. No wait and a table waiting since we called ahead. We had a quiet room for just our party and the service was the best of our trip. A very nice feature here is the kids meals are the same entrées as adults at half price.
The sizes were huge and filling. Everything our table had was delicious. I seriously don't think you could go wrong at Louis Louis. Also, this is the only location that did not automatically add our 20% mandated tip.

Beach Walk Cafe
The hubby and I celebrated our 18th anniversary here with the dinner. It was our first time here and it was delightful. It was uncrowded. The view was incredible. The service attentive. And the food delicious. We had the eggplant appetizer and it was divine. I chose the grouper on a bed of potato leek hash with sautéed spinach. This will become a retuning location for us. Although outside of SOWAL it is really worth the drive. Ladies are given a rosé and gentlemen the bill .

Donut Hole-
Not sure I would wait here, but again late morning timing with a grocery trip and I enjoyed oat banana pancakes that were delicious! I had half the plate left they were so big! Donuts are good too, but so are Krispy Kreme from Tom Thumb. Lol

Miss Lucille's
You can beat a muffin and a mocha from here. My friend loves the feta Danish. Kids and hubs love the ice cream.

Elmo's
My kids would say they had their favorite burger from here. I would say its a good fish and fry place if you want fried fish. We enjoyed the atmosphere and laid back style for an arrival night. In the past we have brought our own fish and they have cooked to our delight and style. One of our group even joined the musician for a few songs. Fun a the way around.

Donut hut-
Over priced, I predict they wi be out of business by our next trip. Weird, donuts. Cinnamon twists need icing or something. Taste like cinnamon toast with grit.

Pandora's
Some of our group just want a wildfire grilled steak every trip. This place always delivers that. Personally, I love the crabmeat topped filet with bernaise sauce . Delicious . 5 steaks and only one cooked wrong. Overcooked . Service was fabulous and rest actions accepted. Interior had been updated. They must have responded to negative reviews which personally I don't understand .

Goat feathers
Always get fresh shrimp from here--- first stop. Never dissapointed . They will steam for you.

Whales tail-destin
Childhood memory here. We used to eat when much smaller and we stayed at seascape over 30 years ago. View is great as right on beach. Kids can play on beach as they wait for food. Overpriced, slow service and servers that are foreign and hard to understand . Last trip here for a meal if burgers that tops 100 for 5.

Hope that helps someone enjoy some delicious dinners.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Heard the same about the donut hut..great report...glad to see Elmo's picked it up kind of
Hit or miss for me. Come back Soon!

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Oops. Pandora may be the best grilled fish In Sowal. Heck they grill on their Wood Fire
Grill behind the glass and you can watch grouper and steaks cooking.

whiteyfunn

SoWal Staff
Jul 1, 2005
Seagrove Beach
Pandora's is one of my favorite places in SoWal! I had the soft shell crab over seafood gumbo and I licked my plate it was so good!

The chef, Chris Mack, is super talented and really knows how to create specials that highlight the local seafood.

Heard the same about the donut hut..great report...glad to see Elmo's picked it up kind of
Hit or miss for me. Come back Soon!
We tried Donut Hut for the first time this week. Three of the four of us liked them better than Donut Hole. I prefer Donut Hole. Even though I like the freshness and yeasty taste of the ones from Donut Hut, I like a donut to have some sweetness to it.

sadie1

Beach Lover
May 31, 2009
Pandoras has good food but i can't pay $40 for a porterhouse of $37 for a filet when i can get the same steak at outback for $23.The prime rib special is a good deal