• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bdarg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Point Washington
I have stopped by a few times to look at the site. I was looking at the fill toward the end of last week. From what I saw it looked like the red clay/sand mix that we often see used on roads around here.
From what I saw of the old road bed a few days before they started placing the fill, it looked like a variety of colors which, to me would suggest a variety of soil types; orangy red of clay, light areas of sand, ect. Of course the old road bed was placed long before there was concern for coastal dune lakes, or preservation of sugar white sand beaches. Of course, back then it was probably about convenience and economy more so than preservation of the lake, thus the undersized culvert pipes.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
This afternoon, at 3:30pm, Walton County District 5 Commissioner Cindy Meadows announced the reopening of CR 30A at Big Redfish Lake, effective immediately.
WALTON COUNTY DISTRICT 5 COMMISSIONER CINDY MEADOWS ANNOUNCES REOPENING OF CR 30A AT BIG REDFISH LAKE

This afternoon, Walton County District 5 Commissioner Cindy Meadows announced the reopening of CR 30A at Big Redfish Lake, effective immediately.

Due to large rain events that have been occurring in Walton County since the July 4th weekend, a section of roadway CR 30A at Big Redfish Lake had collapsed in August. Crews have been working to repair the section of road in order to reopen it to traffic for several weeks.

"We are happy to be able to reopen the damaged section of 30A at Big Redfish Lake to once again allow East/West travel possible for our citizens, businesses and visitors," said Meadows. "I would also like to recognize the great work that was done by our Public Works Department and the District 5 Road Crew in repairing the roadway and making it safe for travel."

As a reminder, the County will continue to move forward to obtain the necessary permits and work on design for a permanent bridge that would be constructed there in the future. As you may be aware the permitting process can be lengthy so in the issuance of being able to open the road to the public, this seems like the best option. Once permits have been established and the design process has been completed, it will be decided when to re-close that section of road for construction.

flajones

Beach Comber
Oct 21, 2009
www.basmatisthirtya.com
A hearty THANK YOU! from Basmati's Asian Cuisine and on behalf of the merchants and residents of Blue Mountain Beach for getting the road fixed in a safe and timely manner. Special Thanks go out to the Walton County Public Works Department, Walton County Bridge Crew, Billy "The Environmental Guy" for Walton County, and even the Dept of Corrections crews that helped with their labor. And also a Thank you to the Walton County Board of County Commissioners for giving the go ahead to our county employees to get the job done. Again, THANK YOU! O Happy Day, 30A is open again!

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I hate to think about the $$ wasted on this "band-aid". They should have waited and done it right since most businesses had already lost the last big weekend. That last sentence says it all.........
As a reminder, the County will continue to move forward to obtain the necessary permits and work on design for a permanent bridge that would be constructed there in the future. As you may be aware the permitting process can be lengthy so in the issuance of being able to open the road to the public, this seems like the best option. Once permits have been established and the design process has been completed, it will be decided when to re-close that section of road for construction.
.. lets just hope that the permits etc are acquired and the real fix done before the start of summer NEXT year.

flajones

Beach Comber
Oct 21, 2009
www.basmatisthirtya.com
Have to think that the county portion of sales tax revenue generated in Blue Mountain and Grayton over the next 8 months will more than offset the cost of full time county employees doing their jobs. No overtime, no outside contractors, using materials on hand. By the way, Labor Day is not the last "big weekend" of the year. Local businesses rely on daily and weekly business to stay open. Homeowners association meetings in October, Columbus Day weekend, Fall wine festival, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, MLK weekend, Songwriters, Presidents day, Valentines, all diminished if the road had stayed closed, and all impacting business owners and their employees, not to mention the waste of gas, and the relative danger of driving on 30A versus 98.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Some want agree but pretty sure this was kick started by mike huckabee. Thanks Huck.

All I know is right before they made the decision to do the patch, I let out a being sneeze for no apparent reason. I'm pretty sure that's what kicked off the decision. Either that or it's a really strange coincidence. Seriously, if I were a well know figure wanting to be recognized for wielding influence, I would keep my ear to the ground, and right before I knew a major decision was about to be made, BAM! I would go all high order demanding action. I get credit for something that was going to happen anyway. Even the original headline ended in a ?question? mark. I think I'm about to fart right now, so keep your eye on the world news for something big!

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
It should have been fixed within about 10 days of the hole appearing - it only took a few days to be dry enough to start repairs. BCC and TDC shouldn't be standing on our toes. Their bosses need to have more power. That's us.