• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

coastaljewel

Beach Comber
Sep 11, 2005
www.gonecoastal.com
There is a workshop on Sept. 17 in re: to the Proposed changes to the Land Development Code in Walton County. The changes are significant and all should be aware of them. They affect residential and commercial development, and the manner in which the county permits/allows parking per dwelling, as well as required parking for restaurants and businesses.

Here is the link to the workshop.
http://www.co.walton.fl.us/civicalerts.aspx?AID=747

I have attached the proposed LDC Change and Memorandum relating to same...I think

Attachments

• Memo for Parking Summary.pdf
    204 KB · Views: 462
  • Parking Ordinance_draft1.pdf
    117.1 KB · Views: 975

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Walton County Small Business Association

If County Commissioners have their way, South Walton business owners will be building a whole lot of new parking lots.

The county's proposal would require the owner of a home larger than 1500 square feet to have two parking spaces, and an additional space for every 500 feet.

The changes would really hit restaurant owners, requiring them to have one parking space for every 100 square feet, and one space for every 2 employees on the largest shift.

Some businesses have been grandfathered-in and would be exempt from the changes.

But if they expand or had to rebuild, they would lose that exemption.

"We have what meets the requirements now and if we have to go with the new ordinance that would mean me I would need about 52 parking spots which doubles the size of my parking lot that I don't have,” Hanie Nasri, General Manager of Marie’s Bistro.

Business owners believe the proposed parking ordinance will hurt existing businesses and keep new businesses from opening in South Walton.

But they say they're most upset because they didn't know anything about the proposal

"It was shocking and disappointing that they weren't even going to let us know, no workshops they weren't going to publicize it on the paper or internet. It was just going to fly under the radar,”. said Louis Petit, Co-owner of Louis Louis Restaurant and Bar

Several formed what they’re calling the Walton County small business association.

They started with five members and have quickly grown to 100.

"We have something going on, let's form an organization and lets move forward and fight the county about this,” said Petit.

The commission will hold a workshop meeting on the issue Tuesday September 17th at 1p.m., and business owners are expected to be there.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I have to ask the obvious question. If you're already pressed for parking exactly where are you expanding to?

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
I'm not sure about the restaurant/business provision, but rental houses need adequate parking. The large houses are rented by groups of 8, 10, 12, etc. with multiple cars. Many of them only have parking for one car. I wondered how they got them approved with such small parking pads.

BR, it looks like it's for new development only, but if you have to rebuild a legacy structure the new rules would apply.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I believe the proposal includes sale of property as a compliance trigger.

I'm not sure about the restaurant/business provision, but rental houses need adequate parking. The large houses are rented by groups of 8, 10, 12, etc. with multiple cars. Many of them only have parking for one car. I wondered how they got them approved with such small parking pads.

BR, it looks like it's for new development only, but if you have to rebuild a legacy structure the new rules would apply.
You're right -- there are a lot of rental (and non-rental) properties without adequate parking. When they park on the street because of a lack of off-street parking, it turns the street into virtually a one-way street. A lot of businesses are without adequate parking as well. They'd all be in a big mess if the new code applies to them.

I read the code and it mentioned grandfathering.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
It's difficult to get a roomful of people to agree on anything, but many small business owners in South Walton are united in opposition to a new proposed parking ordinance.

The proposed ordinance would require all business owners to have a set number of parking spaces at their sites that are calculated using a formula using square footage and number of employees. At present, there are 108 small business owners in South Walton who have come together to oppose the proposal.

"All business people here are concerned about the new parking ordinance and we took responsibility to form a group consisting of small business owners," said William Schissler, owner of Frank's Cash & Carry in Grayton and Freeport . "When you take the number of square feet and employees formula, for me to be in compliance I need 42 parking spaces in Grayton. In Freeport we need 100. I don't have that much land. They say we are grandfathered in. But if a big storm comes through and leaves me with extensive damage I would be required to bring my business into compliance; or if I want to sell.”

Grayton Beach attorney Gary Shipman's practice would also be affected by the ordinance. He is offering his time and expertise pro bono to guide the newly formed group.

Shipman currently has 16 parking spaces for a 4,000-square-foot building. If the ordinance passes Shipman would need 40 spaces. However, he has nowhere to get the extra spaces.

"Other than Publix or Walmart, no one would be in compliance," he said.

Shipman said that when word spread about the proposal, a complaint was registered with the Planning Department, and then a workshop was scheduled.

"There is a groundswell of opposition to this by business owners," he said. "It would be a disaster. No one is saying there is not a parking problem here. But there are other ways to do it.”

Shipman said he plans to present a petition at the now-scheduled public workshop on Tuesday that would have the signature of more than 1,000 registered voters against it.

“We are trying to get answers,” Schissler said. “People come here and love this place, then they move in and want to change the way things are. Beach life is parties, bars, restaurants, but when new people move here, they want it all stopped."

Schissler is serving as president of the newly formed group called the Walton County Small Business Association, Inc. Marie's Bistro owner Hanie Nasri is the group's vice president, and the treasurer is Louis Petit.

"We felt as small businesses we don't stand a chance so we thought we needed to organize,” said Nasri.

Nasri said the first week there were 10 people at their organizational meeting, then 50, then 103 last week.

"Our mission is to make sure we're not stepped on. We're just very tired," he said. "They would have voted Sept. 10 if we had not done what we did."

Petit said he would also be greatly affected by the parking ordinance. His restaurant Louis Louis consists of 4,000 square feet. Petit said he has maybe 25 parking spaces. If the ordinance passes he would need 40 or more and one parking space for every two employees.

“The guidelines are too stringent," he said.

Cindy Meadows said the proposed ordinance originated in the Planning Department, which gets so many complaints that they wanted to do something about the parking issue.

Meadows said all the County Commissioners looked at the proposal and have hired a consultant to give an assessment of the parking needs and how to accommodate visitors and guests.

"It's become a big issue," she said.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
What I heard was Walton COunty says you have to have a certain number of parking spot for every bedroom. And people were building 3 bedroom homes with an office and a den and a sitting area, but after completion its actually becomes a 6br house. Maybe the county is trying to solve a cheating problem.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
http://waltoncountysba.org/

WALTON COUNTY SMALL BUSINESS ASSOCIATION

The Walton County Small Business Association is an organization of small business owners in Walton County whose purpose is to serve as a conduit of information concerning issues which impact small businesses in Walton County and to provide a collective voice for the business community. The goal of the Walton County Small Business Association is to strengthen and maintain a sound economic and business environment in Walton County, Florida.

Pres – William Schissler – Franks Cash and Carry
Sec – Paul Vizard – 30A.TV
Tres – Louis Petit – Louis Louis Restaurant
Hanie Nasri – Maries Bistro
Larry Anchors – Real Estate
Cheri Peebles – Monet Monet – Grayt Grounds
3 additions TBA

The Walton County Small Business Association came about after one person found in county proposals, a parking ordinance update that has repercussions far beyond the intended changes. This ordinance was fast tracked for approval without workshops, or any public or business input. It was set for a vote Sept 12th until Public Works postponed until October, pending discussion. A copy of the ordinance is located below in a PDF
WALTON COUNTY PARKING ORDINANCE

This ordinance affects every business in Walton County. The parking requirements are impossible to meet, thus likely making your business a “non conforming business” and as such, non conforming businesses will have no rights to expand, alter, rebuild after disaster, and can have resale consequences. The statement that it does not affect existing businesses is false.

A county meeting is set for 1pm this coming Tuesday 17th Sept at 1pm at the South Walton County Courthouse Annex 31 Coastal Centre Blvd., Santa Rosa Beach.

1. PLEASE PRINT THIS PETITION, HAVE IT SIGNED BY AS MANY WALTON COUNTY REGISTERED VOTERS AS POSSIBLE AND DELIVER TO THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS/PEOPLE ON OR BEFORE MONDAY 16th SEPT;
PARKING ORDINANCE PETITION IN OPPOSITION

Locations; Dunlap and Shipman 60 Clayton Lane Santa Rosa Beach
Redd’s Fueling Station Blue Mountain Beach
Louis Louis Restaurant 35 Mussett Bayou Rd
Monet Monet – Grayt Grounds Cheri Peebles – Grayton Beach

2. PLEASE ATTEND THIS MEETING, BRING FELLOW BUSINESS OWNERS AND VOICE YOUR OPPOSITION !