• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
I witness two deputies writing tourists tickets yesterday at the Stallworth Lake Beach access. Apparently a partime resident was here for the weekend (Tennessee) and called in a report because he didn't like the idea there were cars (3) parked with two wheels on the pavement along "his" street. Of course the deputies were following orders.

Until we get these parking issues straightened out and along with a moratorium on the issue my opinion is give out warnings tickets.

The tourists are encouraged to vacation here and then their slapped with a $30.00 parking ticket after a fun day in the sun. What's up with that?

"Walton County put on your big girl panties and take our public right of ways back!" before it's too late.

We need the parking.......

Last edited:

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
IMO it is well past time that a more proactive stance by authorities on parking issues should have been taken. Ignoring violations only encourages future problems. County right of way should not be used for public parking.
Why don't they ticket the ignorant drivers who cross over the on-coming lane to park facing the wrong way? This is against state law and very dangerous, especially when leaving. $100 fine would be appropriate.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
A $30 ticket for breaking the rules is just fine with me.

We constantly complain about lack of enforcement, then when they do enforce the rules, people complain about that too!

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Maybe they could start writing tickets to the Lance Armstrong wanabees who ignore stop signs and ride their expensive bikes in the middle of 30a.

sharkstooth

Beach Lover
May 24, 2011
Maybe they could start writing tickets to the Lance Armstrong wannabes who ignore stop signs and ride their expensive bikes in the middle of 30a.

No kidding! Maybe they should be required to have a license...they act like they own the road and do not obey traffic laws. It is aggravating.
Early this summer, Walton county had bicycle deputies riding on 30A. That didn't last long. What's up with that? Just a trial thing? Are the bikes, helmets, etc. gathering dust?

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
The homeowners in Beach Highlands are on a Quest to put a stop to parking on "their" street Highland Ave. Apparently to put this in motion it only consists of presenting 80% of signatures (just from those on that one street) to the county. Beach Highlands offers two PUBLIC BEACH accesses in which at Stallworth there's only a handful of parking spaces. The second public access on Highland Aveune and Bullard Ave the homeowners have placed their own "No Parking" signs to deter the public from parking anywhere. These signs are not issued by public works. I did my homework.

The homeowners have planted vegetation and even placed posts up and down the streets which is 66' of right a way for those who could park in areas close to those accesses with all four tires off the road. Now the residents (mostly part time) call the sub station when a beach goer tries to enjoy the day at the beach and the car has two tires are on asphalt. They are not blocking a drive way and an emergency vehicle can clearly get through.

I've had meetings with Commissioner Meadows, Ryan Douglas, public works and Sheriff Adkinson regarding this on going issue. They agree with me. We have allowed this to go too far.....that's why a moratorium has been put in place. We deserve adequate parking in all of our public beach accesses and it shouldn't be decided by a handful of "IRATE" residents who think it's "THEIR" private access.

Walton Residents Beware: You might eventually have residents trying to control your public beach access parking in your neighborhoods. Look what happened to Blue Mountain Beach! I'm working hard to protect mine and make sure I have a space to park in my old age!

Last edited:

Wavewatcher

Beach Lover
Jan 7, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
It isn't just tourist, I paid my unfair $30.00 ticket. The reason for the ticket "too close to a stop sign". The space that I have parked at for years is not marked "no parking" but "Do not block the roadway" all four tires were off of the road. The Sheriff told me that the "residents hate ya'll" however this is my deeded access I live in Beach Highlands on the North side of 30A and have been paying my property taxes for years. It is dangerous for cars to park up and down Highland, that is a blind hill and I don't blame anyone for not wanting cars on the road but these tickets are ridiculous. I didn't feel like it was worth the drive to DeFuniak Springs to fight nor did I notice that option and I paid it but if I get another one we may have to look at reclaiming that entire parking area which before it was landscaped could park more cars. It is sad when folks move in and have this all mine attitude, hopefully they won't stay for long and move to one of those nice gated neighborhoods where the riff raff won't bother them. My husbands bike was stolen (it wasn't worth stealing) from the access at Highland and Bullard also there has been kitty litter, thorns etc..put in the path to the beach, sounds like someone is nuts.

Last edited: