• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunnydayballoons

Beach Crab
Feb 24, 2010
We were there for a few days last week and the lake level was sooo high some of the docks were under water. I've been checking the Grayton Beach Cam, but can't tell if it is open. We figured with the full moon approaching it might open. Would love to see pictures or video of it opening, it is so dramatic.

TJMay

Beach Lover
Jul 25, 2005
As of today, it still has a ways to go before it breaks out, maybe another 6 inches.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
With no rain in the forecast, it could be a while before it opens.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Will be glad when beaches( dune Allen -Grayton)
Are reclined over 100'+/- average. This will do a better job of keeping the Dune Lakes in their banks. Which is what Mother Nature intended. Not
Flushing itself in the gulf.

TJMay

Beach Lover
Jul 25, 2005
Would you please site the references you used to come to this conclusion?

Thanks.

Last edited:

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
The South Walton Tourist Development Council has received an update on plans for a large-scale beach restoration project.
Local sources will cover the 60-million dollar effort that will cover 18-miles of coastline.
It's known officially as the Walton County hurricane and storm damage reduction project.
South Walton TDC officials say the sand source has been checked to make sure it's free of oil from the 2010 BP oil spill.
They hope work will begin late next year.
Aug 28, 2013
http://www.wtvy.com/home/headlines/South-Walton-Beach-Restoration-221563411.html

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
BP Oil spill damage reults are sans is OK:

13.5 mile area of critically eroded shoreline has been impacted as a result of the oil spill and response efforts this year. Walton County is working with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to obtain federal authorization for the restoration project. The borrow area may need to be assessed for oil contamination prior to the restoration project. Includes Beach Highlands and Dune Allen Beach through Seacrest Beach. Project includes Western Walton County, Beach Highlands and Dune Allen Beach, Blue Mountain Beach, Gulf Trace, Grayton Beach, Seagrove Beach, Inlet Beach, and Seacrest Beach.
Submitted by: FL Department of Environmental Protection.

TJMay

Beach Lover
Jul 25, 2005
Will be glad when beaches( dune Allen -Grayton)
Are reclined over 100'+/- average. This will do a better job of keeping the Dune Lakes in their banks. Which is what Mother Nature intended. Not
Flushing itself in the gulf.

But how will "reclining" the beach by 100 average feet keep the dune lakes in their banks and who said that's what Mother Nature intended?

sharkstooth

Beach Lover
May 24, 2011
But how will "reclining" the beach by 100 average feet keep the dune lakes in their banks and who said that's what Mother Nature intended?

Um, I always thought it was a natural, "nature", phenomenon, the lakes open and close. Why? Would we change the course of nature? To stop the brackish water from flowing into the gulf because for a few days it looks like coca cola? So, surely I'm misunderstanding, no way it would be that the dune lakes would be closed off, they will die! There is no bank for the dune lakes.

TJMay

Beach Lover
Jul 25, 2005
Um, I always thought it was a natural, "nature", phenomenon, the lakes open and close. Why? Would we change the course of nature? To stop the brackish water from flowing into the gulf because for a few days it looks like coca cola? So, surely I'm misunderstanding, no way it would be that the dune lakes would be closed off, they will die! There is no bank for the dune lakes.

Which is why I asked steel1man to explain his statement.

His silence might mean he simply put forth an opinion without any factual basis and indeed, our coastal dune lakes will continue to do what they've done for many, many years.