• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Adjh

Beach Comber
Jan 7, 2011
We have been sowal fans for almost 10 years. We fell in love with the place on our first visit. We always stay in Blue Mt. We normally come down a couple of times a year with our longest stay in July. Last year I spent most of my time disgusted at beach goers who played loud music or let their kids play on the dunes. This year we decided to try October and LOVE it. Is it always like this in October (weather, water, beaches) or did we just get lucky this time? Just wanted a local opinion.

Thanks.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
:welcome: :sowal:

October is OK but look out for all the biting flies, poisonous snakes, mosquitoes, spiders, and alligators. The sharks are especially hungry and fierce this time of year. Also too much pollen from the wildflowers that grow like weeds..

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Kurt. You forgot to mention the man-eating Monarch butterflies that migrate through South Walton sunning themselves on the native scrub oak in October. They look innocent enough, but their peaceful beauty as they flutter by and land on a branch near you is deceiving! Be afraid, be very afraid...

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Those scare tactics aren't working anymore. SoWal is super busy. Fall break is the new spring break!

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Those scare tactics aren't working anymore. SoWal is super busy. Fall break is the new spring break!

You are right! I was there last week & it was the crowded I've ever seen it for October. We kept saying it looked like the Jersey shore at the public beach. The weather couldn't of been better though! October is my favorite time to visit.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
We have been sowal fans for almost 10 years. We fell in love with the place on our first visit. We always stay in Blue Mt. We normally come down a couple of times a year with our longest stay in July. Last year I spent most of my time disgusted at beach goers who played loud music or let their kids play on the dunes. This year we decided to try October and LOVE it. Is it always like this in October (weather, water, beaches) or did we just get lucky this time? Just wanted a local opinion.

Thanks.

As you can tell, you can see that the "off-peak" times in SoWal are wonderful. The busier weeks in October still aren't as busy as the summer weeks, and you can find times in October that don't coincide with the school breaks. It's true that the fall is getting busier than in the past (our cottages were booked two weeks in September and two weeks in October, plus a little more which is more than we've been booked in the past). Also, some beaches are more crowded than others, so I think you'll certainly be able to find a quiet beach area in the fall. So, I say visit and enjoy the off-peak season in SoWal (I think the school fall breaks tend to be the earlier half of October because that's when our cottages were booked). There are quite a few people looking for last minute weekends at the beach as well.

Last weekend was much, much busier than we've seen since we started going to SoWal in October back in 2003. Lots of families and kids on fall break (that's why we were there -- Georgia Tech's break). Throngs of kids hanging out on the street corners in Seaside, just like during spring break. Like Jdarg said, fall break is the new spring break.

More fall breaks to come -- mine starts on Wednesday afternoon. Can't wait to get to the beach! :D

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
October is the month that makes the rest of the year worthwhile. But the Columbus Day holiday is always busy here. Fall breaks and homeowner weekends all fall either before or after that weekend.