• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I think if it's evident that no one is there and it's causing damage and waste they'll do it.

LLC's can be searched on sunbiz.org you can usually find the owners that way as well.

Well, 10 posts ago, I was trying to take the quick route to the property mgmt folks, since they'd already be in the habit of maintaining property in the development, and have the owners' consent too.

The LLC is out of state, not on Sunbiz.

Last edited:

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Well, I wouldn't have thought of that. Didn't expect that Regional Utilities would turn off someone's water at the request of someone other than the account holder.

This is correct. Yesterday when it began to thaw there was a line break next door, in the front yard, gushing down the road. I didn't see it but I heard the Regional truck when it arrived, someone else apparently called, and I went outside. They asked me if I knew who the owner was, and they told me they cannot turn it off without permission. I had the owner's cell # and they were able to reach him, then they shut it off. Otherwise they have to wait for the office to look up the owner and try to make contact.
Seems like a cumbersome procedure but I imagine there is some legal reason............

There ought to be an exception for water breaks. In our neighborhood there were enough breaks that it was lowering water pressure for other houses. Regional Utilities shouldn't be saying they can't turn obvious breaks off just because they don't have a currently absentee owner's permission. Common sense needs to apply.

I'll ask the owners if they're willing to share that info.

We had polybutylene pipe at our home in GA. The first big burst was in the front yard. It flooded the street. We showed the bill for repairs to the water department. We didn't get charged for all the water lost -- I don't remember how much, but I would remember if they had not been understanding. The water bill did go up a bit.

As an aside, a few months later we had a huge break inside the house. Thankfully we were home in the room next to where it happened, heard the loud noise of rushing water, and were able to quickly turn off the water supply to the house. We benefitted from the class action suit against Shell Oil due to the polybutylene. All of our plumbing was replaced, and the house was repaired and repainted at no cost to us.