• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Wow, thanks for being so warm and welcoming. I think I asked a pretty reasonable question. Is the lot worth what they're asking, considering some of the downsides? Obviously we're attracted to the community or I wouldn't be posting this. But I think I'd be pretty stupid to just "embrace it as it is and pay up what's being asked" in ANY neighborhood without checking it out first.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone else out there has any real info they can share. Thanks!

I hate to knock you off your rather high horse, but you might want to look at the date of the original post.

As to you original points:

The roads are private, I'm sure the neighbors would love to start ponying up cash because you can't handle a pot hole or two. Same for sewer and water.
What do you mean by sketchy housing? Not up to your design standard or do you just look down at someone in a trailer?
BTW, every lot in south walton has beach access it just varies based on distance.

Good luck, you seem like the real gem this neighborhood is looking for.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I'd love to live in the Pines. Private water and sewer mean less expensive monthly bills. The roads are fine by me, at least they are paved. But I have an idea for a 'sketchy' house of my own I'd like to build. As to the beach, I'd get a golf cart and then you all can honk at me. :cool:

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
Any updates on this development/community? Hubby and I are considering a lot there, but price seems high considering the condition of the roads, the sketchy nature of some of the housing, no beach access and not sure there is access to city sewer system. Is this a good place to live? What would be the reasonable price for a lot there? Thanks in advance.

Firstly, I'm NOT a realtor.......(!)

You might want to check the Santa Rosa Ridge area, off of 393 between 30A and 98. In particular, Ridge Road and Fairway Drive. Nice quiet community, well maintained homes and landscapes, county water and power, Okaloosa natural gas access to some lots. Within a reasonable walking distance to Ed Walline beach and the shops and restaurants at Gulf Place. Several one-half acre lots that back to the Santa Rosa Golf Club. Almost MOUNTAINOUS elevation (~40 feet). :roll:

My wife and I bought in that Ridge subdivision, and we love it here..............

A good realtor can let you know what's available, and what current prices may be.

I, too, had considered "The Pines", but found that area a little too "electic"......

Last edited:

Bobbi Fisher Henson

Beach Comber
Jan 15, 2014
Firstly, I'm NOT a realtor.......(!)

You might want to check the Santa Rosa Ridge area, off of 393 between 30A and 98. In particular, Ridge Road and Fairway Drive. Nice quiet community, well maintained homes and landscapes, county water and power, Okaloosa natural gas access to some lots. Within a reasonable walking distance to Ed Walline beach and the shops and restaurants at Gulf Place. Several one-half acre lots that back to the Santa Rosa Golf Club. Almost MOUNTAINOUS elevation (~40 feet). :roll:

My wife and I bought in that Ridge subdivision, and we love it here..............

A good realtor can let you know what's available, and what current prices may be.

I, too, had considered "The Pines", but found that area a little too "electic"......

Thank you so much, KWalsh! I have driven back though Santa Rosa Ridge and it is lovely. It is an area that's definitely on our list.

My apologies to anyone I may have offended with my posts. I'm not a mean person. I have nothing against people who live in trailers. A trailer that is well kept and shows pride of ownership is beautiful in my book and I'd proudly live next door.

If we had huge potholes in our street and the street wasn't city or county maintained, then I think the men and women in the neighborhood would probably get out there and fill them ... but there may be legal/cost issues preventing that here, I realize, so please don't slam me for that remark too.

By "sketchy" housing in The Pines, I'm specifically referring to one home that's been half torn down with a dumpster in front of it for at least two years now (I drive that neighborhood every year while we're on vacation). In addition to that -- just stating facts -- there are some other homes that look either abandoned or the owners just don't care to maintain them. For the most part, homes there are wonderful. I'm just trying to figure out with your help if it's a neighborhood on the upswing or on the decline.

I don't understand what's wrong with looking for a neighborhood that's well kept and where the residents care about their streets, lots and homes. I've saved my entire life to make this move and it's important to me. Anyway, again, peace and love to you all.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
The pines also floods badly just a visit in July 2013 would have proved this. Also not very well planned out , looks like the county approved master plan should have had a completed by date :eyesore: